Are you destroying your hearing? Got a SPL meter?
Feb 3, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #31 of 35
If I had a large custom made room and a projection system, I'd be all set, no need to go to the theater. But even with a good fairly large widescreen HDTV or even plasma, you completely lose the effect of how the movie was supposed to be seen...

Feb 3, 2002 at 6:26 AM Post #32 of 35
I have a problem when listening to stuff like the guitar solo in the song Peace Of Mind from Boston (S.T.). The vol. always goes waaay up. I need to measure that.

I think Ety has an earplug they recommend for movies.

Feb 3, 2002 at 6:31 AM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Er uh, the movie can't be too loud. There's a volume knob next to the project just like there is on your amps at home. Maybe you meant to say that the Lord of the Rings was too dynamic--that is, it had whispers and for the whispers to be easily audbile, the noises that were intentionally loud were uncomfortably loud.

Whatever. It put some pain on my ears that was definitely unhealthy. I haven't experienced that in a movie house before...

Feb 3, 2002 at 8:15 AM Post #34 of 35
This is a very good idea. I know for a fact that I have lost some of my hearing from listening to headphones too loud. For example, when I'm in a noisy place like a resturant or a mall and someone next to me is talking to me I can't hear them very well. I keep having to ask "What was that?". It sucks. So be good to your ears because when you go deaf you won't be able to enjoy this hobby any more.

Feb 3, 2002 at 10:24 AM Post #35 of 35
There has been a trend lately (he past 10 years or so) about movies getting louder, with all the special fx and stuff. Whether it is from the editing or at the theater end, doesn't matter a whole lot, unfortunately my guess is that the theaters turn the sound so that it is loud enough for opening night with a packed house and noisy people. That means it will be painfully loud when the theater is less crowded and fewer noisy people.

I always try to carry earplugs to the theater with me anymore, occasionally for a slow-moving drama or "chic-flic" I might leave them out, but I usually put them in. With the Ety earplugs I get most of the dynamics and an even response curve, I occasionally miss some of the quietest parts, but that is the price I'd rather pay.

We usually see about 6 or 8 first-run movies a year, we'll see Star Wars 2, Spider-Man, and LOTR 2 this yearon opening weekends, and maybe a couple of others. For most movies I don't have to see right away, I'll wait a month or so and see them at our local dollar theater. I do have a growing DVD/Video collection, but with only a 27" TV the experience isn't nearly the same as a theater. I'm waiting to see how HDTV pans out and prices drop before I spring for a bigger TV.

-Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back