Are there any disadvantages with ripping to ALAC with iTunes on a intel iMac?
Mar 22, 2006 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Connectz

100+ Head-Fier
Are there any disadvantages with ripping to ALAC with iTunes on a intel iMac? I mean, will I have the same disadvantages that you guys mention when one rips with windows iTunes (the whole k-mixer, EAC is better deal)?

I have decided to go with ALAC since I will be using it on my iPod and I could always transcode them to FLAC if I ever needed to.

Or is it arguably better to rip with EAC>ALAC and then just transfer the songs to my iMac (17" intel)?

Mar 22, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #2 of 15
Arguably, it would be better to rip with EAC, then to ALAC, if only to ensure that your rips are accurate and free of errors (Windows Kmixer, btw, has absolutely no bearing on rips, as it only relates to a soundcards output. Since the process of ripping the CD is basically copying data from the CD to the hard drive, this is a moot point). Although no other program that I know of can quite match EAC's functionality, it might be a much better idea to find a suitable replacement for the Mac. Most other good CD-rippers will use CDParanoia for error-correction, if memory serves. I ran across this program while searching, which might be just what you need. Good luck!

Mar 22, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
Arguably, it would be better to rip with EAC, then to ALAC, if only to ensure that your rips are accurate and free of errors (Windows Kmixer, btw, has absolutely no bearing on rips, as it only relates to a soundcards output. Since the process of ripping the CD is basically copying data from the CD to the hard drive, this is a moot point). Although no other program that I know of can quite match EAC's functionality, it might be a much better idea to find a suitable replacement for the Mac. Most other good CD-rippers will use CDParanoia for error-correction, if memory serves. I ran across this program while searching, which might be just what you need. Good luck!

WOW THANX!!!!

Mar 23, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 15
You're welcome - lemme know how it works out, as I may wind up switching to a Mac one of these days.

Mar 23, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz
Uhh, EAC isn't written for OS X.

I think we're both well aware. Read our posts more closely.

Mar 23, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
You're welcome - lemme know how it works out, as I may wind up switching to a Mac one of these days.

I gave "TAG" a try earlier and it seems like a good app. However, (and I stress that I may be in error) the tags wern't changed withing the folder that the songs were in. The tag info is retained in the FLAC file but the title of the song remains: 1.FLAC, 2.FLAC, etc. I wonder why this is happening.

Also, I am trying to learn how to rip to ALAC from "MAX" so that I don't have to rip on my PC.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Edit++

Oh, I forgot to mention, MAX is an AWESOME app and after you configure it (its really easy to config compared to EAC) and it works well. Like I said above, I just have to figure out how to make it rip to ALAC.

Mar 23, 2006 at 8:52 AM Post #8 of 15
iTunes has an option for error correction during ripping. You'll find it under iTunes>preferences>advanced>importing.

I've never used EAC, but I do use heavy paranoia when ripping in Linux. To my ear, at least, I don't hear a difference between the paranoia and the iTunes error correction. Both sound good.

Mar 31, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 15
I've been debating the all iTunes vs EAC + iTunes issue myself.

One of the convenient things about iTunes is how easily it recognizes CD's and appropriately tags ripped files. If I rip first using EAC, then use iTunes to compress into ALAC, will iTunes still recognize the files and tag them appropriately just as easily?

I know EAC can be linked to a CD database as well, but I always found it a bit cumbersome to use. At least the last time I tried which was admittedly a few years ago.

Mar 31, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by solbergg
Stupid question - what's EAC?

Exact Audio Copy, a CD ripper. Often referred to as the best one. Being an exe installer means it won't run on a Mac.

Mar 31, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #12 of 15
EAC has great reporting capabilities so you'll know if there is a problem. As for it ripping the best, probably, but the hardware is at least as important and for some reason that's never part of these discussions. I kept a PC around specifically for problematic discs (after all if a CD is in good condition EACs or iTunes error correction is less important), but I used it less and less and sometimes got better rips with my Mac DVD drive and iTunes. I pretty much just use them now. Haven't used EAC for probably a year.

And EAC and ALAC aren't competitors. I think we're getting our terminology confused. One is a program and one is a codec.

Apr 1, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #13 of 15
Is there a guide for using ASIO with foobar and encoding from EAC to FLAC for use in foobar? Please excuse my ignorance, I have been mostly listening to my vinyl rig, so most of this advanced digital stuff confuses the hell out of me. Thanks!

Apr 1, 2006 at 9:37 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
EAC has great reporting capabilities so you'll know if there is a problem. As for it ripping the best, probably, but the hardware is at least as important and for some reason that's never part of these discussions. I kept a PC around specifically for problematic discs (after all if a CD is in good condition EACs or iTunes error correction is less important), but I used it less and less and sometimes got better rips with my Mac DVD drive and iTunes. I pretty much just use them now. Haven't used EAC for probably a year.

And EAC and ALAC aren't competitors. I think we're getting our terminology confused. One is a program and one is a codec.

No, I don't think we have it confused. I just wanted to know which is the better ripping app on either the iMac + iTunes or EAC + PC (with ALAC and FLAC being the output formats respectively).

ALAC ripped with MAX sounds REALLY good on my iPod so I was just wondering if there were any noticeble benefits of using EAC to rip to FLAC and then use iTunes to convert to ALAC.

Apr 1, 2006 at 11:06 AM Post #15 of 15
Both EAC and dBpowerAMP can be set up with 'AccurateRip'. This is a database of rips, after you've done yours you get an AR confidence report. If you have a confidence of over 3 it means your rip results are the same as 3 other peoples, i.e. perfect.
My Maiden rips got confidence ratings of 9, so the other 9 people would've had to have exactly the same errors as me(about as likely as a T-Rex eating my lunch) or we all have identical rips cos they're perfect(much more likely).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back