Are the Xelento Wireless worth the upgrade? (from Free Byrds)
Jan 15, 2024 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

akbak

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, welcome to my first post!
I have been lurking here for a while and finally built up the courage to make an account.

Disclaimer: Apologies in case of angering anyone with a newbie question that has been asked similarly a thousand times, im fairly new to HiFi (and didnt find a matching thread on here). And I think this is the perfect place to get opinions on the topic :)

I know from reading other posts this heavily depends on my music preference, budget etc., so Ill try my best to give as much background as possible.

Background:
Two years ago I went from very cheap TWS to Jabra Elite 75t which were a great improvement in terms of sound quality & bass. Back then I thought "wow this is great, cant get much better than that".
A year later I got the beyerdynamic Free Byrd, and that was one eye-opening experience. Comparing them to the Jabras they have incredibly detailed and clear trebles, a much more "separated" bass, and I just love everything about them in general. Something about the sound just makes me want to dance around and sing along with anything that I listen to.:beyersmile: When getting them I spent my first few days (or weeks?) re-listening to every single playlist I had to find new details in songs simply because I could not hear them before.

So this is now the second time I'm thinking "wow this is amazing, cant get any much better, or can it?".

Past weeks I have been reading alot about the beyerdynamic Xelento wireless, and my brain tells me "they are gonna be a magic upgrade, buy them immediately!".
There seem to be alot of posts comparing similar IEMs than them, but very few for "making that jump" into more Hi-Fi devices. I am aware that this is highly subjective topic, still I'd like to try my shot if anyone has experience to share.

Budget:
Price does not really matter as I would like to reward myself for a promotion this week (yay), but I also don't want to throw money out of the window. I am aware some people say the Xelento are overpriced (for the real Gold logo etc) - I just think sticking with beyerdynamic is a good choice because they seem to really care about quality and customer support.

Genres I listen to mostly:
- Orchestral Music (Thomas Bergersen, Hans Zimmer ...)
- Electronic, slow music with some details (Aether - Catharsis is one of my favourites)
- Generic bassy EDM
Though sometimes I like to deep dive into some audiophile playlists from others, love the game of hearing out details.

So what do you guys think, will those be the magic upgrade im looking for? Am I expecting a too high jump?
I would love to hear about experiences making a "bigger jump" in terms of IEMs, and if you guys had a magical moment, or possibly disappointment?

Thank you for reading!

Jan 15, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 3
I'm not sure if everyone would share this concern, but there are lots of clones of Xelentos. Though I usually see the 2, not the wireless. Either way, in my mind, it's very hard to buy them used. That might not affect you buying them new but if you go to resell them down the line, it might be tough.

Same thing happened to Sennheiser, popular iems get copied. Now an $800 iem is a hard sell at $500 used.

I would buy from someplace you can return, if you really don't like them. And give them a fair listen, try not to be skewed by the brand or flashiness. If you love them and decide to keep them, make sure you really love them, because I don't know how much money you could recoup several months or a year down the line.

Jan 15, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 3
I'd like to second that, fakes are rampant on Aliexpress and Wish for those. Worse yet if you buy them used, it could be someone dumping their fakes even thinking they're real. Also on Amazon people will buy real ones and return the fakes for a refund. I'd only buy direct from Beyerdynamic for those. Before you plunk down that kind of money, I'd recommend get a $24 pair of 7hz Salnotes Zero:2 and you'll be stunned how good IEMs can be for that price. At least you'll have a good reference point on value for money. I've had several $800 IEMs, and the Zero:2 are my daily drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back