Are these frames worth salvaging?
Nov 4, 2010 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Olimoronio

500+ Head-Fier
[size=10pt][/size]

[size=10pt]Are there any particular drivers that would work in these? Please don't say Ortho's because I tried them a while back and I don't remember why - they were either too big to fit or they sounded like hell - but they just didn't work.[/size]

[size=10pt] These are not those Wesc Alp Horn things that you always see on eBay - these are decidedly vintage, use 50mm drivers and the only ID on them is a sticker that reads "Atlantis" and a "Made in Japan" sticker. Other than that who knows.[/size]

[size=10pt]I guess my question is there any other reason besides aesthetics to create such a phone. Is there any acoustical merit to these what-so-ever?[/size]

Nov 5, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 18
I don't know; I've never fiddled with building headphones.

However, I just moved this thread into the DIY Forum and here's a bump.  If anyone will have suggestions, it'll be here.

Nov 20, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #10 of 18
I'll address your title. Why invest time and money in an unknown entity that will probably never justify -- in qualitative terms -- your efforts to get it to work?

Nov 21, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
Pick up a pair KOSS KSC75's and try them. I've always wanted to put them into a closed back frame just to find out what they'd sound like.

[size=10pt]I already have a few of those but I heard on several occasions that they sound horrible in a closed back enclosure. I guess it's worth a try though.[/size]

[size=10pt]As for the other guy's question - this is my hobby messing around with and modding headphones. I was just wondering if there is any acoustical merit to this design of phones... well, that and where the heck to get 48mm drivers on the cheap.[/size]

Nov 22, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #13 of 18
Well, I put a KSC75 in the driver slot and it fit almost perfectly. I would have hooked it up to see how it sounded just for the hell of it but the little ball joint on the back of the KSC prevented me from putting the back plate on the headphones and I didn't feel like ruining the KSC's for something that I don't think was going to work in the first place.

Anyway, I just ordered a pair of Sportapros for like $20. Hopefully they are the same size and then I can give those a try.

Nov 22, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #14 of 18
I'd experiment with different stuffing - type and density - when/if I try it.
basshead.gif

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #15 of 18
Oh I will. I have a whole big box I call my "materials" box but I usually just use wool batting as it usually works the best.

I also have the really cool half foam, half velour felt-like material that is about 1mm thick I like to use in tight spaces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back