Are the HD650's forgiving?
Sep 29, 2009 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Bohemianism

100+ Head-Fier
I'm wanting to buy a pair of HD650's and I was just wondering if they are forgiving at all to music that isn't mastered brilliantly. I don't want headphones that are brutal and deem my poorly recorded music unlistenable.

I've heard that they are more forgiving than their contemporaries, so that's what steered me to them I just wanted to clarify it some more.

Sep 29, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #2 of 25
Depends. 650s are very accurate, so things like compression artifacts stand out a bit more. Stuff like vinyl hiss/scratches/pops actually sound better on my 650s than on my Grados, though, making my 650s my go-to vinyl cans.

Also, 650s demand a decent amp too.

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #4 of 25
Hmmm... from my experience, I would say the HD650's have a smoother signature. I would not say forgiving, but I am sure you will find more ruthless cans out there.

Agree that they need a good amp to drive them to their fullest.

Sep 29, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #5 of 25
My WooAudio6 should be posted out in the next couple of days, so I have an amp. I am most excited!
It's just on like Zeppelin and other raw rock that I don't want sounding **** because the headphones are too analytical if that makes sense.

Sep 29, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 25
The HD650 are incredible in a manner that they sound forgiving (smooth and veiled) but they aren't. Staxes forgave much more for me.

Sep 29, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bohemianism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wanting to buy a pair of HD650's and I was just wondering if they are forgiving at all to music that isn't mastered brilliantly. I don't want headphones that are brutal and deem my poorly recorded music unlistenable.

I've heard that they are more forgiving than their contemporaries, so that's what steered me to them I just wanted to clarify it some more.

They are some of the most forgiving midrange headphones I can think of, if not the most forgiving.
Smooth as a buttercup!

Sep 29, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #8 of 25
Well I'll definately get them then. I was already leaning towards them but just wanted to check.
That smooth as a buttercup only served as a cherry on top of my decision
wink_face.gif

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #9 of 25
FWIW, I found the HD650s somewhat warm and muffled sounding with a prominent lower midrange. I suspect that they would sound fairly "safe" and pleasing on most material. However, for me, I found them lacking detail, as I prefer my K702s....

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #10 of 25
You'll find them forgiving, but give them time to burn in, at least 200 hours, before making a judgement. Before that, like most phones, they can have a slight cutting edge.

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #11 of 25
I've owned HD650, MS-2, MS-Pro, Woodied HF-1, RS-1, K3000 and heard DT-990 extensively as well and the HD650 is the most forgiving of all of those to my ears.

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #12 of 25
I think you're on the right track. They are paradoxically both forgiving and revealing...somehow!

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bohemianism /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They are indead very forgiving, They are surely not very revealing on source and really not the most detailed headphone out there but scale well with amplification surely.

You really have to provoke these headphones with some really crappy recordings to make them show sibilance and such
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #15 of 25
It depends greatly on your amp. The more revealing your amp, the more revealing the HD-650. The HD-650 can be brutally revealing with the right amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back