Are You Even A Little Country?
Nov 24, 2002 at 5:26 PM Post #16 of 54
I like country, bluegrass, and related American-roots music in their pure forms (not the modern pop-style country).

They've got great sounds & harmonies, and come from a purely American spirit, which I appreciate and honor.

Nov 24, 2002 at 5:55 PM Post #17 of 54
I looked through the vinyl and there's the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and some Juice Newton. I go over to the CDs and find Lyle Lovett, Roseanne Cash, and Mary Chapin Carpenter. So there's no denying being a little Country, but there is distinguishing from the Country that is the record of the week, 30 minutes of audio with one good song and a public lifestyle modeled on the Soaps.

Nov 24, 2002 at 6:14 PM Post #18 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
I must agree with chadbang, Johnny Cash has a very good voice. I would listen to more of him but I don't care for his subject matter most of the time. That ring of fire song is the one exception, I like that song despite it's subject.

Johnny Cash came out with a set of three cds a couple of years ago grouped by theme. They were God, Love and Murder.

From what I hear, the Murder disc outsold the others by a rather significant margin.

Nov 26, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #20 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamK
Johnny Cash came out with a set of three cds a couple of years ago grouped by theme. They were God, Love and Murder.

From what I hear, the Murder disc outsold the others by a rather significant margin.

I may look into these.

This is America, murder always is a big seller here.
biggrin.gif

TimSchirmer: I'm member of a gun club, probably not the one you listen to though.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I plead ignorance, who is Gun Club?

Nov 26, 2002 at 9:28 AM Post #22 of 54
I'm almost into country but am put off by the fact that the title has been massacred by people with designer cowboy hats making top 40 songs.

I really really like the majority of Sun's recordings, from Orbison to Elvis to Cash. Interestingly (to me anyway) I'm not a fan of rockabilly, but do like its roots.

Dylan's Nashville Skyline might be my favorite of his albums.

Lucinda Williams is one of the coolest people in music today, Lyle Lovett's stuff is great - to those who've never given him a shot keep and open mind and take a chance with The Road to Encinada. Someone keeps trying to tell me The Country Teasers (a band who's artwork I always thought was a little satanic and who's music is a little too hardcore but also strangely interesting) is "legitimately considered country" but he also smokes a lot of herb and, well, isn't right in the head.

There's others who's music I've loved: Willie Nelson, Woody and Arlo Guthrie, Ramblin' Jack, but sometimes I feel "country" has become so bastardized by modern music that "folk" is the appropriate title (and this is further proof that titles are lame). Patti Smith wears a cowboy hat and sings of horses, is she country?

A little bit of twang, a story, slide guitar...

Nov 26, 2002 at 3:48 PM Post #23 of 54
Not generally into country/bluegrass, though I admittedly need more exposure. I absolutely love Lucinda Williams, and I think Allison Krauss is pretty good. There are a few more I'm forgetting at the moment...

Nov 26, 2002 at 10:07 PM Post #24 of 54
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[size=xx-small] Originally posted by AdamK [/size]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 3 CD's in the collection are all compilations of past, mainly older, Johnny Cash songs. Some go back to Sun Records, others to early Columbia recordings. All are good!! Made when Cash was sounding really good, both voice, band and production values. Highly recommended.

Also good are the 3 CD box set, The Essential Johnny Cash, and a couple of 2 CD sets that are imports, that are mainly from Sun Record masters.

Nov 26, 2002 at 10:43 PM Post #25 of 54
How 'bout Vernon Oxford? I listened to his 1976 LP 'I just want to be a country singer' and have gotta say...... if that's not country then I don't know what is.

I have been a big fan of country for many years now and was practically weaned on the stuff. From an early age I remember my father playing Waylon, Willie, Dolly, Tammy, Tompall Glaser, The Statlers, Porter Waggoner, Patsy Cline et al.

I guess it stuck with me.

Personally I now prefer to listen to the more non-mainstream stuff from likes of Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, Heather Myles, Kelly Willis, Townes Van Zandt, Guy Clarke, Nanci Griffith, Gillian Welch, Doug Sahm (!!).

I do however like the 'new country' sounds of George Strait (although his heart doesn't seem to be in it anymore?), Merle Haggard, Terri Clarke (like George Strait with ****!), Wynonna, Suzy Boggus, Mary-Chapin Carpenter, Alison Krauss, Kasey Chambers, Travis Tritt, Alan Jackson, Ricky Skaggs.

In recent years i've been exploring the country rock scene and have turned up some fantastic stuff by Mike Nesmith (ex-Monkees), Gram Parsons, Flying Burrito Brothers, Byrds (you must listen to Sweetheart of the Rodeo), Dillards, Country Gazette, Gene Clark, Chris Hillman, Steven Stills, John Hartford, Poco, Linda Ronstadt, New Riders of the Puple Sage (Grateful Dead by any other name...).

Country gets short thrift by a lot of people, which is rather unfair. True, some of the song are absolutely dire and the comic element of things like the tune to Beverley Hillbillies gets put forward as what country music is by some people. I'd like to bet that if some of the knockers actually sat down and listened to it properly and in an adult manner they would like. Trouble is, some people dont like the truth do they?

They're loss, not ours.

It was interesting to note that when Boyzone (irish boyband) released their cover of "When You Say Nothing At All" in the UK, sales went ballistic and the public loved it. Not once was it mentioned anywhere that the track had been written by Paul Overstreet and recorded originally by Keith Whitley who did fine job of it, and also recorded by Alison Krauss & Union Station (who to my mind did the best ever recording of it).

Sound As Ever!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2002 at 11:46 PM Post #26 of 54
My mother was a big C&W fan so I grew up listening to the likes of Hank Snow, Hank Williams, Ernest Tubb, etc. I still know the words to many of their songs. I've always been mainly into Rock music but it often swayed in a C&W direction with the Eagles, Poco, Souther, Hillman, Fury etc.

A band from the early 70's, The Amazing Rhythm Aces, was one of my favourite country-rock bands. For years I looked for their old stuff to be released on CD but couldn't find it....until a couple of months ago when I discovered their early work had been finally released in 2000. I immediately ordered their first 4 albums ( which I still have on scratchy vinyl) and have been playing them heavily since. I doubt many/any of you remember Jesse Winchester. Originally from Louisianna, he moved to Montreal in the late 60's to escape the draft. His career plumetted due to lack of U.S. exposure because of it. The Amazing Rhythm Aces had been his back up band until he split. Their big hit "Third Rate Romance" and their Grammy winning song "The End Is Not In Sight" were written by Jesse. He also penned one of my high school anthems "Twigs and Seeds".

When I received the Amazing Rhythm Aces CD's I sent an e-mail to a Jesse Winchester website, asking if the Amazing Rhythm Aces had indeed been his backup band ( I wasn't 100% sure at the time ) I was surprised to receive a return mail from Jesse himself, confirming and giving me more detail. If you ever get a chance, check them both out. Nice mix of folk, rock, country, gospel and bluegrass.

Nov 27, 2002 at 4:02 PM Post #28 of 54
what're the top 5 bluegrass cd's to get? did the Olde Opry ever come out with a Best of Bluegrass cd?

that said, I live in AZ. and I have to go out into the Rim country to hear Western. Best Western I ever heard was in Montana and Wyoming. I usually tell people, "I don't like country, but I do like Western". Real Western is hard to find. For me, country has to have a fiddle or violin (like Garth Brooks). Otherwise it's the girl singers who pull me in.

Anyone have a copy of "Little Ol' Cowgirl," by the Dixie Chicks?

BTW, I'm a die hard Disco baby.

Nov 27, 2002 at 5:13 PM Post #29 of 54
I just remembered another cd I have. It's a 2 disc set titled:
The Essential Flatt & Scruggs [size=xx-small]'TIS SWEET TO BE REMEMBERED[/size]

I got it because it has Foggy Mountain Breakdown. I can't beleive that I forgot about this album. I like their style of Bluegrass.

Nov 27, 2002 at 10:34 PM Post #30 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
Anyone have a copy of "Little Ol' Cowgirl," by the Dixie Chicks?

Yup!

Sound As Ever
smily_headphones1.gif

currently listening to Marvin Gaye - Lets Get It On
Krell MD10/Studi >- Audiolab 8000Q >- Tube Tech Genesis monoblocks >- ProAc Response 1SCs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back