are there any good sony headphones out there?
Aug 15, 2007 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Leoml88

Head-Fier
I'm looking for good headphones, and the reason I mention sony is because I have $26 in Best buy gift cards and the only reputable brand other than Bose, which is out of my budget is sony. I've owned their headphones in the past, and liked them until I got the sennheiser in-ear (mx300 maybe? don't remember) phones which was a world of difference. I realized how muddy the bass was, and how little clarity there really was compared to what I got.

however, the sony headphones I had were like $20. I have a little higher budget now.

How are either of these?

this one reminds me of the sennheiser px200's i think they are, btw how are those? i'm thinking of possibly getting those if sony doesn't work out.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1134703776454

and then these

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1089890210367

i'm looking at new over the head style headphones since i'm going off to college and want something good for when my roommate doesn't want to hear my music from my computer.

Aug 15, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 21
I haven't heard those two, but I would probably stay away from the Noise Canceling one. If you really want Sony, then the MDR-V6 is pretty good and has good build as they are pretty tough and can take a beating. That would be good in a college environment. If you are open to clip on type, then the KSC75 by Koss is a great can for the price/value. Much luck to you
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #3 of 21
Is it me or are there a lot of people with bestbuy gift cards here?

The usual suggestions here are buy music or movies with the card or try to sell to to someone.

Or if you need some cheap headphone, the JVC fx33 is recommended (not be me though
wink.gif
).

Aug 15, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 21
The only Sony Best Buy sells at that pricepoint is the MDR-V150, and it is definitely not worth buying, unless you're interested in doing experiments on them. They also sell a few earbuds and clip-ons from Sony that are straight garbage for the most part.

Looking through their headphones list <$30, it's pretty unappealing aside from the JVC Marshmallows and Philips SHS391, two good value headphones. The Marshmallows are bass heavy but are a fun listen, and the SHS's are like the KSC75's tied onto a neckband. I'd say either go for one of those two or spend it on music.

Aug 15, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 21
Definitely the MDR-V6 with Beyer pads!

I used the K81DJ first semester last semester when I didn't want to bother my roommate, which is a good choice too, though they're a little uncomfortable. I traded the K81DJs to swt61 for his Beyer padded MDR-V6s and they are perfect at blocking out sound and keeping the tunes inside the headphones. And much much more comfortable
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 21
how are the sennheiser px200's? they seem pretty good, and they're the kind i'm looking for. basically, some semi-portable over the head headphones that can be used to replace my computer speakers for my dorm when my roommate doesn't want to hear my stuff.

by the way, it was the cx300's not mx300's, sorry about that. I really liked them, but they've been getting worn out (I wish they had come with a case) so if I get the sennheiser px200's, it will probably replace these as my all-around headphones as well as just for my computer. I don't have as much of a need for noise isolation as I used to. compared to the cx300's, how is the sound on the px200's, how loud are they, and how comfortable are they?

thanks a lot

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #8 of 21
Anyone else saw this topic and thought "Qualia and R10"? Anyways, I guess they won't have them at best buy..
tongue.gif

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by vilg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else saw this topic and thought "Qualia and R10"? Anyways, I guess they won't have them at best buy..
tongue.gif

I know I did.

Aug 15, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know I did.

As did I. I might have been generous enough to add CD3000 and SA5000 to the list as well.

Aug 15, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #12 of 21
Yup; lots of other good choices out there, but if it's gotta say "Sony" on the label, then MDR-V6 is probably the best choice at a reasonable price point.

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say Sony V6 -- but, it appears that BestBuy doesn't sell them?

I suspect not. That; and they're quite a bit over the $26 price point as well.
frown.gif

....may well be worth remembering for something in the future though.

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by vilg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know I did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As did I. I might have been generous enough to add CD3000 and SA5000 to the list as well.

*nods in agreement*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back