are we allow to bring mobile phones into the US?
Aug 11, 2008 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

m11a1

500+ Head-Fier
recently i have heard that you cannot bring in mobile phones AND ipods from another country into the US, is this true? anyone recently traveled? and by recently, it was about a week ago when this new restriction came up.

Aug 11, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 27
Really? Serious? Where did you hear this,I'm interested. I DO know that the US has stated in some idiotic move that at security checkpoints at airports they can now seize your laptop and hold onto it for AS LONG AS THEY LIKE AND they can search the entire hard drive's contents!

Its madness,man!

Aug 11, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 27
You CAN bring them in, but they can be confiscated for an undefined period of time, without warning, without you being a suspect or whatever.
They then can take it to an also undefined place and search through it, copy whatever data there is on there and after whatever amount of time, hand it back to you.
This goes for all foreign travelers to the US of A since the start of this year. Gear that's not safe anymore are laptops, ipods, mobile phones, iphones i.e. whatever carries digital data.
Pretty sick huh
eek.gif

Aug 11, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 27
I apologize on behalf of 99% of the citizens in the US (who are watching their freedom wash down the tube as well).

The control freaks are out of control.

Instead of naming the enemy and concentrating efforts in that direction, we are all perps now until proven innocent.

Aug 11, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
save your phone #s before entering us... geez

Or just don't go to the US....

Aug 11, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or just don't go to the US....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
save your phone #s before entering us... geez

Yeah...
It's not that you might loose data but that they can have acces to your personal data which is none of their business.
Also when you run a business and you have to be in the States for work which could require a laptop it's not very pleasant someone taking your lappy, looking through your data and copying whatever suits them...without you being present...without any notion of why...
I find that a pretty disturbing thought.

Aug 11, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that a pretty disturbing thought.

Agreed.

No politics, so I'll just leave it at that.

Aug 11, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #10 of 27
I may be the only one who wonders how exactly this is different than their long standing right to search through any physical documents, pictures, etc. that you may have on you...

Just cause it's digital doesn't mean it's special.

Aug 11, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may be the only one who wonders how exactly this is different than their long standing right to search through any physical documents, pictures, etc. that you may have on you...

Just cause it's digital doesn't mean it's special.

This goes a little further than just a "search through", don't ya think? They confiscate your stuff for an undefined period of time...
Physical info or digital doesn't make a difference BUT digital is easily copied, spreaded or even modified so in that case I do mind just a little bit more about digital content.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back