Are the Grado SR80's or the Sennheiser HD-280's better?
Nov 29, 2004 at 2:06 AM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgreene
hey saturn im just curious how much did you pay for your 280's?

The 280 first drew my attention when I was tempted by the $57 refurb at ecost, but after tax and handling charge, and after reading their policies and their definition of what a refurb is, the deal was no longer worth it.
I went with J&R, they only display the $100 suggested retail, but they'll email you a price of $80, shipped free from NY.

Nov 29, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #17 of 19
I've been looking into buying a pair of phones as a hi-fi fix until I can get a receiver and some B&W's. I'm looking to spend from 50-100 and I've heard the SR-80's from a friend and I really liked them. The problem being that I listen to primarily pop/rock but I still like and listen to vocal jazz, acoustic, classical and some R&B. I've read a bit and people say the SR-80's are too bright and/or muddled for classical and jazz. Additionally, I probably won't be listening with an amp for a while, so would I not be deriving any benefits from the SR-80? If anyone has some better alternatives or thoughts, I'd be glad to hear them.

Nov 29, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by XiaoNio
I've been looking into buying a pair of phones as a hi-fi fix until I can get a receiver and some B&W's. I'm looking to spend from 50-100 and I've heard the SR-80's from a friend and I really liked them. The problem being that I listen to primarily pop/rock but I still like and listen to vocal jazz, acoustic, classical and some R&B. I've read a bit and people say the SR-80's are too bright and/or muddled for classical and jazz. Additionally, I probably won't be listening with an amp for a while, so would I not be deriving any benefits from the SR-80? If anyone has some better alternatives or thoughts, I'd be glad to hear them.

welcome to head-fi...sorry about your wallet.

grados are suggested around here for rock/pop...but i also listen to jazz/classical with them and like it. grados are more forward sounding and are not muddled, IMO...i find them to be very detailed. their stronger midrange may suggest a bit of muddle, but i don't think so.

without an amp, the sr60 is the way to go...and i'll say it again - i think the sr60 are the best value headphones PERIOD. so much sound for so little dough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back