Are these three players drag and drop, for certain?
Nov 28, 2007 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Gonz

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry to ask, and I'm pretty certain, but I just want to double check...
If someone who owns these could answer definitively, that they are, or are not, drag and drop devices...

Creative Zen 8Gb

Sony 8GB

Cowon D2

As the guy who needs it is getting deployed, and I'm thinking that Uncle Sam won't want Creative software installed on his PCs.

Trying to decide between the three of these, so any additional input to help decide would also be great. Thanks very much.

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 23
Cowon D2: yes, definitely drag 'n drop.

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #4 of 23
Good, thank you both very much.

Now just need to hear on the Zen.

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 23
the zen, like the last few generations of creative players is MTP, requires a windows machine with windows media player to load music, i´ve asked several times on this and its also mentioned in the A818 VS Zen thread,

Nov 28, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #7 of 23
sorry about the deployment,
anyways, now that i have read more in to the subject, you should also go to a store and play a bit with both players to see which one is more sand proof, the botons on the sony might be problematic, on the other hand, the D2 has a SD card slot which can be problematic with sand,
you sould also consider to see which cases there are for each and their durability, the SD card slot problem can probobly be solved by putting a piece of duct tape over it,

also, the Cowon has a normal mini USB cable which is easly replacable for 3-5 bucks, while the A818 uses a propietary sony cable which can only be bought online or in specialized sony centers and it will set you back around 30 dollars, so if the cable is lost or damaged, the sony cable will be ALOT more difficult to replace,

so, i dont know where you are being deployed, but if its the middle east or central asia, you should really think about which one is easyer to handle under dusty and sandy conditions,

Nov 28, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #8 of 23
The D2 can do both UMS/MSC mode (i.e., looks like a hard drive, you can drag/drop your files, etc.) or MTP mode (i.e., works best by using synch software, such as MediaMonkey, WMP, etc.).

One note: latest firmware updates for the D2 automatically place it into MTP mode - Cowon's decision, but I feel they ought to make that obvious to owners in the docs.

- wader

Nov 28, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by wader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One note: latest firmware updates for the D2 automatically place it into MTP mode - Cowon's decision, but I feel they ought to make that obvious to owners in the docs.

Wader, can the modes be switched in the settings or are you stuck in MTP-only mode?

Given the situation, we want to be sure the player is seen as an external storage device, and not relying on *any* software.

Nov 28, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wader, can the modes be switched in the settings or are you stuck in MTP-only mode?

Switching is accomplished through the player's onboard settings, via the touchscreen interface:

Settings -> System -> USB Connection -> {MSC, MTP}

- wader

Nov 28, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by wader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Switching is accomplished through the player's onboard settings,

Still a viable option then. Thank you Sir.

Nov 28, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so, i dont know where you are being deployed, but if its the middle east or central asia, you should really think about which one is easyer to handle under dusty and sandy conditions,

Its not me getting deployed, but a friend...
And you have a good point about the sand, it gets into everything.

As for the Sony cable, thats the only downfall I can find on the unit, and to me, doesn't seem like a big deal. Just a modicum of care and that cable should really last forever.

Nov 28, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #14 of 23
Sony is definitely drag and drop (I have the A818 - did NOT install any software - it shows up as Walkman on my XP computer). There's a tiny door over the cable area which should help with sand, but it'll still be vulnerable. It fits perfectly into an Altoid tin with room for a protective piece of bubble wrap.

As I've said in other threads, the A818 (black) is now $158 online at Walmart.

Hope this helps in your decision making.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back