Are you a cable person?
May 24, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #16 of 199
Yes, why? simply because they do sound difference regardless of what my scientific knowledge is telling me.

Just a friendly suggestion, I recommend someone to spend only as much as 20% of their total cost onto cable. For anything higher than that, then I suggest that person to upgrade other parts of his component first.

May 24, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #17 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by ex0du5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, okay, okay. I gave in :p.

Fixed
rs1smile.gif

We support our local firemen... I won't flame anyone...
very_evil_smiley.gif

I do hear differences between $3 IC's vs. $30 IC's.

If I can attract more girls with more expensive cables, then by all mean, I'll get some...
tongue.gif

Hope my wife don't catch this thread.
tongue.gif

May 24, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #20 of 199
Indeed I am - in my system, they make a large difference.

May 24, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #21 of 199
I'm a cable guy. I wasn't, but then I heard the difference.
eek.gif
I also took calc based electricity and magnetism, and I can definitely see how factors such as inductance and capacitance in cables would be able to affect sound quality. I'm speaking about headphone cables and interconnects only. I still don't buy into expensive power cords.

May 24, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #22 of 199
i agree with the first few posts. if you ahve over 10$ in cables you're crazy. theres nothing wrong with wanting well built, nicely finished snazzy looking cables, but 350$ cable for 300$ phones is hard for me to get.

Now, if you are spending 5k on an amp and 3k on a dac, it might be reasonable to not want any weak links, and if 300$ confirms that, it may be worth it.

i hate it when someone is running an hd650 out of an xfi and someone recommends a cable when the author asks what to do next. that is COMPLETEly RETARTED.

May 24, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #23 of 199
Not a cable guy. I buy cheap OFC cables with gold plated connectors and that's about as far as it goes. I have heard these so called high end cables in my and other peoples systems and I couldn't tell the difference between them and the cheapo interconnects I have been using for years.

May 25, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #24 of 199
You mean that to say that, to you they make a large difference.

I've tested out $50 balanced speakers cables compared to $4000 balanced speaker cables on our B&W Matrix 801 at home (with a Simaudio Moon Eclipse as source) and I heard no difference myself.

May 25, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #25 of 199
Steaxauce, if those are the only factors, then cable people wouldn't be buying $1000 cables, they'd be putting 2$ capacitors in series with their cables.

Capacitance and Inductance should be taken care of by the amp and/or the speakers/headphones.

May 25, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #26 of 199
Definitely not one.

I hate the smugness of people who believe in cables, their arguments are usually reduced to:

1. You've not got/heard them in a high end enough system.
2. You don't have *my* super hearing

Very few people are willing to debate physics, which I find abit strange, as they are usually the ones who are investing the serious money in it. I think you're already abit silly if you're throwing money at something you clearly do not understand.

May 25, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #27 of 199
My setup is not detail revealing for me to detect the difference between a $30 DIY cable and something more high end than that... But I really haven't tried many. So my exposure/experience is very limited.

May 25, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #28 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by ex0du5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steaxauce, if those are the only factors, then cable people wouldn't be buying $1000 cables, they'd be putting 2$ capacitors in series with their cables.

Capacitance and Inductance should be taken care of by the amp and/or the speakers/headphones.

eek.gif
That's a terrible idea. The only reason anyone puts capacitors in the signal path is to prevent DC offset, and they're generally detrimental to sound quality. Anyway, that wouldn't add capacitance to a cable in the way capacitance is referred to when discussing cables. If you want to add capacitance to a cable, just make it really, really fat. Anyway anyway, you want capacitance to be as LOW as possible.

Capacitors in series with our cables. Eyeyeye
blink.gif

I'm not going to start discussing physics. period.

May 25, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #29 of 199
i believe!
tongue.gif

i look forward to going home each day to my fledgling equinox'd setup. i don't care what skeptics say, i love the sound, the gf hears a difference and my cable increases my enjoyment of this great hobby that much more. therein lies their value to me. (plus i really can hear a difference!)

May 25, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #30 of 199
Ok, I do believe they make a difference. On my 650s I'm using Equinox cable and could tell a difference between it and the stock cable.

Initially I was using the Audioquest King Cobra cable to get the signal to my amp. I then upgraded to the Jaguar (a charged cable) which is about $350 and it really opened up the sound and tone.

I think its a lot like most audio stuff once you get past a certain point you can spend thousands for a mere 5% increase in sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back