Are VD ICs Overkill in my system?
Jun 23, 2003 at 11:15 PM Post #16 of 19
OK..here's what I did today....

I connected the VD Nites direct from the 963SA to the Corda HA-1 mkII and put on my Sonys and some CDs....

Oh my!

The improvement was not subtle with the direct source to amp connection. Soundstage opened way up, deeper visceral bass...more air around everything and articulate but tamer highs, no grain whatsoever...wow..these babies aren't going anywhere.

In the meantime, my speaker system will just have to deal with the digital feed from the 963SA for CDs as well as DVDs. If I want to hear the upsampling, it will be on the headphones.

My turntable is still using the phono amp in my receiver for now and I will use the receiver's phono jack for headphone LP listening for the time being.

OK....problem solved and ears are ever-so happy now. I suspected the receiver tape loop/Outlaws step was choking the sound and I was right.

Ahhhhhhhhh...this is just how I remember these CD3Ks sounding with the Philips>Nites>Corda HA-2 setup I had before. Bliss.....
3000smile.gif

Jun 24, 2003 at 3:49 AM Post #17 of 19
I think your bottleneck is in the phono stage. It is probably best to stick with the cables. If you sell them to upgrade something else, then you might want the cables back again for the next upgrade!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2003 at 1:23 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
I think your bottleneck is in the phono stage. It is probably best to stick with the cables. If you sell them to upgrade something else, then you might want the cables back again for the next upgrade!
smily_headphones1.gif

You hit it right on the head. With the direct connection of the Nites between my CDP and Corda adding so much improvement....I am thinking the next upgrade will be to a nice phono stage for the turntable and the Corda Pre-Head with its multiple inputs.

Thanks for all the input guys and for bearing with me going through my sonic twists and turns.
3000smile.gif

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back