Are there any IEM that can match the bass of Big Cans?
Jan 23, 2008 at 10:24 AM Post #17 of 22
My PK3s are about as dynamic and thumping as my high end cans (although I EQ the yuins to bring out the deep bass). My Vsonic R02-Pro are canalphones and are less dynamic and don't have as much impact (even with EQ), but they have very deep bass and I can definitely foresee other canalphones meeting and exceeding the PK3 and probably the high end cans in that regard.

Jan 23, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #18 of 22
i think when it comes to bass quality IEM's have it wrapped up because with bigger drivers such as big cans or subwoofers and so on your much more likely to get a booming sound rather than a tighter sound.

bass quantity is much easier to achieve with big cans but manufacturers do tend to keep it lighter than you expect. obviously this is to keep the mids and highs in check, so IEM's and big cans are actually closer than one would expect.

With IEM's going multi driver a good few years ago its easier for manufacturers to boost the bass in IEM's with less fear of killing the sound of mids and highs. The shure se530 and super fi EB among others are good examples of big bass...low distortion sound, easier to achieve than the single big driver over head cans.

as far as impact goes tho, which is very important in bass as the lower registers are easily better felt than heard, big cans have this immersion factor with a much bigger feeling of power and punch

Jan 23, 2008 at 11:52 AM Post #19 of 22
the 5EB's are good for bass, the best i've had actually, but the midrange sucks. the 5EB's are the only, THE ONLY, earphones (headphones) i've given away, and i was glad tio see the back of them.

i was rubbing my hands in anticipation when i ordered them, thinking about writing a long review for head-fi (like you do!) but they stink, and i hated them so much that i just couldn't be bothered to write the review.

but the bass was good!

Jan 23, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #20 of 22
In search for the "big" bass I tried the ue 5 EB first too. And I too very soon switched to the normal super.fi 5, because I was drowned by too much bass. Of course the bass an IEM produces is different from the effects of a big can (I normally use my DT 770), but I do not feel a big loss when hearing my music on the road with the ue super.fi 5.

Jan 23, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #21 of 22
SE530's. No problem.

In fact, I've found no full sized cans that compare. Yet I've only heard SR225's, HD595's and DT880's ... so I have some more listening to do.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #22 of 22
Compared to Ety's, Senn CX300's have way more bass, so I would say those...or something like an EB, which shouldn't cost $200, but probably $150 or less if you're lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back