Are the masses expecting bass where there is no bass?
Jan 25, 2011 at 6:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Trysaeder

1000+ Head-Fier
I think a lot of people have had the experience where a friend says 'dude, these have no bass' after showing them a headphone. Heaps of popular songs that are known as bassy, such as shots and like a g6 don't really have kick or slam. Most songs that are played at clubs tend to just have really low notes, rather than a relatively tone less bass slam.

When I listen to songs that I have heard extremely loudly even through my er-20 at home, I feel like my M50 and tf10 cannot reproduce that pulse disrupting explosion from those massive speakers. I don't have iBuds so I can't tell how people listen to these normally, but I think it's safe to say that people expect anything more than the basic (stock buds) to perform 'properly'. 

Having said that, does anyone know of a cheap (~$50) headphone or iem that does have a massive kick or slam? I know the xb700 is known for its bass, but it doesn't really have a lot of impact.

The only time I ever meet bass is when I listen to some oceanlab or above and beyond, both of which have really nice, tight, kicking bass. I do want my new pop/club/dance songs to have this kick, and it seems like all my friends feel the same.

Those massive speakers can't be mimicked even by a +15 boost in the lows (perhaps my tf10 can but I haven't tried it), so I doubt anything other than a real 2 metre tall bass monster could do it.

Jan 25, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 4
XB500. It's got massive slam/impact, bass that you can "feel", much more than XB700 and what I think is the biggest impact of all headphones so far (not even a match for DT770 Pro/80 or Denon D1100 or Beats), it may need some EQing for best result as it's at least IMO slightly too smooth sounding unEQd (too excessive upper bass emphasis and slight lack of treble presence) but once EQ'd it'll sound very good for $50. I'd also ultimately rather wanna "feel" the bass rather than hear it, XB500 satisfies me most on this part so far. BTW Oceanlab is also one of my fav artists, especially Satellite track has been through quite a few hrs in total probably. :)

EQ settings like this (minimalistic EQ settings only for best possible balance)

I also use another EQ setting myself but above should be fine for most people. With an EQ setting like this (this probably ONLY works great if using kX Audio drivers):

I don't have to exaggerate about "speaker-like" subwoofer impact though while still having mids and highs coming out fine with great detail too (like I said this is probably only something that could be said when using kX Audio driver's EQ as no software EQ I've tried could bring anywhere close to the quality I get tweaking kX Audio's EQ).

EDIT: Here's an Excel diagram for the EQ settings:

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 4
Listening to the XB500 at the moment, they don't kick much more than the XB700 at normal listening levels without any tinkering or equalizer, however, RPG stands by the 500s as the beat-all cans with his kX audio setup. Could be worth a look...

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 4
Well XB700 does fairly good in bass "kick" too if using the right source/amp with it (I tested it with Gary's PA2V2 which certainly increased the bass punch but it sounded too unnatural in my ears), XB500 is much easier driven (the easiest driven headphone I've tried so far which is a bit weird concidering it's also got the biggest bass quantity and low frequencies require more power than high so) so the difference should be bigger the weaker source is used or vice versa. I was missing bass impact in XB700, it was always too soft for me while the XB500 got on the border of even too much slam/impact. I'm only looking for balanced deep soft rumbling vs upper punchy bass though and XB500 delivers that. I'd rate XB700 like 70/30% deep/upper bass emphasize balance ratio while XB500 is like 46/54% (both ampless running out of a typical computer soundcard, Audigy 2 ZS or some X-Fi chip or ASUS etc), just a tiny bit punchier than deep rumbling. Could be you think the deep bass is perhaps a bit strong for your taste as well as XB500 and 700 delivers deep bass easier than 99% of the headphones around. But believe me, all the headphones I have tried have very strong bass output and XB500 has the strongest and most delicious bass and good overall sound with a bit EQing for my ears. But it all depends what you're looking for and the genres you're listening to etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back