Are We All Parasites? who Need To Get A Life?!!!!!
Mar 6, 2010 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

norskman

100+ Head-Fier
[size=x-small]Hello Everyone.

I hope very much my Title did not shock you to much..I did not say the above..thankfully..this was said to me tonight by a Offical Disrubutor of High End Hi-Fi equipment.and supported almost totally? by a representitve of a Manufacturer in the States of DACS!!

To say I was shocked would be an understatement..I was not expecting it..and,well it left me numb,upset and angry...

I was told People who frequent Forums are Parasites who need to get a life and there advice and opinion is worthless!!!!I just could not believe it..I am the first to admit I am ultra sensitive..but even so..I felt angry and told the person so he then tried to back track only to come back with even more deflamotory comments!! this guy phoned me after i contacted him via email about this companies products..

He basically expressed an opinion that all you guys are without any real knowledge of audio..unlike him with 20 years in the buisness?
his manor was high handed and arrogant to put it mildly..he told me ACTIVE speakers were useless..and than the advcie I have recieved from several forums was rubbish...

At the same time the Company whos products I was interested in mailed me..and when I reported basically what there distributor had said..he actually agreed? in large part with his views..Amazing!

It got me wondering if this forum with all its Companny sponsors & close links..How many of them have the same or similar low opinion of us and folk like us? and they only tolerate us for our $ £ e.t.c.

Manybe I am very innocent? but I do not judge folk like this..I told the guy who phoned I did not like his manor or sweeping biggotry!

Just wondered if any of you..who are far more experienced and knowlegable than I have come across anything similar

anyway that is enough of my off loading

all the best

to some great people

Cheers Steve

excuse the poor spelling e.t.c.[/size]

Mar 6, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 39
He is entitled to his opinion, just like we are entitled to ours.

Good quality active monitors do not have "audiophile" quality amplifiers in them, and by that I mean ridiculous specs that you couldn't hear anyway, but they can have very high SNR and low distortion. My monitors have two class AB amps in each, and like most class AB or class A gear takes over an hour to warm up and sound good. When you turn them on, there is very little treble and extremely muddy bass but after an hour everything is clear and focused.

So maybe this guy was aware of that fact and he doesn't like active speakers for that reason. It seems like a pretty stupid reason though, since any Class A/AB amp he has will require warm up time.

Mar 6, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 39
Kool Bubba Ice
Well said my friend ..excellent!

Ipod PJ
Good to hear from you..He was only interested in trying to sell me an expensive system? he admitted as much when I told him my budget! and he took a verabl step back and then changed completely and said Actives will be good!He for soem reason thought I was after a high end audio rig..when I ahd explained that I was only interested in the DAC for my laptop..it was as clear as can be...I only contacted him because he is the distributor here in Norway for these US Dacs...

Some of the Guff he came out with was amazing...

I only have limited means..and simlicity is key aand if I can attain good sonic qulity that is a bonus...

I intend to buy the Audioengine A5s and this >DAC?< and cables if needed?to go with my Dell Studio !7 (32 bit) laptop.
I do not have a Home Hi-Fi or Cinema and never will have..Keeping the whole thing compact will help also as I maybe moving in to a new place where space will be limited...

all the very ebst Steve

Mar 6, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 39
That is not only bad business, it's simply rude. Sorry you had that kind of encounter with a vendor. Whether or not he is entitled to his own opinion does not make it OK to foist it off on others in what seems, by your description, to be a highly aggressive and myopic way. In considering his words it occurs to me that the things we most are most vocal about complaining of in others, is usually a strong reflection of what we don't like in ourselves. They also sound like the words of a highly insecure and jaded individual with a chip on their shoulder.

Mar 6, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 39
Hello Jax
Many thanks to you for your kind words and observations....I must admit i lead a somewhat sheltered excistance and i am one of those who do not get out much..e.t.c. I must be one of the peole he calls a parasite..think that is why i was so angry whilst speaking to him..he just kept on talking over me..insecurity must be in there somwhere..and a lot of chips to...

I have just communicated with someone who is not only knowlegabel about all things audio but is very highly repsected both in the industry and in wider audio world and he just said the following:- and I attach is quote... Quote:

This sort of thing happens from time to time in the world of fine audio. There are some wonderful folks in the business, but then there are some who are in audio for all the wrong reasons: to exercise their egos and preferences and to pontificate at the drop of a hat. These are people whose pathologies and obsessions run amok…their customers are the firing range that they use on a regular basis.

Very true words

anyway all the best to you
regards Steve

Mar 6, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 39
Of course they are entitled to have and express their own opinions.
But running a business, hence also having the need of customers, they should be a bit more careful about how they express it. Or it may just turn back on them...

I would be interested in knowing which distributor in mention. Considering I am located in Norway as well, and might want to stay clear of this one.

Mar 6, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by norskman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Jax
Many thanks to you for your kind words and observations....I must admit i lead a somewhat sheltered excistance and i am one of those who do not get out much..e.t.c. I must be one of the peole he calls a parasite..think that is why i was so angry whilst speaking to him..he just kept on talking over me..insecurity must be in there somwhere..and a lot of chips to...

I have just communicated with someone who is not only knowlegabel about all things audio but is very highly repsected both in the industry and in wider audio world and he just said the following:- and I attach is quote...

Very true words

anyway all the best to you
regards Steve

Just in case I was not clear, Steve, I was not referring to you, but to the vendor (though certainly the same applies to almost anyone). The quote you shared from who I assume to be another vendor certainly has come truth to it in my own experiences. I think the extremes of any pursuit will probably attract some 'unique' individuals, and often becomes a vehicle to elevate one's ego. It comes with the territory.

Mar 6, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #9 of 39
There seems to be a world full of sell confessed experts in every field. Unfortunately if you do not have the means to obtain the level of their equipment then they feel you are somewhat inferior and hence they have no problem talking down to folks. It is really unfortunate when it comes to you from a person in the business who is there to sell and profit from your purchase. I always try to remember the following I heard along time ago and it is appropriate for this post I think:

Exspert!!! An Ex is a has been and a spert is a drip under pressure. I guess I never want to be considered an expert.

Mar 6, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 39
Hello Jax
Good to hear from you mate..I never thought for a second you meant me..I was just expressing an opinion about my self..thats all..
Everyone including Eagle Eye make very valid points about folk not just in Audio but in all walks of life..i suppose it is just because this an audio forum...but i have no doubt it happens elswhere to.

Kr mathis..I do not feel it appropriate to mention names.Other than to say Bergan and Audiophile gear?

Graphicism...I know nothing of what you refer to, so can not comment on if it maybe the same company..sorry.

Mar 6, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by norskman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kr mathis..I do not feel it appropriate to mention names.Other than to say Bergan and Audiophile gear?

That makes you an accessory to the crime; without naming names you may as well of made up the story and said that yourself.

Mar 6, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #15 of 39
Plaidplatypus

That is a well made point...I to am very grateful to both Head-Fi and other audio forums for all the patience they have shown and advice they have so freely given
Graphism

You are entitled to your view.... mine is ..not wishing to stir up a hornets nest..

weather folk beleive me or not really is up to them

all the best Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back