Are there any portable headphones for $80 or less that can match the Shure SCL4?
Dec 20, 2008 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

i_don't_know

1000+ Head-Fier
Or should I just go for the Shures? I like a fun, natural sound that draws me in and makes me want to keep listening. Isolation is not an issue at all for me. And the more soundstage, the better, but if everything else is excellent I can give up a little soundstage (which I've heard is the case with the SCL4).

And whatever is suggested must be able to be well-driven directly from a Sony S639F.

A portable headphone to me is anything that isn't bulky, and that usually means supra-aural. And comfort is important, so no clip-ons or anything weird like that.

Dec 20, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 7
I'm not very interested in the NuForce 8, to be honest. Their "thin" sound doesn't seem like my cup of tea. And just getting the 7 would bog me down with a useless mic on the cable that I'd rather not have. I like "full-sounding" headphones and IEMs.

Basically, I'm wondering if the price : performance ratio difference between IEMs and regular headphones still remains when comparing an $80 headphone to a $250 IEM being sold for $80, and if I could do better than the SCL4 with a normal headphone.

Dec 20, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 7
I have the JVC S900. It cost me $75 and can be found for under $50. It is supra-aural and it works well with Sony minidisc which is similar sounding to the last generation of Sony 6XX/8XX(still better though, IMO).

They beat the E4G and SE420. Actually the SE420 beats the E4G pretty good and the JVC beats the SE420. Not sure if they are really well driven straight out of the jack since they improve nicely with added impedance and get another nice jump with a simple amp like the E5. They only get that real wonderful impactful bass with my E5 and the E3 before that. The signature is most like the SE530, bassy, great-mids, and a bit rolled-off on the treble.

I think with a good headphone the ratio remains as it used to be. The headphone is better than even the more expensive earphone. I hope to find an IEM that sounds as good as the S900 can. They really can't move air like that and the distance from the ear and size of the drivers make them sound bigger.

Dec 20, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 7
How does the S900 compare to the RX700 and RX900? I was very impressed with my RX700. With more soundstage and even smoother highs (I don't understand how some people can't hear a bit of sibilance with those things), I would love to try the S900. Does the S900 deliver that "Holy ****, am I at a concert?" sound? That's what I like.

Dec 20, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not very interested in the NuForce 8, to be honest. Their "thin" sound doesn't seem like my cup of tea. And just getting the 7 would bog me down with a useless mic on the cable that I'd rather not have. I like "full-sounding" headphones and IEMs.

Basically, I'm wondering if the price : performance ratio difference between IEMs and regular headphones still remains when comparing an $80 headphone to a $250 IEM being sold for $80, and if I could do better than the SCL4 with a normal headphone.

The NuForce 8 is very good with the Comply 500s, which made a drastic improvement in sealing and thus providing a more solid lower-frequency foundation to support the ultrasmooth midrange and airy top end. The bass is accurate but is lighter than my W3s, but the mids and highs are very sweet indeed. It also has improved greatly with burnin. My college-age son is thrilled. $58! If nothing else, a great sounding don't-worry-about-it IEM. If bass is your number one priority, then, probably stay away. But, it really gets the mids right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back