Are there better IEMs than the ER4P for classical?
Feb 26, 2010 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

Bum Rush

Head-Fier
Hey everyone, long time lurker here. I listen to a lot of classical, classical-esque music performed by orchestras. Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring is one of my favorites, and I enjoy Uematsu's work in the Final Fantasy games. I need a new upgrade from my crappy CX300s.

I looked around and the majority of recommendations were the ER4P. I've heard that their instrument separation and imaging is top-notch, which is really great. But I heard that they don't do too well during complex passages? I also heard they were really light in bass. I'm concerned about whether or not the ER4P would deliver the bass that does classical justice. Like a fellow poster once said,

Quote:

Classical requires some awesome bass, if you've ever been in front of a full orchestra. The timpanis resound, not only on impact but on sustain. They blast and then continue booming. The double bass also resounds, with some passages requiring that the player strike the bow heavily, causing a very visceral sound. With a cymbal crash comes the loud boom of the bass drum under it.

I also read about the PFE. It was said to be the "ER4P but with bass." But apparently the tradeoff is worse instrument separation and worse imaging, that the PFE sounds thin, and less isolation. I don't like the sound of that (no pun intended
biggrin.gif
). I really value separation and imaging (this is an orchestra we're talking about here!
biggrin.gif
). So I'm not sure if I'm willing to make the tradeoff.

I've also heard about the HF5. Supposedly the ER4P but a little bumped up bass. But are they alike in every other aspect?

To sum it up,

- A fairly good-sized soundstage (doesn't have to be huge like IE8), great detail, clarity, and great imaging
- Can keep up with complex passages
- Bass should be able to reproduce what is said in the quote above, and also reproduce things like pipe organs well
- Nothing overpowering each other
- Good comfort and good isolation

Budget is $200 USD. I'll be using a Sansa Fuze and laptop.

So are there any IEMs that can do what I'm looking for?

EDIT: Ended up getting the Westone 2's, and I am very satisfied. These also play other genres like rock and pop well.

Feb 26, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 69
hmm RE-0 is super close to the ER4 in everything but cheaper, RE-252 maybe what you want however, if isolation matters then get the ER4 and the fiio E5. later you can always upgrade to a better amp.

thing is it really all depends on personal preference to whats best for you

Feb 26, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 69
I definitely like my TF10 for classical works, and pretty much everything else. I don't know if they are THE BEST necessarily, but they are great and certainly the best I've heard.

Feb 26, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 69
If you're worried about the bass with the ER4P you could always do like I did. Buy an amp with bass boost (minibox e+ has really good synergy with the ER4P) and upgrade to the APS cable. The combination of these two really help!
ksc75smile.gif

-sid

Feb 26, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 69
I also love and listen to a wide range of classical music and i think the same principle applyes to this genre just like it does to every other type of music : there is no "the best", it all depends on your personal taste and preferences. Although, i think symphonic orchestras absolutely need an above average soundstage, and the sound signature should be balanced and most definitely not bass-light (i dont know why so many people seem to think classical is all treble and doesnt need extended and impactful bass. I think bass is at least just a much important as treble for this kind of music, unless you listen to violin & piano sonatas exclusively)

Feb 26, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 69
Violins sound like silk with the RE0 and cellos sound like deep rolling oceans. Music to my ears.

Feb 26, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by daouda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also love and listen to a wide range of classical music and i think the same principle applyes to this genre just like it does to every other type of music : there is no "the best", it all depends on your personal taste and preferences. Although, i think symphonic orchestras absolutely need an above average soundstage, and the sound signature should be balanced and most definitely not bass-light (i dont know why so many people seem to think classical is all treble and doesnt need extended and impactful bass. I think bass is at least just a much important as treble for this kind of music, unless you listen to violin & piano sonatas exclusively)

Yep, I agree completely.

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. The TF10 sounds nice but it looks like it won't be a good fit.

FWIR the RE0's imaging is rather average/not suitable for something like classical.

You guys seem to be talking about my personal tastes. Well I really dig a forward presentation with amazing detail and great imaging. I want to feel like I'm there in the third row. Refer to my quote in my OP about bass in classical. And like daouda said, I don't want to hear more treble than bass. They should both be there but not overpowering each other.

Feb 26, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 69
Yes, the ER4-S. Better highs, more accurate and extended bass. Get the ER4-P and the P-S cable and you'll have both P and S models.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bum Rush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey everyone, long time lurker here. I listen to a lot of classical, classical-esque music performed by orchestras. Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring is one of my favorites, and I enjoy Uematsu's work in the Final Fantasy games. I need a new upgrade from my crappy CX300s.

I looked around and the majority of recommendations were the ER4P. I've heard that their instrument separation and imaging is top-notch, which is really great. But I also heard they were really light in bass. Like a fellow poster once said,

I'm concerned about whether or not the ER4P would deliver the bass that does classical justice. I've heard that an amp could solve the problem, but I really can't spend much (can't go higher than 200 USD for everything). Would a cheap amp like the E5 do the job?

I also read about the PFE. It was said to be the "ER4P but with bass." But apparently the tradeoff is worse instrument separation and worse imaging, that the PFE sounds thin, and less isolation. I don't like the sound of that (no pun intended
biggrin.gif
). I really value separation and imaging (this is an orchestra we're talking about here!
biggrin.gif
). So the PFE is probably not an option.

I've also heard about the HF5. Supposedly the ER4P but a little bumped up bass. But are they alike in every other aspect?

Are there any other IEMs that have the great imaging of the ER4P but can deliver on the bass?

Feb 26, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #10 of 69
ER4P, CK10, JVC FX500, IE7 and TF10Pro.......

Feb 26, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #11 of 69
I'm going to have to throw out that I'm really enjoying the UM3X w/ classical, best I've heard so far. They're also a lot more comfortable for me than the deep insertion Ety (some people don't mind though.) The UM3X is really nice from bass to treble, but also w/ pleasant mids that are essential to classical. It costs a little bit more than some of the others you described but is the most balanced IEM i've heard. The soundstage is lacking but the instruement separation and detail are fantastic.

Feb 27, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #15 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm RE-0 is super close to the ER4 in everything but cheaper, RE-252 maybe what you want however, if isolation matters then get the ER4 and the fiio E5. later you can always upgrade to a better amp.

thing is it really all depends on personal preference to whats best for you

Agreed. I actually preferred the RE0 and sold my ER-4Ps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back