Are there any really quiet tube amps?
Oct 5, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #16 of 24
I was interested in the CSP-2, in that it would work in with my system well, if I could use it as a preamp. I need only two inputs: for the phonostage out and the computer out. Skylab, have you used it as a preamp? (I plug and unplug now, which isn't bad, as jacks are easy to reach in my present arrangement.) Also, the 6 Moon review complained about hum. You haven't had that problem?

I was also interested in the Ear+ HD Super Amp, which has two inputs and a passive out (which might be better, unless the CSP-2 is really sweet as a preamp). Does anyone have any experience with it?

As I said, I have never really taken cans as a serious way to listen to music, but I really dig listening to my Ipod with Westone 3s. I am thinking the limit there is the source. The 3s must be getting most of what one can get out of an Ipod. If a portable amp would make a difference, I am not sure I want the hassle. The whole advantage of portable is, after all, portability. (Slip in it my pocket, and I am gone.) So I want to get a good headphone out from good DAC.

How to set it up, however, is problem. I will need to run fairly long phone cables or fairly long interconnects. It's an awkward distance: My listening position is 12 or more feet from the DAC or so. Any thoughts?

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #17 of 24
Don't worry about the distance. Grado makes a nice extension cable and you can have any number of the builders here make a custom cable for you.

As for taking headphones seriously - give them a try! I've been into speakers longer, as well, but headphones can deliver the sonic goods, too.

Oct 5, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #18 of 24
I was interested in the CSP-2, in that it would work in with my system well, if I could use it as a preamp. I need only two inputs: for the phonostage out and the computer out. Skylab, have you used it as a preamp? Also, the 6 Moon review complained about hum. You haven't had that problem?

I was also interested in the Ear+ HD Super Amp, which has two inputs and a passive out (which might be better, unless the CSP-2 is really sweet as a preamp). Does anyone have any experience with it?

As I said, I have never really taken cans as a serious way to listen to music, but I really dig listening to my Ipod with the Westone 3s. I am thinking the limit there is the source. The 3s must be getting most of what one can get out of an Ipod. If a portable amp would make a difference, I am not sure I want the hassle. The whole advantage of portable is, after all, portability. So I want to get a good headphone out from good DAC.

How to set it up, however, is problem. I will need to run fairly long phone cables or fairly long interconnects. It's an awkward distance: My listening position is 12 or more feet from the DAC or so. Any thoughts?

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #19 of 24
The CSP-2 sounds excellent as a pre-amp, in a simple system, yes. And I have had absolutely zero issues with hum and the CSP-2 - it is one of the quietest tube amps I have had that exhibited absolutely no hum with even low-impedance headphones.

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by WilCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the Woo WA2 to be very quiet with both Sennheiser and Grado phones. Haven't tried it with IEMs, which are the most sensitive to hum, but for conventional phones, I recommend giving the WA2 a listen.
normal_smile .gif

Indeed, I confirm this amp is really quiet, well, as long as you're using good tubes.
BUT... I made the test with my IEM (super.fi 5 pro) and it's a whole disapointment ! Noisy ... really noisy !

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #21 of 24
DNA Sonnett is dead quiet, even with IEM.

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #22 of 24
My Woo WA3+ is as quiet as it can ever get. However, with the standard 6AS7GA there is hum in abundance ! Use a 5998 or 7236 instead and it gets dead quiet and performs wonderfully.

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeMat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed, I confirm this amp is really quiet, well, as long as you're using good tubes.
BUT... I made the test with my IEM (super.fi 5 pro) and it's a whole disapointment ! Noisy ... really noisy !

Even if it is not heard. If you hear noise with IEMs, even if it is below the sound threshold of other transducers, it is still causing havoc down there. Or at least that is my experience with high-efficiency speakers for many years.

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeMat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MooBin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Woo WA3+ is as quiet as it can ever get. However, with the standard 6AS7GA there is hum in abundance ! Use a 5998 or 7236 instead and it gets dead quiet and performs wonderfully.

These are important points - tubes can be noisy even if the amps are not the issue. You have to have good tubes to have a quiet amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back