Are these people right that crystal clocks sound different?
Mar 18, 2016 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Sonic Defender

Headphoneus Supremus
So I have been following a thread of people who modify their SPDIF/USB converters with different clocks. Now to read the thread you would swear there are massive differences, but my understanding is that clocks have really, really similar oscillation properties that may vary in precision in the multiple decimal places. So is there any science that supports audible differences based on global clocks?

Mar 19, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 15
A USB> SPDIF converter generates a SPDIF stream.
The rate of this stream is used by the receiver to generated the sample rate.

A clock is an analog device.
It has the normal analog imperfection
Its cycle to cycle time will vary, this is called intrinsic jitter.

The bigger the intrinsic jitter the more input jitter at the DAC.
This is the simple part, better jitter performance means less input jitter at the DAC.

However, DACs might employ all kind of tricks to cope with input jitter
-       None
-       PLL
-       ASRC
-       FIFO

Even if there is jitter (there is, that’s inherent to analog imperfection) that does not necessarily means it is audible. Some say 20 ps is the audible threshold.
Others claim even lower values are audible. http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/BitPerfectJitter.htm

I do think it is obvious that improving the clocking improves  jitter performance.
This is measurable e.g. run a J-test.
If performance is already below audible thresholds it won’t help us.

Only a proper unsighted test can tell us if it is a real differences or a perceived one.
Most of the time the “unsighted” part is lacking in the reports :)

Mar 19, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 15
  So I have been following a thread of people who modify their SPDIF/USB converters with different clocks. Now to read the thread you would swear there are massive differences, but my understanding is that clocks have really, really similar oscillation properties that may vary in precision in the multiple decimal places. So is there any science that supports audible differences based on global clocks?

Donno, but I can tell you the TASCAM UH-7000 is astonishing.

Mar 20, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #5 of 15
I don't get this jitter stuff.  I can't see how or why DACs could or would rely on the input digital signal for the output clock. If the signal was on a 16 wire wide lane, I could see it, but it's serial. Obviously I just don't get how it works though.

Mar 20, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #6 of 15

Only a proper unsighted test can tell us if it is a real differences or a perceived one.
Most of the time the “unsighted” part is lacking in the reports :)

Well, as you can imagine when I made the "mistake" of asking if anybody there was doing blind listening testing to confirm their assumptions I was instantly informed how science couldn't be discussed in the thread. I weep for humanity. I have an open mind, but if people won't test their assumptions I am forced to discount their views as opinion only.

Mar 20, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #7 of 15

Absolutely there is "science that supports audible differences based on global clocks". It's called the science of marketing.

Remember that only high end audio is concerned about global clocks and jitter. ->
High end audio is now firmly within lifestyle and luxury goods market. ->
Lifestyle and luxury goods are all about marketing. ->
High end audio is all about marketing. ->
Global clocks and jitter are all about marketing.

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #8 of 15
  Global clocks and jitter are all about marketing.

^This!
Originally Posted by Roseval /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[1] Some say 20 ps is the audible threshold.
  [2] I do think it is obvious that improving the clocking improves  jitter performance.

1. Yes, people say all sorts of things but I've never heard of a reliable test on actual commercial content which demonstrates an audible threshold below 20ns.

2. Not really, not if you are talking about the clocks themselves. Processing of the clock signal has advanced significantly in the last 20 years or so and while manufacturers employ various different methods of processing this signal, they all, AFAIK, employ at least one method. Improving the clock itself is therefore largely irrelevant, an ADC or DAC could easily have a relatively poor clock compared to another ADC or DAC but have better jitter performance depending on how that timing signal is processed after it leaves the clock.

I was instantly informed how science couldn't be discussed in the thread.

Yep, there's no point using logic like; jitter is defined by science, so any rational discussion about it must include science. The problem, as ralphp effectively mentioned, is that the science does not support the marketing or those duped by it. The only solution to this problem is therefore to eliminate science!

So is there any science that supports audible differences based on global clocks?

There is certainly evidence that using an external clock can create audible differences. We are talking about very low level differences though, near the limits the threshold of audibility. Crucially, in any discussion about global or master clocks, is the nature of those differences and this is where the marketing and the science head off in completely opposite directions! Given optimal processing of the external clock signal by the receiving ADC or DAC, there will be NO difference between running it on it's own internal clock signal or an external one. However, few ADCs and DACs process the external clock signal optimally, in which case it's performance will be poorer with an external clock signal, possibly audibly poorer.

If an external clock will never provide any improvement, why do they even exist? Many studios use them, in fact I use one myself in my own studio. However, I don't use it to improve audio fidelity, I use it because I often have to synchronise and lock various simultaneous signals together from different sources and the tiny potential loss in fidelity caused by using an external masterclock is insignificant compared to the inaccurate synchronisation of not using one. When I don't need to synchronise signals from different sources, then I bypass my masterclock and run on the internal clock, to maximise fidelity. In a consumer environment there is no synchronisation of simultaneous signals from different sources, so a global clock will at absolute best make no different and at worst audibly degrade the signal.

If you're interested, here's an article, including tests (from a highly reputable source) on the subject: Can an external clock signal really improve the performance of your digital audio devices?

G

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #9 of 15
I don't get the external clock thing.  If you've got a two way communication protocol with flow control there is no reason you can't buffer two streams locally on the DAC and grab one and exactly one sample from each stream for each analog output cycle, all controlled by the internal clock.  I suspect this nonsense is a result of how slowly standards change, but with high speed wires now there's no reason for it.  This must cost pennies to implement and could still be backward compatible with isynchronous push only systems. I suppose I can see it for fiber, but not really.

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #11 of 15
  Loves me some jitter, usually after a quad espresso. Mmmm jitter.

After switching to a non-oversampling R2R DAC, I've noticed that jitter plays less of a role to sound quality than a quiet USB. However I have 0 science to back it and purely just by listening.

A few questions:

1) How would you describe the sound of jitter?

2) What role does jitter play?

3) What is "a quiet USB"?

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #12 of 15
The best I can tell is the treble seeming to have a lot of etch and sort of an annoying character to it, like it's shrill. It's apparent going from a ddc like a Gustard U12 or Audio-Gd di-u8 to the stock usb input. Specially say a Schiit bimby, that was quite a transformation in sound. Ymmv

A quiet usb is one that does not have interference from say a fan turning on in the computer or an odd noise when moving an optical mouse. This is power related. Ymmv

Another issue is a pop or pause, this is timing/buffering issues that is related to jitter. Ymmv

How does jitter play a role? Usually it's the caffeine causing it.

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #13 of 15
The best I can tell is the treble seeming to have a lot of etch and sort of an annoying character to it, like it's shrill. It's apparent going from a ddc like a Gustard U12 or Audio-Gd di-u8 to the stock usb input. Specially say a Schiit bimby, that was quite a transformation in sound. Ymmv

A quiet usb is one that does not have interference from say a fan turning on in the computer or an odd noise when moving an optical mouse. This is power related. Ymmv

Another issue is a pop or pause, this is timing/buffering issues that is related to jitter. Ymmv

How does jitter play a role? Usually it's the caffeine causing it.

Thanks for your answer.

As I understand it in your set up you going computer USB output -> digital converter (from USB to either coax or optical) -> DAC and there is a noticeable change in sound from just going USB -> DAC, even with a USB capable DAC.

As for your explanation of "quiet USB", either the computer noise or the pop/pause version, I would think that this more the result of some operating system glitches affecting the USB output rather a "fault" of the USB itself.

Again, thanks for continuing the dialog!

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #14 of 15
Correct (on chain and output) but back to the original post, I've noticed that when using a Non-oversampling DAC like my MHDT Labs Pagoda (r2r), if you can clean the power section of the usb it has very similar results to a full blown DDC. And I'm not the only one here with like-results, Luckbad currently has my Audio-GD DI-U8 with similar results between it and his USB regen. He is also using a Non-oversampling DAC.

Maybe he can chime in, after he's done testing it with his DACs he's shipping it to the buyer of whom I've already sold the ddc to. I'm currently using a ifi purifier 2, not as good as the di-u8 or the u12 but very close at 1/4 and 1/2 the price respectively. Odd thing though I didn't get as good as a result with the Schiit wyrd but even that had a different nice.

The moving of some optical mouse and fan turning on and noise is directly related to the 5v of a computer.

All ymmv needless to say.

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #15 of 15
From what I've experienced, you need pretty resolving gear to be able to perceive improvements from a discrete DDC.

At my place right now, I have an UpTone Regen, Audio-GD DI-U8, and CL Audio Transient MKII.

When A/B testing, I honestly can't tell any of them apart.

I have two MHDT Labs Atlantis DACs that I like using simultaneously for A/B testing using a matched pair of GE 5670 Triple Mica tubes.

I use a Schiit Sys to perform the switching if I'm using two DACs, or I just use the buttons on my DAC if I'm directly testing the USB->S/PDIF converter via BNC or RCA vs. USB input.

Most of the initial comparisons were performed using a Garage1217 Project Horizon III w/ Supercharger and a 6N6P tube.

Current comparisons are being performed with an Amps & Sound Mogwai using a GE 6SL7GT preamp tube and either JJ 6CA7 (Apex matched) or Svetlana Winged-C 6550C power tubes.

I'm using Sennheiser HD650s and JVC HA-DX2000s as my headphones for testing.

To put it in perspective, I can perceive differences between straight USB input and any of the three listed options. They're all slightly cleaner, slightly less soft, slightly more engaging than straight USB. I can't perceive a difference between any of the three themselves using two DACs.

can perceive a difference between plugging one DAC directly into a wall outlet and the other into an Emotiva CMX-6 behind an ISOBAR 8 Ultra. Again, it's a little cleaner. I don't notice any other difference like improved dynamic range, soundstage, or anything of that nature, just cleaner sound.

I don't trust my perception entirely, though. I have my system set up so I can blind test myself or have my wife do the switching for me.

If I can't identify the "improved" option 4/5 times or feel like I'm probably guessing, I don't consider it an actual improvement. If I can actually verifiably identify which is better to my ears, it stays in the chain.

As such, I'm sticking with the UpTone Regen since I can't tell it apart reliably from even the $700 Transient MKII, but can tell it apart from being fed directly from USB.

The standard YMMV disclaimer applies.

My setup is intentionally musical and isn't especially resolving compared to a lot of preferred setups. I have 4 tubes in my chain and headphones that are considered treble-shy by many (but not by me). My DAC is non-oversampling, which also seems to me to mean it shows differences less obviously than an 8x oversampled signal.

The fact that I can more reliably pick out differences with 192kHz music versus 44.1kHz music (same 2L.no tracks in different sample rates) seems to bear that out. Higher sample rates tend to flatten treble response, and I can tell more differences in the treble region than anywhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back