Are there any headphones that feel like subwoofers?
May 24, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #16 of 35
You will never get that subwoofer feeling with headphones, although some of the big orthos will come close. The LCD2 is probably the best in that regards, or perhaps the HE-400. In cheaper fare, the Ultrasone Pro750/900 are up there, as well as the Audio Technica Pro700mk2 (aka Denon HP1000). The Beyer DT770 is bassy and clean, but not head shaking. On the cheaper side the Nuforce HP-800 is a remarkably bassy headphone and goes as deep as my HE-6, but lacks the ability to get super loud. 

May 24, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #17 of 35
Did you ever heard LCD-2 with a good amp?

Slam, accuracy, deeeeeeeeeeep and that without messing all other frequencies. Absolutely fantastic reference bass. Arguabely the best bass of all headphones tonally.

I absolutely adore mine with a Bryston BHA-1. 

BTW I have a 12 Eclipse aluminium serie sub in a sealed box coupled with a JL Audio 500/1 in my car. Nice tight impactfull bass.

May 24, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #20 of 35
Quote:
Yeah it might be the best quality bass of all headphones, but it's no basshead headphone, and above all else it won't shake your head because its frame is too solid.

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. The solid frame and weight means it will transfer more of the acoustic energy directly to your ear. It may lack some of that mechanical vibration, but the rumble generated by the pressure will make up for that. 

May 24, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #21 of 35
Denon D600 feels like a subwoofer with many of my songs; strong deep bass but clean at the same time. I was listening to one of those bass enhanced songs on youtube and it's crazy, it really feels like having a pair of subwoofers on your ears.

May 24, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #22 of 35
A big sub vibrates your bones. You aren't going to get that with headphones.  You'll get past it - you can get some very well controlled and detailed headphones in the sub 200hz region. Just no vibrating bones.

May 24, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:
A big sub vibrates your bones. You aren't going to get that with headphones.  You'll get past it - you can get some very well controlled and detailed headphones in the sub 200hz region. Just no vibrating bones.

I agree. I have a pair of D7000s and my stereo setup with a SVS subwoofer destroys it for bass response.

May 24, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #24 of 35
I must say the AKG K518 and now the K618 also really recreate that rumble. Although comfort wise I would not recommend them for home listening, or as a replacement of full size Ultrasone's. 

May 24, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. The solid frame and weight means it will transfer more of the acoustic energy directly to your ear. It may lack some of that mechanical vibration, but the rumble generated by the pressure will make up for that. 

I've been around multiple bassheads, and when it comes to headphones, this is what they usually want-- the mechanical vibration.  No doubt lcd2 has the ability to sound the loudest in sub-bass out of any headphone if EQ'd.  Heck, it can take 15 watts of power, so the possibilities are endless, but it's not going to sit there and vibrate on your head without you losing your hearing first.

May 24, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #26 of 35
If mechanical vibration like what TMraven is speaking of then the Sony pulse Elite. Quality clean bass with impact lcd2 or pro900 is probably the closest.

May 24, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #27 of 35
No headphone is going to give you subwoofer bass. There are basshead headphones that you can try, but even the bassiest ones don't hold a candle compared to that of a 10-12 inch woofer.

May 24, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:
Basically what was already said.  

sub = 12 inches
headphones = 50mm

You need to move lots of air to have your body resonate along with the bass.  Headphones only move enough air to apply some pressure in the small chamber of your ear, only your ear will feel a slight pressure.  If you want your head to vibrate, you need headphones with actual vibrators in them, or a headphone with a frame so fragile that it vibrates itself (beats)

I actually Lol'd at this. So true :]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back