are there tube amps out there that can power all these phones
Aug 8, 2009 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

quikgp

100+ Head-Fier
I'm still looking into buying a headphone amp and I'm having a hard time choosing. I'd like to experiment and get my first tube amp, but it seems like they can't power the range of headphones I want (the cheap ones cant seem to anyways)

the headphones:
-AKG 701
-Denon D2000
-Senn HD650
-Grado RS-1

am I stuck looking at solid state to drive all of these headphones properly?

Aug 8, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 16
IMO yes, however it involves buying a used amp which may be good or a mess. I am speaking of the Singlepower MPX3 Slam SE. As you probably have read Mikhail has ripped off a lot of members and his construction is marginal at best and dangerous in many cases.

You may find that buying a couple of less expensive amps may be a better alternative. For example I really liked the Elekit TU882AS, at about $450 it is a beautiful sounding unit at a heck of a price. Another alternative would be the Head Direct EF1 at $299. Of course there is the Mapletree wich pairs very nicely w/ the AKG, Senn, and Grado. Have not listened to a Denon via the Mapletree so I can not comment on that pairing.

Good luck.

Aug 8, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 16
That depends on what you want to spend. You'll have to go with a transformer-coupled tube amp to get an output impedance low enough to make the Denons and Grados happy. The only OTL I know of with a low output impedance is the Zana Deux. The 6C33C allows you to pull that trick off, however, very few other tubes will. I think the 6C41C is pretty similar, however, there aren't any 6C41C amps in production.

The problem with output transformers is that they're pricey. A pair of them costs a manufacturer at least $200, but it's easy to spend $400-$500 on just the output transformers. You can spend more, if you want,

So, if you want to drive low impedance headphones reasonably, you can get something like the Gilmore Lite which does a great job and costs less than a pair of many output transformers.

Aug 8, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 16
EF1
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 16
I believe all SP amps have an impedance of less than 20 ohms and they're all OTL amps.

However, whether those figures should be trusted is another matter.

Aug 8, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... You'll have to go with a transformer-coupled tube amp to get an output impedance low enough to make the Denons and Grados happy..

I can state w/o a doubt that my Singlepower MPX3 has no problems making the Denon and Grado cans sing. To do so I use a 5670 as a driver and a pair of 6BL7 as output tubes. This is a great combination.

Granted with all the problems associated w/ Mikhail's poor construction and not delivering amps for which he was paid I would not recommend buying from him. An used Singlepower could be a problem if it was poorly built as some units were.

Aug 8, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 16
IIRC, you have to use quite a bit of negative feedback to get some OTLs down to a low output impedance. I'm building an amp that uses the 6BL7, and its output impedance is too high for a good match with Denons or Grados. If you're happy with negative feedback, that's OK, but I prefer amps that don't use it or just a small amount to stabilize the circuit.

Aug 8, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 16
quikgp;5914951 said:
I'm still looking into buying a headphone amp and I'm having a hard time choosing. I'd like to experiment and get my first tube amp, but it seems like they can't power the range of headphones I want (the cheap ones cant seem to anyways)

the headphones:
-AKG 701
-Denon D2000
-Senn HD650
-Grado RS-1

Elekit TU-882R has 200mw output.

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #9 of 16
In addition to the ones listed, the WooAudio WA6 should work with all those cans.

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIRC, you have to use quite a bit of negative feedback to get some OTLs down to a low output impedance. I'm building an amp that uses the 6BL7, and its output impedance is too high for a good match with Denons or Grados. If you're happy with negative feedback, that's OK, but I prefer amps that don't use it or just a small amount to stabilize the circuit.

I honestly can not speak of technical aspects, I do not know enough to even ask an intelligent question. However I do have a pair of ears and they tell me the MPX3 w/ the 5670 driving a pair of 6BL7 makes the Denon and Grado sound superb. So my comments are only based on what I hear and should be taken as my opinion. YMMV with your music, source, cables, how clean/dirty your power is, and your expectation of what sounds good.

Aug 9, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I honestly can not speak of technical aspects, I do not know enough to even ask an intelligent question. However I do have a pair of ears and they tell me the MPX3 w/ the 5670 driving a pair of 6BL7 makes the Denon and Grado sound superb. So my comments are only based on what I hear and should be taken as my opinion. YMMV with your music, source, cables, how clean/dirty your power is, and your expectation of what sounds good.

Well, negative feedback can be a matter of taste. One school of thought is that it should never be used and some think it's perfectly OK. I think there's technical merit to using feedback, however, too much can strangle the music.

If you get a chance to listen to a Bijou, it can be built with a potentiometer that adjusts the amount of negative feedback. You'd be able to find out how much, if any, negative feedback you like.

Aug 9, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In addition to the ones listed, the WooAudio WA6 should work with all those cans.

I agree, I have the WA6 as well as the RS1 and HD650 and I think they sound great together. On the same note, I've never heard either headphone on anything other than the WA6 to do any real comparison. I believe plenty of people have used the K701 with the woo amps, but I'm not sure about the D2000, I assume they should all be fine though.

Aug 9, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #13 of 16
Another vote for Woo Audio 6.

Aug 9, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by quikgp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the headphones:
-AKG 701
-Denon D2000
-Senn HD650
-Grado RS-1

am I stuck looking at solid state to drive all of these headphones properly?

Look into Little Dot I+ (hybrid) or MkII (only tubes). Either drive my D1001 and HD600 more than plenty nice, both on lowest gain. At the price maybe get both, then you don't have to unplug phones so often.
Although i doubt any lineup including the K701 will make the owner truly happy unless you find a dull amp for the K701 and a detailed one for the others, and neither LD amp is dull.

Aug 9, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #15 of 16
Erik named it, of course. Eddie Current Zana Deux.

Now, of course, you didn't how how much you wanted to spend...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back