Are there any full-size that are considered portable?
Jun 17, 2009 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

TobaccoRoad

500+ Head-Fier
I mainly depend on IEM for portability, but I'm looking for around the ear cans that can be used in public. Most of my full-size are opened and usually for home use, and on-ears are uncomfortable for me as my ears are very sensitive. I found Denon D1001 to fit my standards but they offer no isolation and major leaks. I thought I knew enough about cans but I've yet to find any. Do I just have to accept the fact that full-size aren't meant to be used in public? I'm sure some of you have used it before. Can you suggest me any? (Not looking for sound signature, quality, or amp requirements right now, just any full-size that are considered portable according to you)

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 17
Haha I actually used my A500s portably...

Although something a little bigger (maybe 1.5 times) than KSC75s would be the max for every day commuting for me.

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 17
Yes. I used the Sony MDR-V6 portably for years. They offer isolation and fold up for easy travel. For the price, they're one of the best out there. If you want to spend a little more, try the Sony MDR-7509HD. They're pro cans and a step up from the MDR-V6, and I've been very happy with them. The 7509HD is another good headphone mostly ignored by Head-Fi, but I'm glad I bought a pair. I've taken them on two vacations now and am satisfied with them straight out of an iPod.

I've only listened to them briefly, but you might want to consider Shure's new closed headphones. They sounded great at CanJam and might be worth buying.

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 17
If you're on a budget, I would recommend the Sony MDR-V500 or 700's. They have really strong bass, ok midrange, and ok treble. They're meant for DJ's, so they are sealed really well. You can pick up either pair for less than $100.

Jun 17, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #8 of 17
Portable can be kind of a disconcerting term on these boards... portable, transportable tend do blend a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

I use the 780s as portable cans on long trips by plane or train and sometimes I'll take them along for a walk with the dog. They isolate fairly well from the outside and are an easy load on the source. They are also foldable and fit quite nicely on a bag or suit case. Now, for normal day to day commuting I'd never consider them a part of my portable gear.

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #9 of 17
I used to wear my HD280 pros outside all the time.
tongue.gif
Plus I've seen others wearing these phones on the bus too, so I wasn't the only one.

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #10 of 17
I also have a pair of ATH-M50's for when I'm traveling. They collapse and come with a bag (not that that's rare)
The build makes me confident that they're going going to break if I just toss them in my bag like that.
When it comes to a "portable" circumaural pair you're probably better off just getting a pair that's not ridiculously huge, collapses, and has a durable build quality.

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #12 of 17
iGrados. Not sure I'd call them full size though.

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #13 of 17
I carry my HD-25s around with me everyday. I very much consider them portable.

Jun 17, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajjekko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many use ESW7 as a portable.

What is an ESW7? Or did you mean an "es7" instead?

Jun 17, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #15 of 17
I use my Pro4AATs outdoors ever since I lost my Portapros
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back