Are there any full size headphones that are better with an iPod than the best IEMs?
Aug 15, 2008 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Zafonic

Head-Fier
Before dropping a stack on a high-end IEM like the Shure SE530, are there any full sized headphones that can beat the SE530 for sound quality in the $300-$500 (£150-£250) range?

I would be using them with a 20Gb iPod Classic with the Wolfson audio chip.

I understand that most headphones need a proper amp to drive them. The SE530 has an impedance of 36 ohms so I'm guessing that anything over 50 ohms would need an amp? I'm thinking about headphones that do not require an amp but still sound better than the best IEMs. Portability is not an issue.

I don't know if this is a valid question or ridiculous but I have to ask!

Thanks
dt880smile.png

Aug 15, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 23
really really depends what you are after!
I for one own the se530 as well as triple fi which although not the very best iem's are up there with the best non customs!
However I tend to find myself pulled back time and again to my grados!
Even to the extent that I wear these out and about in a portable rig!

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 23
Depends on your preferred sound, I guess.

In my experience, a full-sized headphone of really good quality will always the SQ of any IEM under $800. The SE30 is a fine-sounding IEM, my favorite from the many I've sampled, and its ability to render reggae is better than anything else I've heard. Its bass is a matter of taste.

A good headphone like the K701 gives a sound space that's pleasing in its own right, and the same can be said if the DT880 ('03). I would strongly urge you to sample as many quality headphones as possible, as reviews will only go so far.

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 23
20gb classic :S Do you mean you have one of the first generation ipods?

I think a lot of people would say customs are the best way to go for the best sound with DAP's

Aug 15, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 23
Depends on what you mean by "best IEMs." If you're talking about the SE530 and similar IEMs, then there's a very good chance that a lot of full-size headphones will beat them. I'd rather listen to an unamped HD595 than an SE530 any day, and I'm sure other stuff like the ESW9, which is primarily made for unamped use, will be even better.

But, "the very best of IEMs" to me means customs, and no, I don't think that there are many full-size headphones that will beat them unamped. I've been looking for one to beat my ES2, and it's not happening so far. Amped, though, that's another story.

IEMs just have such extraordinary efficiency, sensitivity, and low impedance that a full-size, underdriven headphone will find it very hard to compete.

Throw an amp in the equation if you want to use full-size cans. You're already carting full-size cans around, and an amp won't add much bulk. Cost, on the other hand...

Aug 16, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #6 of 23
Thanks for all the replies
regular_smile .gif

I should have said what type of music I listen to: mostly acoustic / acoustic rock and light rock.

The iPod is a 3rd or 4th generation and I've actually gone back to this from a 2nd gen Nano as I much prefer the sound from the Wolfson chip than the Cirrus one in the new iPods.

I didn't mean the custom IEMs or the top of the range UE-10 / UE-11. The Shures are the highest priced IEMs I will go to IF they give the best SQ for the music I listen to, but it just struck me that there may be a full sized headphone with a low impedance that could sound better at the same price point.

Thanks!

Aug 16, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #7 of 23
It depends heavily on your preference. IEMs sound very different from full-sized headphones. Even some unamped good headphones will outperform SE530s, triple.fis in soundstage, bass feel, and in some case even instrument separation.

Perhaps you could try some headphones that many say sound at least decent unamped: ATH-AD2000, Grados/Alessandros, ESW9, Ultrasones HFIs, etc

Aug 16, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #9 of 23
Ok - I'll do some research on the Alessandro and Grado RS1, although I believe these are well outside my budget, especially since I am in the UK, which means higher prices normally!

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by glac1er /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends heavily on your preference. IEMs sound very different from full-sized headphones. Even some unamped good headphones will outperform SE530s, triple.fis in soundstage, bass feel, and in some case even instrument separation.

Perhaps you could try some headphones that many say sound at least decent unamped: ATH-AD2000, Grados/Alessandros, ESW9, Ultrasones HFIs, etc

My (Ath) Ad2000s sound... bad out of portable devices I would seriously advise against using them from such a set up.

Aug 16, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #13 of 23
I've been using my HD600s purely from my iRiver for a while now (using a Fiio as well now), and I really can't say they sound bad unamped even though they are 300 ohms, sure the bass clips a bit if I crank it up to full and play it loud, and sure it's probably pretty anemic but it still sounds very decent to my ears. I've never tried the SE530s but consider that going this route means that if you do feel like upgrading later on, it's just a matter of getting an amp or amp/dac.

Also check out the Ultrasone Proline 750s, they've seemingly been getting a lot of attention lately, and from what I've heard are relatively efficient and able to be used from a dap. If you should around, you should probably be able to find both at between $180 and $260 US, depending on used/new/where you look.

Aug 16, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zafonic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you!
dt880smile.png

I'm also thinking about trying the Grado SR60 since these might be a good start and I believe sound pretty good with an iPod!

Again, it would be a better value if you chose Alessandro (MS1).

Aug 16, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #15 of 23
Ok - I've been to Alessandro's website and can see the ms1 and ms Pro. Someone mentioned that he ships to the UK for free so I could get the ms1s for $99 inc. international delivery.

Still doing lots of research on other options though but I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice and suggestions
regular_smile .gif
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back