Are the Sennheisers HD580 good for rock music?
Jun 11, 2004 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

mAsh

Head-Fier
Ok, Im about to purchase the HD580s, but Im wondering whether they are good for rock music? I want to replace my el cheapo $50 headphones with something much more worthwhile for music listening, and I was hardlocked between the Grado SR225 and Senns HD580. However, I realised that I can only buy the HD580s since the online shop I order from only has the Senns (tough to ship internationally, good shop). So I was wondering, if they are good. I dont want a comparisson between the Grados, I just want to know if Im going to enjoy music. Im not much an audiophile as such (untrained ear). I know they are excellent headphones, but are they acceptable for rock?

Are the HD25 a better choice?

Jun 11, 2004 at 11:42 AM Post #2 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by mAsh
Ok, Im about to purchase the HD580s, but Im wondering whether they are good for rock music?

no.

Jun 11, 2004 at 11:55 AM Post #3 of 43
I'd say the HD 580 are better for rock than for example the Beyerdynamic 880 but that's only because the Beyerdynamic 880 really suck for rock. Frankly, the HD 580 isn't very well suited for rock because its sound signature is rather dark and smooth compared to Grados.
The grado Sr 225 are awesome for rock, maybe even the best headphones for rock. I actually preferred the Sr 125 for rock but that's only personal preference. You simply can't go wrong with Grados for rock music.

Jun 11, 2004 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 43
Yes they are, if you like their sound (like I do).

If you like more upfront sound, then perhaps not.

It's down to your ears - don't listen to others who say what you should like.

Jun 11, 2004 at 1:07 PM Post #8 of 43
I would disagree. I listen mostly to rock (not much metal, but most other variations), and I've never found the HD580s to be disappointing at all. Grados might be a bit better -- I've only heard the SR60, which are good too, but not in the same class -- but I don't think the HD580s are particularly lacking.

Jun 11, 2004 at 1:12 PM Post #9 of 43
You guys are killing me. I dont know what to decide
confused.gif

Jun 11, 2004 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 43
Particularly, the HD580s are going to be your WORST choice. These, along with the HD600s and the HD650s are designed especially for classical and more laid-back music.

For this reason, if you like "most other variations of rock" then, for example, bands that really shine on the HD580s:

Pink Floyd
Nirvana (their laid-back songs)
Phish
The Grateful Dead

And anything else more laid-back.

The Grados sr-225s are going to be much more your cup of tea if you listen to mainly just rock (anything from the beatles to Marylin Manson). Just get the flat pads, and they will sound even better and they will be closer to the comfort level of the HD580s.

Jun 11, 2004 at 2:15 PM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Particularly, the HD580s are going to be your WORST choice. These, along with the HD600s and the HD650s are designed especially for classical and more laid-back music.

For this reason, if you like "most other variations of rock" then, for example, bands that really shine on the HD580s:

Pink Floyd
Nirvana (their laid-back songs)
Phish
The Grateful Dead

And anything else more laid-back.

The Grados sr-225s are going to be much more your cup of tea if you listen to mainly just rock (anything from the beatles to Marylin Manson). Just get the flat pads, and they will sound even better and they will be closer to the comfort level of the HD580s.

Just as halcyon said, it really comes down to your preferences. And I wouldn't say that the HD 580 are the worst for rock. They, e.g., deliver a lot of ambiant information and the Sennheisers can really encloud you into the music and that in my opinion applies to all sorts of music. If possible you should give both headphones a try. For exmaple everybody on this forum was raving about how good vocals sound on the Beyerdynamic 880 in comparison to the Sennheisers and how the Sennheisers are superior in other areas, well for me it was the other way round. This is just one exmaple of course.

Nonetheless, in most cases the majority won't be telling you lies, which is why the Grados surely are a wise choice if you don't have the possibility to audition some headphones.

Jun 11, 2004 at 2:21 PM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
ditto.

^ What he said.

I'll make your decision easy. Get some Grado SR-225's
-Mag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back