Are these Shure's the ones I want?
Jun 1, 2007 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Eldirial

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking into getting a new pair of canal phones. I am also saving up to get a real setup (perhaps imod+hornet+something, not sure yet) But, being a poor college student, that's not happening.

Which brings me to this.

Available sources include - Ipods, 3rd and 4th gen, a 1st gen nano, and I would imaigine my girlfriends 2gen shuffle. (yeah, I know, apples what the family gives as gifts, what can I say)

I am looking for a pair of canal phones that will sound wonderful not amped, but preferably gain from being amped in the future. Anywho...

I am looking at the Shure SE310 - it's about my pricerange and I have had a good time with Shure in the past. Idea's? Comments, suggestions, complaints?

Sorry for double-posting this, but nobody seemed to be looking at it in the other forum - I didn't name it anything interesting, methinks.
- David

Jun 1, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 8
E4/SE310 (they're the same thing right?) do improve with an amp, but still sounds good without one. Shure's warranty service is fantastic, so you don't have to worry about defects and other potential problems. The hiss from the 2G Shuffle might be a problem though, since I had a problem with hiss with the 1G Shuffle, and the 1G was better than the 2G in terms of hiss.

Jun 1, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 8
Not the same, but comparable in price and both one-way armature.
If I were in your shoes Eldirial, I would chose the 310 too.
At I got the E4 and am very happy with its smooth sound, but the 310 seems to give better bass.

Jun 1, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #5 of 8
I will probably not be using the shuffle all that much - I enjoy the size, sure, but it's not the best player that I have.

Anyways, thanks for the advice so far - if I have a chance I shall be picking them up today (one of the reasons I am limited to Shure is I have a bestbuy gift card that will cover most of the headphones)

What type of amp should I look into to run them in the long run? Hornet/Tomahawk, etc?

Jun 1, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #7 of 8
My e4c / 2G nano combo is listenable with the Ety ER4p-S cable (75 ohm attenuator IIRC) or the $20 attenuator you get with the UE 5pro, so the shure 310 would probably work well too.

Jun 1, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #8 of 8
The Shure SE310 is not hte same thing as the E4c, in my opinion it's a much better headphone. I really enjoy the SE310 sound (although it could use just a touch more sparkle in the upper mids/highs for my ears). I don't think the SE310 gains that much from an amp (or at least, it doesn't with my GoVibe 6), but a lot of that is because they sound really good straight out of the iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back