Are We All Parasites? who Need To Get A Life?!!!!!
Mar 6, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #16 of 39
Sorry I forgot in all the replies on this...

To ask if anyone knows of any users of the MUSICSTREAMER DAC`s? I am close to making a definite choice so would value some good feedback

all the best Steve

Mar 6, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #17 of 39
I felt he was speaking as though we don't actually listen to audio equipment but we spend our time just discussing it. My god, that is a warped view.

If the common "parasite" has better common sense than this, where does that place him, or his company for that matter?

Mar 6, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any chance that this 'Offical Disrubutor' was banned from head-fi for writing false reviews about his own products and now feels bitter towards forums? ...Or maybe he was just high?

That's what was going through my mind too. I think some people here need to relax a little and go outside and get some fresh air but 99% of people are fine.

Mar 6, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by norskman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry I forgot in all the replies on this...

To ask if anyone knows of any users of the MUSICSTREAMER DAC`s? I am close to making a definite choice so would value some good feedback

all the best Steve

I have not tried them, but they are getting pretty good real-world response, especially the plus version. Those were designed by Kevin Halverson of Muse fame. I have owned a couple of Muse front ends and they were both excellent.

As far as anyone actually telling you what you should and shouldn't listen to...for me the conversation ends right there. I don't care how much experience they have...the idea is as silly as someone telling you what food you should like, or what music you should prefer, simply because they have experience.

Mar 7, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #20 of 39
This is probably one of the few forums I know of where the people actually do know what they are talking about. When a good portion of the base is EE or from at least some sort of engineering/science based field the odds are pretty good most will know what they are talking about, especially in the DIY section.

Mar 7, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #21 of 39
I had dinner with an audio distributor once who said many of the same things. This came up when he asked what part of the audio world I was in, and I told him I was the administrator of this place. He had no kind words for audio forumgoers (he actually wasn't too familiar with Head-Fi)--if I didn't have thick skin about such things, I might have been offended. I was surprised how inconsiderate he was being, considering I just told him I was the admin of an audio forum.

This was not the only high-end audio industry person to share these kinds of opinions (about how the online world was affecting high-end audio) directly with me, or in my presence, over the years.

At a popular audio show several year ago, I had my nametag turned backwards (not on purpose), when a well-known audio writer decided to start making fun of all the new internet audio experts who were showing up with press badges. (He was talking to one of the vendors, not me.) Again, not a kind word was uttered by this guy about what the web meant to high-end audio (as he saw it), and that's putting it very kindly.

Frankly, I don't think the old guard of audio was prepared for how the web was going to affect their industry. Going back many years, we used to read our industry magazines, our feedback to the wider audio world limited to whether or not the editors would publish our letters of feedback and opinion. The experts were the experts, and they wrote in print, and everyone knew who they were. The manufacturers and distributors knew who they were dealing with, because the circle was rather finite. Actually, I think this is true for the old guard of many an industry.

The times they have changed.

I will say that I've found the high-end headphone part of the high-end audio world has been far more receptive to community feedback and participation, and more welcoming of it. I think this is because it was always such a specific, smaller niche of audio, and we all kind of grew together.

Anyway, long story short, I'm not surprised about what you heard.

Quote:

[size=x-small]....I was told People who frequent Forums are Parasites who need to get a life and there advice and opinion is worthless!!!!I just could not believe it..I am the first to admit I am ultra sensitive..but even so..I felt angry and told the person so he then tried to back track only to come back with even more deflamotory comments!! this guy phoned me after i contacted him via email about this companies products..

He basically expressed an opinion that all you guys are without any real knowledge of audio..unlike him with 20 years in the buisness?
his manor was high handed and arrogant to put it mildly..he told me ACTIVE speakers were useless..and than the advcie I have recieved from several forums was rubbish...

At the same time the Company whos products I was interested in mailed me..and when I reported basically what there distributor had said..he actually agreed? in large part with his views..Amazing!

It got me wondering if this forum with all its Companny sponsors & close links..How many of them have the same or similar low opinion of us and folk like us? and they only tolerate us for our $ £ e.t.c...[/size]

Mar 7, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #22 of 39
It makes sense that he would belittle an alternate source of hifi information, it's only in his best interest to do so.

Of course, it's a rather petty thing to do, but then peddling hifi gear in the age of the internet means that it's much harder for dealers to be viewed by potential customers as the last word in audio.

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #23 of 39
Hello Guys

I have being sat her at almost 4 am..reading your replies..and what you have all said in your own ways just shows just how wrong this guy is!! about us all...

Jax I thank you for the added imput re the MUSICSTREAMER..Hope there are a few folk out there who have first hand user knowledge of these products it certainly would help my making a considered choise?

Once agin many thanks one & all

all the best

Steve

Mar 7, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a great forum IMO.

In response to the OP:
I hear this more and more from people who claim "20+ years experience in audio." It seems like the more "experience" they have, the more upset they get when things challenge their beliefs.

Mar 7, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #26 of 39
This un-named Distributor probably considers us to be parasites because he knows we buy used gear, and repair old gear, and drool over tube gear, and (gasp!) do-it-ourselves instead of lining up to buy his over-priced new gear.

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #27 of 39
It sounds like this high-end distributor had "qualified" you as a "high roller" who was ready to drop some big bucks on an expensive system or component. He was probably hoping you would agree with, or at least be curious about his views, then he would offer you "admission" into his elitist "club" by tailoring a very fine piece of uber-expensive gear specifically to your wallet's needs. You would have to think that some of the higher-end audiophile customers actually depend on the opinion of people like this, as they don't want to take the time to read reviews and forum opinions for themselves; "Just give me the executive summary".

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #28 of 39
These oldschoolalphamalehighend salesman are a dying breed. Just ignore them, they won't last much longer in the internet age.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #29 of 39
Im proud to be stupid and not have a life
smily_headphones1.gif

And i have alot of music and nice audio equipment to enjoy that life i dont have
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Kr mathis..I do not feel it appropriate to mention names.Other than to say Bergan and Audiophile gear?

Ok, fair enough.
Guess I could figure it out if I looked further into it, as there are few audio gear distributors located there. But I will just move on..

I usually do not buy through local dealers or distributors anyways, since their prices are far from competitive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back