Are there any good headphones at Best Buy?
Dec 27, 2009 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bba1973

500+ Head-Fier
This Christmas, I managed to rack up $120 worth of Best Buy gift cards. I'm trying to think of what to spend them on, and full-size headphones came to mind. So, like the title says, are there any good headphones at Best Buy? I'm not going to sell my gift cards or anything like that, so I'm down to their stock. Also, it's going to be an in-store purchase, nothing online.

There's a few other things I should mention. I want to buy something that will sound better than RE0's and modded KSC75's, preferably with more bass. I really like the sound sig of both of these. This really needs to be an upgrade instead of a sidegrade (if that's even a word) or downgrade. I'd be willing to go up to around $170 (so that's $50 + tax out of pocket). If such an upgrade isn't feasible at this price and Best Buy, please speak up and let me know. Then I can go back to debating between a CD player with an aux in for my truck or a GPS. I'd like to get something with as much or more detail, more bass, and a wider soundstage than what I have now.

As for what I listen to, my tastes are rather wide. Overall though, I end up listening to Ritchie Blackmore, Black Sabbath, Jeff Beck, John McLaughlin, Yes, Pink Floyd, Rush and Led Zeppelin the most (classic rock, jazz/rock fusion, heavy metal, and progressive rock for genres; some old skool rap occasionally). I'll be using my iPod Photo and Clip+ the most. I have a biosciencegeek cmoy for an amp, but would like to upgrade that too.

Thanks for reading. Sorry I didn't do alot of research, but I really don't know much about full size headphones. I've got some of the $35 JVC 700's, but that's it so far. They're too dark and non-detailed for my liking, but work for gaming.

Dec 27, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #2 of 8
You might be able to find a Sony MDR-V6 at a BestBuy. They don't get many recommendations here, but I owned a pair for years and think they're pretty good. You should at least take your iPod in and give them a listen.

You should also look at the Insignia NS-B2111 speakers. Believe it or not, they sound pretty good and there are a number of audiophiles who have bought and sometimes modded these. Run a few searches and you'll see.

BestBuy lists the HD-650, HD-600 and a few other good headphones online. However, I strongly recommend not buying them from BestBuy. They want full retail for the HD-650 - $499 IIRC. Other licensed dealers will sell you the HD-650 for $325-$350. Don't throw away money - use your gift cards on stuff that doesn't have insane margins.

Dec 27, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the input, Erik. I think I'll just have to go there one day, and just see what they have in stock. Their website helps, but it doesn't always accurately reflect what they have in stock. I'm not sure if they'd let me test out headphones (except for Bose...), but I'd like to see how they would react to my yotank protected iPod.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the reccomendations, but I'd like to keep it to $170 or so ($120 in gift cards, and about $50 or so out of pocket), and I'd like for it to be an upgrade to RE0's and modded KSC75's. I'm starting to consider getting a pair of Klipsch S4's for beater IEMs, but I'll have to read up on them some more. No speakers for me for now. Maybe later, but portable suits me fine for now. I'm also familiar with their markup on high-end stuff like HD650's IE8's, and SE530's.

Dec 27, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #4 of 8
Sonys are the way to go in Best Buy if you must
smily_headphones1.gif

Or you could use those gift cards for something else entirely.

Dec 27, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #5 of 8
i asked this earlier when i got a $100 gift card.. went to my local store and they didnt really have any decent cans... so i went with plan b = video games! picked up Tekken 6 and Uncharted 2 on ps3.. dam uncharted 2 would have been nice to play thru some headphones hehehe

Dec 27, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #6 of 8
My friend tells me Left 4 Dead is some good stuff.

Dec 27, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by hypertek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i asked this earlier when i got a $100 gift card.. went to my local store and they didnt really have any decent cans... so i went with plan b = video games! picked up Tekken 6 and Uncharted 2 on ps3.. dam uncharted 2 would have been nice to play thru some headphones hehehe

I figured they wouldn't have anything good, but I thought I'd ask just in case. Screw that, I'm going with Plan B: Klipsch S4's (to finally have a decent set of beater IEMs; I can pass on the modded Marshmallows to a friend) and DVDs. The CD player with aux in for my truck can wait, and I can bum a GPS off my brother or my dad when I need it.

Thanks again for the help, guys. Just thought I'd ask, but I'll hold off on full size headphones now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back