are the w3 really better than shure se530?
Mar 15, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #31 of 90
Quote:

Damn, Voltage, you're adamant about the Shure mods, aren't you?

Well tip selection does appear to be very important with the SE530. I think this has a lot to do with why some feel that the highs are 'rolled off' while others think they are just fine.

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #32 of 90
yea i think it really affects air flow/absorption or whatever. it changes everything.
a little rolled off is good. it contributes to enjoyability of the headphones.

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #33 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deulce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea i think it really affects air flow/absorption or whatever. it changes everything.

Yea that is the reason. Dude please change your sig....
confused_face.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #34 of 90
lol audiophiles are a touchy bunch.
smily_headphones1.gif
ok i'll change it.

.... but yea ...i guess the same principles in large headphones apply with iem

Mar 15, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #35 of 90
I saw a poll somewhere in the forums asking people who have heard the W3's and SE530's which they preferred, and it was about 55%/45% respectively. So, it could go either way for any given individual.

Mar 15, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #36 of 90
yea that's all i really need to hear.
i just wanted to make sure i made the right decision with the se530s
i don't mine the so called "a little rolled of"

shure has the avg consumer in mind. and too sharp trebles do get annoying.

Mar 15, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #37 of 90
SE530 is more consistent, W3 is superior at some things. W3 is to die for for electronic music, SE530 is great for rock and acoustic or vocal driven. I prefer W3 for several reasons.. I listen to primarily electronic music, they are miles ahead in comfort, the cable is heaps better and I prefer the soundstage of W3 too. and before you recommend yopur mod voltage i'm using UM56 custom tips on both. which gives better soundstage than triflange on both IEMs

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #38 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SE530 is more consistent, W3 is superior at some things. W3 is to die for for electronic music, SE530 is great for rock and acoustic or vocal driven. I prefer W3 for several reasons.. I listen to primarily electronic music, they are miles ahead in comfort, the cable is heaps better and I prefer the soundstage of W3 too. and before you recommend yopur mod voltage i'm using UM56 custom tips on both. which gives better soundstage than triflange on both IEMs

Good to hear dude, how are the Westone comply tips on the both of them?

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #39 of 90
I prefer comply to olives on anything. I used the long (standard) comply; and still do occasionally use comply on my SE530. the long comply give great soiundstage as well as they dont go all the way in, but the highs are considerably better with UM56. can be dulled ever so slightly with foams in general

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #40 of 90
Overall, the W3 edges out the 530. I listen to both about equally now.

W3 is better ergonomically, nicer, thin cable. W3 is better all around sound, especially the highs and maybe the far low end.

530/500 is slightly better midrange, good for vocals/guitars. At least that is what was obvious when doing an A/B test between the 530 and the W3.

If I had to pick one, it would be the W3. The fat 530 cable is annoying and hurts my ears when it gets tugged. And who needs the push to hear feature? Its an expensive gimmick and unnecessarily breaks up the cable. My cable is always coming apart when I use the 530's in the health club (rock music for motivation). If they let me trade the cable to the kind that the W3 has, then it is a more even comparison, maybe 55/45, like a previous poster said. With the current cables, its more like 70/30.

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #41 of 90
Quote:

I prefer comply to olives on anything. I used the long (standard) comply; and still do occasionally use comply on my SE530. the long comply give great soiundstage as well as they dont go all the way in, but the highs are considerably better with UM56. can be dulled ever so slightly with foams in general

Have you tried the yellow foamies? They help bring out the treble to a natural state. I think the W3's treble is unnatural. You will never hear treble that pronounced in a concert or other live event. The SE530s is a very natural sounding IEM, I guess nowadays natural sound is not preferred anymore....aw well...The Shure SE530 with the olives installed has dull unnatural HIGHS but when the yellow foamies are place on the HIGHS become natural.

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #42 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried the yellow foamies? They help bring out the treble to a natural state. I think the W3's treble is unnatural. You will never hear treble that pronounced in a concert or other live event. The SE530s is a very natural sounding IEM, I guess nowadays natural sound is not preferred anymore....aw well...The Shure SE530 with the olives installed has dull unnatural HIGHS but when the yellow foamies are place on the HIGHS become natural.

I know you see yourself as a bit of a SE530 expert; but yes i've tried the yellow foams. who really cares when I have UM56?? the W3 with UM56 and a fantastic source/amp combo is flooring. the highs are not at all too pronounced and the mid-bass problem (which IMO is a result of tips more than the IEM themselves) is barely noticable. SE530 are not natural sounding; natural midrange is nowhere near that forward. thats not to say the midrange isnt awesome, because it is, but its not natural IMO

this is not to put-down your efforts to find the best SE530 experience; your dedication is complete

Mar 15, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #44 of 90
Quote:

I've been thinking of getting custom tips for my 530's, how much do they stick out with the custom tips? And is the sound quality more like the flanges/yellow foams or the olives?

Mar 15, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #45 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And that is exactly why I commented on difficulty of perfecting the fit. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back