Are these MTPGs fake?
Jun 8, 2011 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Stanley Speel

New Head-Fier

Hi,
as some of you may know, my Monster Turbine Pro golds were starting to go, but I was refused a warranty by monster due to buying from an 'unauthorized reseller' (AMP3.co.uk). However, AMP3 very kindly offered me a replacement pair, however I have a suspicion that they might be fakes, as they are quite different to my previous pair. Please could anyone confirm that they are or arn't? The reasons why are think this are :
  1. the 'strain relief' bits differ greatly to the original ones I had (see pics)
  2. the 3.5mm connector 'center' sticks out from the rest (see pics as this is hard to explain)
  3. I don't think that the sound is as good as my previous pair - there is some distortion at higher volumes and the bass isn't that good - however this may well be down to me using a galaxy S2 and an integrated PC soundcard to test, as opposed to an HP ENVY beats pc that I dropped (although I still think that they should sound decent as apparently the GS2 has an ok DAC)
  4. And finally (this is very strange and I have no pics of it) the serial number is GY337 (old pair was GD688) but when they came it had a 'bubble' in it as if there was a protective thing like you get on new phones (only over the serial number) So I pulled it off, and the whole serial number became unstuck. I find this quite strange as I thought that the serial numbers were printed on and not onto a thin piece of 'plastic' that is then stuck on to the unit. I have however since stuck it back on after peeling off the protective 'cover' of the serial number off.
I have attatched some pics, although they aren't very good. however there is enough detail to see the audio jack and the strain relief things. Another thing to mention is that the audio jack's 'center part' ridge is not completely the same width. The monster logo on the back of the headphones however are embossed, however not 100% central.
thanks for your help
Stanley

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 10
Mine are exactly as you say- the monster logo on the back of the headphones (inside the 'turbine') isn't central, one of them is actually at a noticeable angle. I got mine off Amazon official EU retailer (amazon eu s.a.r.l.)
I have seen MTPG with your starin relief bit, I think it's new/old models, correct me if I'm wrong.

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 10
I am almost 100% sure that my first pair were real - as they had the best SQ of any earphone I have tried (I have tried UE Superfi 5 pro and Beats studio). These ones just don't seem to sound as good, though as I say I have not had the opportunity to test with a good source. They serial number thing is the wierdest thing for me - and also the headphone jack really shouldn't be like that imo.

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #7 of 10
Its hard to explain but easily visible on,the pictures - at the base (left) of the plug part there is a ridge between the plug and the connectir housing, almost as if the plug bit should be pished into the housing more.This is clearly visible on the first and third pictures. On my first pair and others that I have seen there was no ridge and the whole jack looked like one piece.

Jun 9, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #10 of 10
Hi,
I'm sorry to tell you that it is fake. I have both MTPG and MTPC, and the metal-like ring at the joining between the earphone and the cable is not right. The old style is looks similar to that, however, the metal-like rings that earphone uses is the new design rings! And the trademark is not in the correct font, the R should looks like the same font of sony MDRs' font.

I'm a Chinese and live in New Zealand now, and I have know a store that sales many of the fake MTP's this one looks exactly same as theirs. The funny thing is -- the 3.5mm connector shouldn't looks like layers shape (I dont know how to explain it in English, as the picture shows it should looks like the same thickness)

Sorry for my bad English skill!
I hope that helps you a bit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back