Are there any full size headphones that are better with an iPod than the best IEMs?
Aug 16, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #16 of 23
Zafonic - look for a used RS-1 here or at Audiogon. You can often find them for $500-$550 USD, which should fit your budget.

I haven't heard the SE530 yet, but the RS-1 from an iPod is awfully good and is what I usually travel with. The RS-1 is a good fit for the music you listen to, as well.

Aug 16, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #17 of 23
Thanks, Uncle Erik!

I will keep a look out as you suggested
atsmile.gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #18 of 23
If you're going Grado, I suggest buying the cheaper models if you aren't planning to upgrade your source anytime soon. I feel that RS1 out of an ipod can't justify its price difference with its cheaper siblings like SR60, MS1, and SR225. That and the possibility of you not liking the Grado sound sig.

Aug 16, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #19 of 23
I'm not so sure about this "out of an ipod" stuff, actually. Couple of days ago, I stuck my iPod in a NZ$25,000 sound system, and the sound was beautiful. Granted, I was playing Apple Lossless, but still...it seems like good cans/amps/speakers aren't *wasted* on iPods.

Aug 17, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #22 of 23
The original comfy pads. I have an extra set of bowls and flat pads are on my HP-2s... but comfy pads work best with the MS-1, in my opinion. I've had my pair since 2004 and they have a couple thousand hours of playing time. I'm listening to them directly out of my Sony D-EJ2000 portable CD player, although I've also tried them on various headphone amps - there is a small, but noticeable improvement in bass depth, detail and dynamics on a dedicated amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back