Are you a single's guy or an album's man ?
Mar 18, 2004 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Newbiez

100+ Head-Fier
I was the former, only listens to single due to the fact that I was poor, not interested enough in music and have not much budget for buying cd that might turn up as crap.

But I'm starting to get into the album mood nowdays, helped alot by The Strokes, Blur, Oasis, Interpol, White Stripes, The Streets, The Thrills (my fave band) .... guess you know where my current ear lies towards. I'm starting to enjoy how some albums simply connect from one song to another, even though the next track might not be half as good, but it simply makes up the album itself, makes you apprieciate a certain aspect of the album, a certain song, a certain lyric.

How about you? Have you bought one too many bad albums to simply consider taking or buying our only some singles that you will like, rather than waste putting an entire cd away simply because some of the songs are not good enough, therefore dragging along the song that you liked down with them into history ?

Mar 18, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 54
I have bought albums in the past after hearing only one song, and then finding that the rest of the album sucked. However, I now check out the whole thing by listening to samples on the internet before I make a purchase, especially with a new, unfamiliar artist. Nevertheless, I will still purchase blindly when it comes to a favorite artist because I really trust their style, and know I will most certainly like and appreciate the work.

Mar 18, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 54
Mostly a singles guy, since I tend to be in the mood for very specific songs. Plus, my mood tends to change after listening to some of the songs, so by the time I get through half an album, often I'm in the mood for something else. Plus, most albums just aren't consistently good enough.

Mar 18, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by spaceman
I have bought albums in the past after hearing only one song, and then finding that the rest of the album sucked. However, I now check out the whole thing by listening to samples on the internet before I make a purchase, especially with a new, unfamiliar artist. Nevertheless, I will still purchase blindly when it comes to a favorite artist because I really trust their style, and know I will most certainly like and appreciate the work.

Words out of my mouth
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #5 of 54
Definitely an album sort of fella.

Singles just annoy me. They are a problem to store and you no sooner sit down after putting it on then you are getting up to turn it over again.

I like .... no, I love albums. Some artists work lends themselves to full albums and often individual tracks make no sense when taken out of their original context. Too wit, Pink Floyd (along with other prog-rockers) or pretty much anything from a concept album.

Having said that I do have albums where I only really like say 2 of 10 tracks and find myself shuffling back and forward between them. Some albums are just plainly excellent and can be listend to in full without skipping tracks.

Mar 19, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #6 of 54
Definitely an album guy. It takes a REALLY bad song on an album to make me skip through it -- and then, the rest of the album has to be so much better. If I only like one song, I will usually copy it from the album it is on and put it on a mix cd, which I will then listen to in its entirety...

Mar 19, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 54
Some albums are really much better when you listen straight through. Other albums are basically only as good as the parts they are made of, but there are still interesting, good songs and completely new styles you would never know about if you had only heard the radio singles. Other albums are only as good as the radio singles, unless you really like that artist.

I probably go about 50/50. A lot of times I will pop a CD in and listen to the whole thing straight through (or listen to a whole album I've ripped to .mpc), but other times I will just pick and choose songs off my hard drive one at a time.

Mar 19, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #8 of 54
I'm def. an album guy, but when it coems to music I have ADHD and like to skip through things a lot sometimes.

When I do listen to singles though, I like to compile playlists that run through, like albums, rather than changing CDs every X minutes.

Mar 19, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #9 of 54
i'm the worst kind, both for me. albums for the whole experience, and the singles for the collectibility, the radiohead drill ep goes for 400.00 unGodly dollars in some circles. beyond that alot of them are limited releases and become quite scarce eventually. check out eil.com for proof.

Mar 19, 2004 at 1:54 AM Post #10 of 54
Albums only. I don't think I've ever bought just a single, excluding the iTunes music store at least. I've never been burned with a really crappy album, not yet at least, but I usually sell stuff back to the store if I don't like it.

Mar 19, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #11 of 54
Almost exclusively albums. I'll buy the occasional single if there's some rare material on it (B-Sides, live stuff, etc).

I listen to albums more or less straight through. It seems more cohesive that way. Sometimes I skip a track or two. Sometimes I only listen to a 5 or 6 song segment (about half the album. usually the first or second. like on an LP). That's really it.

Mar 19, 2004 at 10:58 AM Post #13 of 54
albums - start to finish (gimmicky "hidden tracks" excluded)

Mar 19, 2004 at 11:50 AM Post #14 of 54
Album - definitely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back