Are these 2 caps comparable?
Apr 10, 2007 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

BlizzofOZ

100+ Head-Fier
Yep, newb here!

I want to order from Mouser instead on Digi-Key, so I want to make sure I get the comparable cap from Mouser. I had bought #445-2613-ND and want to order more of the kind, but decided to go with Mouser.

Other than the lead spacing, I see no difference between these 2 caps. Can you?

Digi-Key: #445-2613-ND

Mouser: #75-1C10X7R222K100B

Apr 10, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 17
Digikey is a 0.1uf C0G ceramic
Mouser is a 0.0022uf X7R ceramic

Different capacitance and different composition. C0G is more temperature stable than X7R.

This is more like the Digikey part 80-C350C104J1G5HA

Pricey for a ceramic.

Apr 11, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 17
achina... you are sooo correct! I don't now what I was thinking! I wrote down the part number at work and it must have been the wrong one. Tried to find it again and can't.

Let me tackle this a different way... MisterX posted this layout in another thread, showing the TLE2426 railsplitter with bypass caps. The Digi-Key part #445-2613-ND are the bypass caps.

I would like to order from Mouser and am looking for something comparable and well... cheaper.

Any ideas?

revisedcmoyx.jpg

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 17
Mouser search for .1uF, axial, ceramic, MLCC capacitors turns up 114 Matches.
Mouser search for .1uF, radial, ceramic, MLCC capacitors turns up 312 Matches.

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 17
Mouser search feature could be somewhat confusing for new buyers.
So, stop drink booze, and focus.
wink.gif

As MisterX said, there are a lot of caps to choose from.
If you want quality cap, what dsavitsk said would be nice.
If you are looking for cheap cap that works, something like mouser part# 80-C323C104K5R would be an adequate choice for that position.

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #7 of 17
Thanks for the replies and answers...

Seaside, that 80-C323C104K5R is the one I was originally looking at, thanks. Even the 505-MKP20.1/100/5 is priced right, for me.

What I didn't know if I had to use cereamic in this situation... or was the X5R temp coefficient suitable for this situation.

I appreciate you all answering such basic questions... I'm learning.

Just as FYI, I've successfully build one CMOY and have 2 more in mid-build. All thanks to Tangent, this forum and it's members!

Apr 11, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 17
Can someone also help another noob regarding this TLE/bypass? What function do the .1uf bypass caps perform in this circuit? I understand the railsplitter. Do the caps serve as a buffer? What is the result if they are left out and just the TLE is used?

Apr 12, 2007 at 8:24 AM Post #13 of 17
tag for when I build my next CMoy's with TLE's

Apr 12, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

The ceramic bypass caps just provide cleaner (more readily available / faster) power to the opamp which keeps it happier
smily_headphones1.gif

I believe what you are referring to are known as "reservoir capacitors"
The Bypass capacitors depicted above are intended to provide a low impedance path to ground for high frequency noise.
In this case they also reduce the effective impedance of the power supply circuit (which improves the bass a tad).

Apr 12, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by btrancho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone also help another noob regarding this TLE/bypass? What function do the .1uf bypass caps perform in this circuit? I understand the railsplitter. Do the caps serve as a buffer? What is the result if they are left out and just the TLE is used?

The temp coefficient is not important for this app, the cheapest ceramic 0.1uF is what you'd be shooting for unless you wanted to go with a film cap (and to some, there is the belief the PSU is part of the audio path and to them any film cap is a good start even if a cheap metalized polyester rather than something more expensive like a polypropylene foil type).

You don't need it for most opamps typically used in a CMOY. Some cranky opamps might require one but OPA2132 won't.

They are decoupling and benefit the high frequency, or with fast opamps prevent power rail modulations from causing oscillation.

However, without a certain need this kind of tweak to a CMOY is not so important, the only real way to improve it is other more substantial changes like a better PCB w/ground plane, a higher current opamp or buffer stage. For the CMOY I suggest just building it by the book, at that point you will know if it's within range of what you wanted or if it's time to move to a different headamp project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back