Are the M50's the sweet spot in the Headphone line up?
Jun 22, 2013 at 9:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Flognuts

100+ Head-Fier
I got my hands on a pair today, and I gotta say they are amazing for the price.....they are the best price to performance headphone I have ever heard. They take me back to the days when I first heard a good set of headphones and just enjoyed the music. I now know why people rave about these, they are very easy to get along with. 

I have higher end headphones that these could replace and I would not care. 

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 10
They were the 'budget darlings' on this forum for quite a while, but the praise has vanished for different reasons.
Partly because of the Head-fi-ers need to satisfy an unsatiable hunger for more and better: buy a pair, praise the hell out of them and sell them after two months for something better.
Partly because of the queste for affordable neutral and accurate sound in headphones: 'fun headphones' are generally regarded as second-tier on this forum.
Partly because there were/are other headphones that are different, not better sounding per se which were overlooked.
And I have a feeling that there is a need for hypes on this forum. If everyone likes a particular kind of headphones there has to be a new king.

Just read this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/591059/a-concise-view-of-why-the-ath-m50-is-no-longer-king

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 10
They are very nice. They strike an incredible balance for the price that's just plain hard to compete with. Sure there are headphones that are cheaper that *definitely* do things better. But I doubt there is any headphone in that price bracket that does *everything* better.

My hd681 evos came close...very close. But still don't beat the m50 in *everything*. 
More detailed? check
More soundstage? check
More neutral? check

Yet the m50 just has that "oomf" that makes music so cool and enjoyable

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 10
I recently bought the ATH M50 and at least 8 other headphones over the last 2 months. I've been auditioning (i.e. buying and returning) some of them, other's I bought 2nd hand and have listed them here or eBay as I move through them.

My reasoning went like this: I can ask questions until I'm blue in the face, or I can simply experience them.

So I set aside $1,000 or so and went nuts ordering headphones (rather, my credit card has been getting slammed). I'll get almost all of it back, minus the cost of the pair that "wins" and also misc shipping expense that aren't recoverable.

So, what did I learn about the M50 specifically? It's worth the hype. But the key is to understand the hype. I suspect many here believe as I once did that the M50 is delivering $300 quality headphones for $100-$150ish. If you buy your headphones from Best Buy, this is true. The ATH M50s destroy any and all Beats. I'll stand by that. They destroy most of what you find in retail stores, because retail stores are overpriced and sell more based on visual aesthetics rather than sound quality. 

But, in the head-fi world, the M50s are a good value, but you're not truly getting more than what you're paying for. I got mine for $110 and they're worth every penny. I've paid more than that for headphones that should have cost less.

Now, about the sound: they're great and nothing has been able to beat the sub-bass they generated when amped by a Digizoid. Nothing. The only true basshead can I tried next to the M50 was the Crossfade LP1 and it couldn't go as low as the M50. It was louder, sure, but muddy, uncontrolled, and just couldn't hit those lower Hz ranges.

The mids are recessed, but it's not that big a deal.

The highs are artificially boosted, but not normally sibilant except in the incredibly rare exception of a few poorly mastered albums. Check out Thom Yorke's album "Atoms for Peace". If your highs are pronounced, this album will reveal them. Don't worry, it's not annoying. Fatigue will take hours to set in.

Overall, the reason I'm not sticking with them is sound stage. They're completely 2D. Not claustrophobic, but as close as you can get to claustrophobic. Sound stage isn't something I learned to appreciate until I had gotten a good 50 hours of critical listening. IMHO, this is the achilles heel of the ATH M50. The unnatural sounding highs and lows are slight weaknesses, not glaring flaws, but the flattened sound stage most certainly is.

In summary, they're a great reference point, they're certainly worth the price of admission. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones and just be content with your purchase. Me? I'm a lost cause. I've become hopelessly addicted. My current favorite is the A900x and a couple times a week I'll hop online and scout a replacement in this futile, endless search for perfection. Maybe the M50 should be reclassified as an aural gateway drug.

Jun 23, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 10
I have also the ATH-M50LE and many other much more expensive headphones from Stax. The M50´s are top for the price and i using they many often on my mac with Fiio E10 for listening music and gaming.
L3000.gif
With a good amp like Lake People G100 there will be play a little bit better!

The Denon AH-D 1000/1001 also such a headphone with a top price performance.

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #6 of 10
I never understood the hype about the m50s. I bought them a while ago and I hated them. Bloated, overemphasized bass, tinny highs, and an extremely recessed midrange. They just sounded lifeless and congested to me. I couldn't imagine why anyone would want them. Honestly, i'd  rather use my six dollar monoprice iems. I personally think they are almost as bad as beats, but hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #7 of 10
I've owned over 30+ pairs of headphones (check my profile to see which ones I've owned) and I have to agree that the M50's are hard to beat for around 100 dollars.  I think it also really depends on what type of music one listens to though.  Most of the music I listen to is RnB and hiphop, and I think the M50s are VERY impressive for these genres, especially if you replace the stock earpads.

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #8 of 10
I've never been a fan of the M50, too recessed mids, too slow and blown up bass, not very refined treble, not much detail and texture overall. Here in the EU the M50 costs 150€, which will almost get you the Soundmagic HP100. Now the HP100 is a completely different beast. The HP100 is without a doubt the best value for money i experienced since i joined head-fi many years ago and over 100 headphones later. These make the M50 sound like cheap crap. For 160-170€ you get a headphone that easily plays up there with the 500€ crowd. I personally prefered them over my W3000ANV and Ultrasone Sig Pro for example. The HP100 can't match the mids of those headphones but they are just more involving to my ears.

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
They were the 'budget darlings' on this forum for quite a while, but the praise has vanished for different reasons.
Partly because of the Head-fi-ers need to satisfy an unsatiable hunger for more and better: buy a pair, praise the hell out of them and sell them after two months for something better.
Partly because of the queste for affordable neutral and accurate sound in headphones: 'fun headphones' are generally regarded as second-tier on this forum.
Partly because there were/are other headphones that are different, not better sounding per se which were overlooked.
And I have a feeling that there is a need for hypes on this forum. If everyone likes a particular kind of headphones there has to be a new king.

Just read this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/591059/a-concise-view-of-why-the-ath-m50-is-no-longer-king

Which is why the rule of thumb is to trust your own ears. I've bought way too many headphones based on hype-trains here, and in reality the headphones I enjoy the most are ones that aren't hyped at all: K701, W5000, HFI2400, SRH1840, HD700.

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Which is why the rule of thumb is to trust your own ears. I've bought way too many headphones based on hype-trains here, and in reality the headphones I enjoy the most are ones that aren't hyped at all: K701, W5000, HFI2400, SRH1840, HD700.

Mostly because you were too late to this board and missed the K701 and W5000 hypetrains :wink: The W5000 is one of my all time favourites too. For me: W5000 > L3000 >  W3000ANV > everything else...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back