Are these the right headphones for me? (Baby’s first +100€ model, plus two papable contenders)
Dec 16, 2020 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Sinistrail

New Head-Fier
Thanks to Joe for verifying my email.

[Disclaimer: this post was insanely long before and still kinda is, because I tend to write a lot. I cut it down, used bullet lists for immediate comprehension, and hid non-immediate stuff under spoilers so it's less of an eyesore. I really am a clown].

Hello everyone, I came here because I need a new pair of headphones, but I’m torn on what to choose, so I might as well ask the more experienced than me. Watch me go:

I am looking for a nice pair of headphones, priced anywhere between 100 and 150€, mostly for listening but that can aid me with my tracks.

• I will use them 70% of the time while listening to music, 25% of the time while producing mine like an amateur, and 5% of the time for more casual stuff like gaming and anything video-related like watching films. I'm aware that this would be some sort of compromise in the end since nothing is great for every single type of use.
  • Main genres of music are... pretty much everything? But, quantity-wise: two thirds of it will be mostly instrumental, specifically electronic, the remaining third being more “human music” with singing and real instrumentation. (Should I make a playlist or something?)
  • Bass gives me life, and quite a bit of what I like is based around it, but A, I don’t want to drown in it and B, I like to listen to something balanced more than something gratuitous in the end. I also find the very very highs to add richness to the sound, and I don’t want lackluster drums.
My current headphones are the 20€ Sony MDR-ZX310, which don’t even have a frequency response graph uploaded online – but the WH-CH510, which pretty much almost sounds identical to my hear, just louder, has some. It won't let me put in links nor images so I'll just say: bass is definitely just a bit overpowering (would like to have only emphasis on low and highs), mid-range is okay-ish, and it has a recessed treble range which may be the cause of the un-punchy drums that sometimes sound far away.

Requirements:

• Detachable cable [must]. Wireless is cool for some types of devices, but headphone cables don't irk me and BT headphones may not benefit me in some situations.
  • “Portability” as in, device-oriented convenience. Anything with ohms around the thirties is fine. I may get an audio interface in the near future, but I want an amp to just up a good experience, not be compulsory for it.
  • A certain degree of build quality. If it's a model known to desperately need vital replacements within a short timeframe, I'd hate it. But "resistance" as in weather/sports isn't a factor for me since while I may move with my headphones on, it won't be anything violent, and I won’t go outside with them. Same would go for isolation/leakage, I guess. I also wear glasses – plastic frames since I was born and for life for an array of reasons. [P]leather never chafed my skin, never tried velour... as for the bridge not ruining itself over time, my hair is average greasy.

My two main contenders up to these point have been the Philips Fidelio X2HR and the Audio-Technica M50x, both permanently reduced to about 134€, tax and shipping included (even cheaper during Amazon’s Black Friday, the Fidelio especially was down to 99 from 268€ since they’re trying to phase them out in favour of the X3), but I’m beginning to be partial to the idea that the Fidelios might be better for me. Anyways:

The X2HR:
+ Detachable cable.
+ Comfortable pads.
+ Leather isn’t being touched directly – memory foam pads and fabric sub-band, so less wear and tear.
+ Good imaging and better soundstage compared to the Audio-Technicas – they also have a flatter freq graph.
+ Have always had good experiences with Philips products, including a cheap pair of headphones... and this is supposed to be something better but with a hard discount.
- The (single) cable is too damn long for casual use! I will need to get a 0,8/1,2m one along with it. If you can clip it to shorten it without it being a hassle, tell me.

My runner-up, the ATH-M50X:
+ Detachable cable.
+ Seems to be fit in equal parts for casual listening and production.
+ Bass-oriented sound signature seems more enjoyable for stuff by Squarepusher, Aphex, etc.
+ I have two friends – one simply “into it” and one who uses it when working with audio – who recommended me these specific ones. The latter makes a living with them, so, y’know, good publicity. I’ve seen they have some haters, but in the end they’re really appreciated in the field.
+ Multiple cables, a pouch, etc...
- Seems to be prone to more wear and tear both generally and in some extreme cases.
- The person who has initially pointed me towards them has said that despite the ATH recommendation, the over -50% discount Fidelios are an absolute bargain that I shouldn’t let go, and that they should be just about as good for production.

You can see why I’m split between these two at the moment! But to be honest my situation is currently me leaning towards the Fidelios, but subconsciously thinking that someone may point me out to a fine alternative that I haven’t considered. Hence why I came here.
I am aware of those Grado headphones in this price range, and some Sennheiser and Sony models that I’ve seen named, but haven’t looked much into them. So, there’s definitely some two or three more models for me out there, I guess.

In the end if you want to recommend models better fit for my requirements within the same price range, help me choose between the two, or scold and teach me, please leave a thought.

Dec 16, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #2 of 6
First, welcome to Head-Fi!

Second, do you plan on traveling or using these with a portable player or while on a plane? If so the M50x is going to be much better for that as they are smaller, more portable, sealed, and easily to fold up. If not then the X2HR/27 is an excellent choice. It has a better build than the M50x, scales better with better amplification and music, and it currently my top recommendation for an open-back headphone. A few caveats about the X2HR. The clamp force can seem a bit much at first, but loosens up in the first 2 weeks of use. If you have a small head they might not fit super tight on your head, but I have a pretty small noggin and this is not an issue. The pads aren't easily swapped for OEM pads so if pad wear is a major concern look elsewhere. I've had mine for a few months with no issues.

The X2HR has a hi-fi sound with mild mid-bass emphasis that will get you groovin' without sounding boomy or untrue to the source. As for the Grado line you will be sorely disappointed. They are all bass light, terribly uncomfortable, and I've had serious quality control issues with their wooden cups.

Since you are into nice bass here are a few tracks that you may like:
1.) Tempo on the Lounge Chill Out Sounds Volume 3 album
2.) A Teenager in Love from the My 50's & 60's Collection album
3.) Pirates Medley by Peter Hollens on the Covers Volume III album
4.) Vulture Tourist ( feat. Haptic ) by Riesen on the Synths and Notes 45 album

Dec 16, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #3 of 6
My two cents.
Monitor headphones that are good for audio production are going to be different then headphone for audio enjoyment.
Monitor headphones need to be boring, you do not want one part of the sound to overshadow the other sounds, your analyzing, not really enjoying.
Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506 seem to be good bargains for monitor headphones, buy used off eBay and expect to spend about $7 for new ear pads.
Then for audio enjoyment, Soundmagic HP200 (open) headphones or HP151 (closed) headphones.

Dec 16, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 6
Second, do you plan on traveling or using these with a portable player or while on a plane? If so the M50x is going to be much better for that as they are smaller, more portable, sealed, and easily to fold up.
Nope, it will basically be exclusively for indoors listening. I've only ever used my headphones during travles sometimes (so not more than a handful of times a year), but only because the noise basically cancels out all the damn lows so I need the isolation. Normally on public transport I carry 6,49€ Sony earbuds because I'm listening to music more for "diversion" than for enjoyment.

So, outside is not a priority. The prospect of keeping a thang on me as big as a pair of headphones is dreadful. I'd rather explore the world of more expensive, enveloping buds later than to get something for all physical situations while sacrificing something else.
A few caveats about the X2HR. The clamp force can seem a bit much at first, but loosens up in the first 2 weeks of use. If you have a small head they might not fit super tight on your head, but I have a pretty small noggin and this is not an issue. The pads aren't easily swapped for OEM pads so if pad wear is a major concern look elsewhere. I've had mine for a few months with no issues.
I wouldn't say I have an exceptionally large head. As long as they only start "fitting" on me with time, I am totally fine with the pads.
Also read about how they're "unique" and not really replaceable anymore, but I found out now that there are 3D printable designs for the proprietary mounting mechanism. Were I to keep them after a few years, I'd ask a friend to help me out.
The X2HR has a hi-fi sound with mild mid-bass emphasis that will get you groovin' without sounding boomy or untrue to the source. As for the Grado line you will be sorely disappointed. They are all bass light, terribly uncomfortable, and I've had serious quality control issues with their wooden cups.

Since you are into nice bass here are a few tracks that you may like:
1.) Tempo on the Lounge Chill Out Sounds Volume 3 album
2.) A Teenager in Love from the My 50's & 60's Collection album
3.) Pirates Medley by Peter Hollens on the Covers Volume III album
4.) Vulture Tourist ( feat. Haptic ) by Riesen on the Synths and Notes 45 album
Thank you. Since you have a Fidelio, would you mind telling me how this sounds? Just a quick peek, 1:00 to 3:00 pretty much encapsulates the range of the song. Indeed I am looking for bass you could describe as velvety, really present but not overpowering, so bass like this sounding good - and the drums during the late second minute being punchy enough - would seal the deal for me. (This was recorded live, FYI).

Monitor headphones that are good for audio production are going to be different then headphone for audio enjoyment.
Monitor headphones need to be boring, you do not want one part of the sound to overshadow the other sounds, your analyzing, not really enjoying.
Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506 seem to be good bargains for monitor headphones, buy used off eBay and expect to spend about $7 for new ear pads.
Sadly yeah, that's the "compromise" part coming in. I put forward the Fidelios myself because besides an accent on the high bass and less recessed trebles, they're basically flat elsewhere. Also read on RTINGS that they are a more budget-y and valid alternative for mixing and were compared to the HD 800 and the DT 880/990.
The M50x are a bit more like the MDR-V6/7506s, who all have some of the bass raised to stay closer to the 90 dB line on the graph, with high bass bumped up for the M50x which obviously isn't the case for the MDRs since they're supposed to be monitor headphones.
I will not exclude some used MDRs in the future though, thanks, have already heard good things about them (and some artists I love whose footsteps I'd follow genre-wise have used them, which speaks good to me).

Dec 17, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #5 of 6
Dec 17, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 6
I once listened to the ATH-M50X headphones, though they where something for the younger, which liked bass and was not that picky for over all sound quality, and did not want to spend much over $100 for headphones.
But do make what I would consider good durable headphones for on the go.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back