Are there any decent foldable, mid-range headphones under $250?
Jul 11, 2011 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

miceblue

Headphoneus Supremus
I have come to the conclusion that the Audio Technica ESW9 or ES7's are the only foldable mid-range headphones that can be found at a street price of under $250 USD. I was hoping to see if there are others since I have read a lot of reviews about the ESW9's sounding a bit too colored.

I mainly listen to pop with an emphasis on vocals, but I listen to some electronica and rock as well.

Are there any headphones that would match my criterion?

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 7
The are some nice options for ya in this price and they are as follows:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Denon-AH-D1100

Shure SRH440

Ultrasone HFi-580, HFi-680

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
The are some nice options for ya in this price and they are as follows:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Denon-AH-D1100

Shure SRH440

Ultrasone HFi-580, HFi-680

Thanks for the suggestions!
happy_face1.gif

Has anyone heard the Denon AH-D1100's before? I searched through the forums and it looks like they have overpowering bass and recessed mids...but a great soundstage and very comfortable earpads (better than Berydynamics' headphones perhaps).

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
I have come to the conclusion that the Audio Technica ESW9 or ES7's are the only foldable mid-range headphones that can be found at a street price of under $250 USD. I was hoping to see if there are others since I have read a lot of reviews about the ESW9's sounding a bit too colored.

I mainly listen to pop with an emphasis on vocals, but I listen to some electronica and rock as well.

Are there any headphones that would match my criterion?

Heya,

BeyerDyanamic DT660's are closed, foldable, Beyer comfort, and pretty neutral so good for everything. They won't slam you with bass, but they won't pierce your ears either. Lands at the $200 price point.

Very best,

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 7
Either the M50's, or the SRH840s (with the SRH940 velour pads!). My favorite two for those genres that you spoke of. The SRH840's are better for vocals, and sound great with electronica, but the M50's will give you some more low-bass output. Both are comfortable for me, but YMMV, esp. for the SRH840s, which seem more like a hit or miss for people. I think both are more comfortable than Ultrasone offerings.

Good luck!

Jul 12, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Put the Sony MDR-7509HD on your list. I love mine and they fold up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into them when I get the chance.

Quote:
Either the M50's, or the SRH840s (with the SRH940 velour pads!). My favorite two for those genres that you spoke of. The SRH840's are better for vocals, and sound great with electronica, but the M50's will give you some more low-bass output. Both are comfortable for me, but YMMV, esp. for the SRH840s, which seem more like a hit or miss for people. I think both are more comfortable than Ultrasone offerings.

Good luck!

How is the soundstage of the SRH840's? I see you also have the Sennheiser CX-300's, I find them to have a pretty small soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back