Are the M-50s right for me?
Sep 28, 2010 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sotolicious

New Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 22, 2010
Posts
3
Likes
0
Hey this is my first post on Head-fi, but I've been lurking for over a year now.  
 
About a year ago, I purchased the Audio Technica AD700's after searching about on head-fi and I love listening to them every minute, they are perfect in my opinion.  I listen to a lot of jazz, electronic, and rock and I found that these headphones were great for me.  But now I want to get a set of closed cans to go with my open ones (for loud environments and such).  Doing the same as I did for my first purchase I looked around here and the reviews for the M50 are glowing and they sound like they fit the bill for what I want.
 
The question is, are the M50s right for me?  I really like the AD700s because of the soundstage and the general sound quality of the headphones.  I realize that a lot of that will be lost, but I guess that will happen with most closed back headphones.  I'm just sort of worried that I have been spoiled with the AD700s and I will be disappointed when I get the M50s.  I was just wondering if there are any alternatives I should know of or if I shouldn't be worrying so much before I hit the button.  Thanks
 
Sep 28, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 11

jschristian44

Member of the Trade: Justin's Headphone Modding
CAUTION: Incomplete trades
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Posts
1,156
Likes
13
if i had money for a second pair id get the m50's.  they sound like awesome headphones.  i myself have the ad700's and your right, they are specatular.  honestly though, you will lose the whole soundstage most of it anyways, but the clarity will still be there along with some bass.  have to burn them in though of course.
 
Sep 28, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 11

tdockweiler

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 1, 2007
Posts
6,935
Likes
328
Location
Portage, Michigan
I hate to say it, but to my ears the M50's are nothing like the AD700. I have no problems suggesting the M50s, but I don't think you would love them if you thought the AD700 was perfect.
 
Compared to the AD700 there is going to be much less detail (just not as forward I mean), the soundstage is a lot worse, but it more bass. Overall, they do sound good, but not everyone will like them. If you can get them for cheap and have a good return policy it may still be worth the risk to try them. People who don't like a lot of bass probably won't like them.
 
I honestly can't think of anything close to the sound signature of the AD700 that's closed. There's the DT-880 which you might like, but it's Semi-Open. They even make a 32 ohm version. I know you're not looking for an IEM, but the RE0 almost sounds like the AD700 to me!
 
Wish I had some more suggestions for you.
 
Quote:
Hey this is my first post on Head-fi, but I've been lurking for over a year now.  
 
About a year ago, I purchased the Audio Technica AD700's after searching about on head-fi and I love listening to them every minute, they are perfect in my opinion.  I listen to a lot of jazz, electronic, and rock and I found that these headphones were great for me.  But now I want to get a set of closed cans to go with my open ones (for loud environments and such).  Doing the same as I did for my first purchase I looked around here and the reviews for the M50 are glowing.
 
The question is, are the M50s right for me?  I really like the AD700s because of the soundstage and the general sound quality of the headphones.  I realize that a lot of that will be lost, but I guess that will happen with most closed back headphones.  I'm just sort of worried that I have been spoiled with the AD700s and I will be disappointed when I get the M50s.  I was just wondering if there are any alternatives I should know of before I hit the button.  Thanks

 
Sep 28, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 11

leng jai

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 3, 2005
Posts
1,123
Likes
55
Personally if I went for a second pair of headphones I would try and go for a higher end pair, instead of doing a sidestep. Also, I don't really think closed cans are worth getting just because of the isolation as its really not that great. IEMs would be better for that purpose.
 
Sep 28, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #5 of 11

sotolicious

New Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 22, 2010
Posts
3
Likes
0
 
[size=medium]
Thanks for all the advice so far.  I didn't know about the isolation issue, are closed headphones really not the right choice in that category?  Personally, I was just thinking that since I have headphones on most of the time I was just assuming that another pair of full headphones would be the practical and comfortable choice.
 
The thought about IEMs never crossed my mind, thanks for mentioning that.  Right now I own a pair of Sennheiser CX-300s which I think are pretty decent.  The only problem is that they get pretty uncomfortable after about an hour or so.  If I were to go with IEMs, which are some good ones to get? I'm looking in the >=$100 price range (thats why I was aiming for the M50s).
 
Although I was kinda looking for a full set of headphones, if isolation is really an issue I guess I wouldn't be as up for it.
[/size]

 
Sep 28, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 11

tdockweiler

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 1, 2007
Posts
6,935
Likes
328
Location
Portage, Michigan

You should look into the RE0. For comfort you can even use the Comply foam with them, but the double flange inserts work best.
They sound like the AD700 to me and have about the same amount of bass. They cost about $100 I believe.
 
 
 
Quote:
 
Thanks for all the advice so far.  I didn't know about the isolation issue, are closed headphones really not the right choice in that category?  Personally, I was just thinking that since I have headphones on most of the time I was just assuming that another pair of full headphones would be the practical and comfortable choice.
 
The thought about IEMs never crossed my mind, thanks for mentioning that.  Right now I own a pair of Sennheiser CX-300s which I think are pretty decent.  The only problem is that they get pretty uncomfortable after about an hour or so.  If I were to go with IEMs, which are some good ones to get? I'm looking in the >=$100 price range (thats why I was aiming for the M50s).
 
Although I was kinda looking for a full set of headphones, if isolation is really an issue I guess I wouldn't be as up for it.

 
Sep 28, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 11

jschristian44

Member of the Trade: Justin's Headphone Modding
CAUTION: Incomplete trades
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Posts
1,156
Likes
13

i thought he was looking for something more with bass?  why get a headphone that sounds just like the ad700 when he already has it?
Quote:
You should look into the RE0. For comfort you can even use the Comply foam with them, but the double flange inserts work best.
They sound like the AD700 to me and have about the same amount of bass. They cost about $100 I believe.
 
 
 

 
Sep 28, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 11

tdockweiler

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 1, 2007
Posts
6,935
Likes
328
Location
Portage, Michigan

Nowhere in his post did he mention he wanted something with more bass. I read it as him wanting something like the AD700 that was CLOSED.
Quote:
i thought he was looking for something more with bass?  why get a headphone that sounds just like the ad700 when he already has it?

 
Sep 28, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #10 of 11

sotolicious

New Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 22, 2010
Posts
3
Likes
0
Thanks again for the recommendations, I'll have to look into the re0 as well as other IEMs.  I guess I should have been more specific about what I wanted in the original post though.  I was looking for anything really, change would be interesting, however I did really like the sound of the AD700 and wanted something that was just as good or better.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top