Are thicker IEM cables comfortable?
Mar 31, 2021 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tisquinn

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm thinking of grabbing an aftermarket cable because I need a different termination than came on the stock cable. I am wondering whether I should get a 4, 6 or even 8 braided cable. The latter look cool! (I doubt I'll be able to notice any sonic differences.) But I was wondering if the thicker cables are less suitable for use on the go (and with glasses). I was sort of thinking sticking to something thinner but high quality would be the way to go. But since so many seem to love the thicker cables, I'm keen to hear why! Is it for sound reasons? Just to look bling? Do you like the way they feel? Is it a trade off with comfort? Thanks!

Apr 22, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 3
Cables are the most contentious issue in all of audiodom. Coolness, yes. Function? Not so clear.

Get what you like. In general there is a fine line between too thin and too thick.

Too thin means they get in knots and tangle and eventually self-destruct. Too thick means they're heavy, microphonic, pull the IEMs out of your ears etc.

Probably the middle road is the best way to go.

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 3
I have a 8 core, 16 core and 24 core on the way. I think the 8 core is too thin for my taste. The 16 is great and looking forward to the 24.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back