Are you a SET kind of guy?
Sep 16, 2008 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

papomaster

500+ Head-Fier
After owning an Antique Sound Labs 1010DT for two weeks, I must admit that I'm sold on it
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
. Really digs every nuance and texture on recordings. And 18W/channel makes it strong enough for most floorstanders.

Are you a SET kind of guy?

Sep 16, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #3 of 25
I love SET's for headphone amplification. The speakers I use just need too much power for a SET amp, so I use EL34's in triode mode.

Definitely a tube-guy. Now that I am hooked, any solid state amp I hear sounds sterile and lifeless.

Sep 16, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #4 of 25
Is it OK to love more than one topology? SETs have a gorgeous sound - my next two projects are SET. One with the 417A and the other with the 45.

But I love OTL, too. My primary headphone amp is OTL and am close to finishing another OTL amp.

And my speaker amp is push-pull.

I love them all. Though it would be less expensive if I could just settle on one thing.

Sep 16, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #6 of 25
Voted for What option.
SET = Single Ended Tube?
confused.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #8 of 25
Oh, thanks. I did google a bit, but 'set' being such usual word in English I didn't find anything useful.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #12 of 25
SET's are awesome for what they do, but they are definitely not for everybody, especially in the speaker world.

Luckily, SET's are great for headphones, and Single-ended pentodes have a groove all their own.

For speakers, some of the switching amps can be a greater option: Halcro, JVC hybrid digital amp, Spectron, Hypex, Tact/Panny, etc.

Sep 16, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #13 of 25
Chiming in on SET, myself. A mids freak now using speaker rigs for my headphones, losing all interest in "headphone amps" currently. Addicting.

Push Pull with my horns. Pushing at 19 tubes glowing around the house at the moment (there's an endless thread starter), and have just kinda begun with tubes.

But I have Got to get some 45's. Can't part with my sets to upgrade.
dt880smile.png

Sep 17, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by foo_me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
300b SET + K1000 = my favorite headphone/amp combo!

x2 (or at least really close)

SET is a sound that is not for everyone. But there seems to be something magical about it.

Cheers,

Sep 23, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #15 of 25
I definitely love the sound of triode tubes, but have never owned a true SET amp of any kind. There are a LOT more triode headphone amps than SET amps out there. I own 6 tube headphone amps - 4 use dual triodes, and 2 use pentodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back