Are you addicted to accumulating music?
Jun 29, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #16 of 30
I almost feel prey to the horrible disease. One day I put on an old Deftones CD. I knew every word every note and I absolutely loved the feeling. This was one of my albums. Then I put on a somewhat newly acquired Skapel album. I didn't know this album at all, along with the other 50 albums I had bought that month. I loved having lots of music but hated not having that intimate feeling with my music. That made me miss the days when I had no job and could only buy two CDs a month cause that's all my allowance would allow. I actually knew and loved every single one of my albums back then.

I consider myself a music lover not a music collector. So if you're a music lover whats the point of having thousands of albums if you don't actually get intimate with the music? That was my logic. I've stopped buying massive amounts of music. I buy about 5 albums a month now. That gives me enough time to get a good feel on the album as well as giving me time for old favorites. I think music collecting is the worse thing that could happen to a music lover.

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #17 of 30
I like to buy music too, but luckily (or unluckily
frown.gif
) restricted by money! Every now and then I go out and buy CDs. I'm still trying to get through my digital music library (not as big as some of you guys', but still weighs in a heft 110GB iirc) and am ashamed to say I don't know my music very well at all.

Jun 29, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The key thing, though, is that when I'm not actually buying music, I'm quite often looking for music to buy, which suggests that there is a real addictive element. I also buy music that I don't expect to like just because I feel I should have it in my collection, which is just insane really.

Same here
biggrin.gif
. I tell myself, no more new CDs for the month, then I'm browsing these threads, come across something, and next thing I'm at the record store again.

Jun 29, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No I'm not addicted I just have a couple..........well maybe a few...................hundred, you know how it is.

100_2649.jpg

Nice CD shelf . . . how many does it hold?

Jun 29, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #20 of 30
I have a lot of music and I don't see me stopping anytime soon. I go through phases where I will be on a "classical" kick for months, then jazz, then alternative/indie rock, then film scores, then operas etc.

Considering a lot of the music I listen to was written 300 years ago, I figure I have a lot to get through before I've heard everything that I think I will like, even just once.

Jun 29, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #21 of 30
I used to buy constantly but then kind of dropped off. Am back into buying again, but have the problem that many others seem to have where I don't have time to fully absorb the new music. In my world of irony, I now have the cash to buy as much music as I want but no time to enjoy it.

Jun 29, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And where did you get it.

My digital music library is over 200G. I own around 1500 CDs and 400 LPs. Rarely does a week go by that I don't buy a few CDs.

Jun 30, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #23 of 30
I look at this shelf unit in Sky Magazine everytime I fly. I'd love to be able to fill it up!

102219753x.jpg

Media Storage Tower 76" Triple holds 2262 CDs, 936 DVDs, 528 VHS tapes or 456 Disney tapes.

Jun 30, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #24 of 30
Unfortunately for me, my music accumulation is largely prohibited by the fact that I'm too young to get a job. I've been averaging 1-2 CDs/month, and that's it. (I wouldn't mind 1-2 CDs/week instead...) Fortunately, my father has an epic amount of music that I approve of, so I can spend my time working my way through that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a lot of music and I don't see me stopping anytime soon. I go through phases where I will be on a "classical" kick for months, then jazz, then alternative/indie rock, then film scores, then operas etc.

Considering a lot of the music I listen to was written 300 years ago, I figure I have a lot to get through before I've heard everything that I think I will like, even just once.

that's exactly why i acquire more music than i will probably not listen to in the near future. i'll listen to it eventually. however, remember, you won't die if you don't hear absolutely everything you could possibly enjoy. i will keep this in mind in the future, since i have to stop at some point.

on a somewhat unrelated note: my harddrive recently decided to die and i lost like, 80% of my music. my unethical habit of selling after i buy bit me in the ass, in addition to my stupid habit of not backing up my data. i guess this time around i'll be more careful. i'll think of it as a way to filter out the stuff that i had that i didn't like..

Jun 30, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #26 of 30
I accumulate music at a rate of 5-10 discs a month. Guess I am partly addicted.
tongue.gif

Jun 30, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #27 of 30
My CD collection is small (600+/-) considering that I've been collecting since 1985. I also own around 50 DVD-A/SACD and around 120 DVD concerts.

My "favorites" are at around 5,500 songs that I chose for my iPod.

Jun 30, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #28 of 30
The scary thing is when hoarding music becomes an end of its own: you know very well you don't have the time to listen to all, but you still keep on bringing music in. You justify yourself: "if I don't buy it now, I might never get it later, or at least not at this price. And anyway, there are more expensive hobbies than buying music..."

If you have stores that sell cheap used CDs in your neighborhood, then god helps you.

Jun 30, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The scary thing is when hoarding music becomes an end of its own: you know very well you don't have the time to listen to all, but you still keep on bringing music in. ...

Truer words were never spoken.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 30, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif

896 CD's, it comes broken down but with good assembly instructions. not exactly herloom furniture but decent enough and it does the job well.

Here's where I bought mine.

http://www.cdrackshoppe.com/OVM-0896.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back