Are there any reputable cable modding services?
May 29, 2020 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rdnkjdi

Head-Fier
I have an ATX-W1000X that I've decided is my end game set after trying isine, LCD, THX-00s etc.

I have to do something about the cable though as it's driving me insane. It needs to be shorter, weigh less (a lot), be less prone to tangle, have a 2.5mm jack & preferably a speaker & not ruin the old cable.

My questions are

. Does anyone provide a service to do this?

. Where can I find good candidates for cable replacements? I'm absolutely lost as I've only found a few references to this specific set - do I need a certain amp wire?

. I'm willing to tackle this myself if I have to, do I need to cut wires & solder or use wire couplings if there aren't setscrews?

May 29, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 7
Perhaps give these folks a call / email:
https://corpsecable.com/

I have one cable from them and love it. I think this company was started by a Headroom employee.

May 29, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 7
@ClieOS does great custom work

May 29, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 7
A quick check reveals that Audio Technica ATH-W1000X doesn't have a detectable cable design. So you will need to send the whole headphone to someone to have either a new cable or some female socket of some kind installed - MMCX won't really work as the holes left by the old cable will be too large for normal MMCX socket. The usual route is to use either 2.5mm or 3.5mm socket instead, so you don't need to mod the ear cup extentively. Besides, 2.5mm / 3.5mm socket should prove to be much more durable than MMCX.(you can still use MMCX cable, if you add a MMCX-to-2.5mm/3.5mm adapter).

May 29, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 7
A quick check reveals that Audio Technica ATH-W1000X doesn't have a detectable cable design. So you will need to send the whole headphone to someone to have either a new cable or some female socket of some kind installed - MMCX won't really work as the holes left by the old cable will be too large for normal MMCX socket. The usual route is to use either 2.5mm or 3.5mm socket instead, so you don't need to mod the ear cup extentively. Besides, 2.5mm / 3.5mm socket should prove to be much more durable than MMCX.(you can still use MMCX cable, if you add a MMCX-to-2.5mm/3.5mm adapter).

I appreciate your response - I figured it is something I'd have to ship off unless I wanted to get into soldering myself (which I'm terrible at). I would be fine with the 2.5mm mod.

Is this something you would want to do? Shipping might be interesting if you're in Malaysia.

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 7
I appreciate your response - I figured it is something I'd have to ship off unless I wanted to get into soldering myself (which I'm terrible at). I would be fine with the 2.5mm mod.

Is this something you would want to do? Shipping might be interesting if you're in Malaysia.

I can do it, but I really won't recommend it unless you happens to live fairly close. A local DIYer would be a better option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back