Are the Grado SR80's or the Sennheiser HD-280's better?
Nov 28, 2004 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 19
It depends on where you'll be listening. Outside or in areas where there is any sort of noise, the 'flat' HD280 will have more substance to the music as you're not hearing everythign else around you. At home or in areas where there is no (and I mean no) noise, The SR80's will probably provide a superior listening experience for your tastes.

Nov 28, 2004 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 19
They have a very different sound. The Senns will be more laid back, the Grado's will be clearer and more in your face. If you need to block out a lot of external noise, go for the Senns. If you don't mind an open headphone, the Grados will likely sound better to you, especially given the type of music you'll be listening to.

I own the 280s and use them when traveling and listening to classical music. I also own a pair of Grado 225s and I use them exclusively when listening to rock music.

Nov 28, 2004 at 5:21 PM Post #4 of 19
You'll find a lot more people who prefer the SR80 to the HD280. I own and love the 280 but most people down here don't. I find the Grados in general to have bass that is too strong, but it is nonetheless a very popular sound.

Also be careful with the Grado pads. People here have been playing around with the three different types of pads available for the Grados; Flats, bowls and softs. They change the sound quite significantly.

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

I find the Grados in general to have bass that is too strong, but it is nonetheless a very popular sound.

Really? More people seem to find them thin or average in the bass department. The only Grado I've heard the "too much bass" criticism with is the new PS-1. Although the bass presence does depend alot on the pads used as well. I find the comfies/Senn 414 bring the bass up to louder levels(I've heard the flats do this as well) while the bowls tend to put less emphasis on the bass.

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 19
i had the 280's for a week then after I returned them I started my grado collecting time....

never looking back.

the 280's are completely the opp of the 80's

280 are laid back and flat, if you dont have a good amp forget them cause even the 280's need a mircale amp to bring them to life.

the 80's have the grado forward sound but sound good in anything. the thing you have to get used to the grados on how they sit on your ears...very odd compared to the 280's but if you can youll enjoy so much more...

try the 80's before you buy anything! just give yourself some time to get used to the feel of the grado way..
also please feel free to order from our sponsor TTVJ.com
he has a 30 day return thingy so if you dont like then send them back!!!

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:41 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jam_Master_J
Really? More people seem to find them thin or average in the bass department. The only Grado I've heard the "too much bass" criticism with is the new PS-1. Although the bass presence does depend alot on the pads used as well. I find the comfies/Senn 414 bring the bass up to louder levels(I've heard the flats do this as well) while the bowls tend to put less emphasis on the bass.

I can see where people get that, but its a different bass for me...

The grados because they sit more on your ear then around it like others have a more firing in your ear drum bass, the other phones that sit around your ear have a more hit your skull cause of the surrounding pads.

I think most grados have bass that can only be the grado bass...even the 80's got the direct impact eAR drum style to some extent.

Nov 28, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
i had the 280's for a week then after I returned them I started my grado collecting time....

never looking back.

the 280's are completely the opp of the 80's

280 are laid back and flat, if you dont have a good amp forget them cause even the 280's need a mircale amp to bring them to life.

the 80's have the grado forward sound but sound good in anything. the thing you have to get used to the grados on how they sit on your ears...very odd compared to the 280's but if you can youll enjoy so much more...

try the 80's before you buy anything! just give yourself some time to get used to the feel of the grado way..
also please feel free to order from our sponsor TTVJ.com
he has a 30 day return thingy so if you dont like then send them back!!!

i agree with bhd812...i had the sr80 and the hd280 at the same time. i hated the hd280...it was anemic, dry, and not fun at all. plus, it was way to big and bulky. for rock music, you'll love the grados. and i would also suggest the sr60 over the sr80.

Nov 28, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #10 of 19
Last week I spent about an hour auditioning an HD280, both straight out of a portable and amped. The amp did improve it significantly, but I still didn't find it impressive compared to any decent open phone I've heard (except for the low bass). Afterwards I took a brief listen to the SR60 and its sound was vastly superior. I still ended up ordering the HD280 because I need a closed phone and it seems to be the only one that could meet my criteria at that price point, but if isolation isn't important I'm not sure why anyone would buy one over any Grado for sound quality, and I'm saying that as someone with (soon to be) five Sennheisers and one grattly Grado...
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
I own the 280s and use them when traveling and listening to classical music.

But I tried them on just about everything but classical, so maybe they handle that better than I'd expect based on my listen.
One thing to note, I spoke to the guy at the store and it sounds like the pair I tried probably only had about 35 hours on them, so if they really improve as much as some say after hundreds of hours, maybe their SQ gets a little more competitive. So take that fwiw.
Of course if by "better" you mean better built and more comfortable, the 280 is indeed better.
Good luck with your search.

Nov 29, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #12 of 19
I own both, and the SR-80's are a more lively, better overall experience in my opinion. But in noisy environments the Grados are useless and sound like a $10 pair of headphones -- A side effect of being so very open.

The 280's I have specifically for this purpose. They do have a laid back sound, and when I need more bass I use my superdual amp. But they sound nice even sitting next to a Jet engine (on the inside of the plane, duh
wink.gif
)

I'm pretty flexible on my listenning habits, but I would expect most people would love one and hate the other purely because of the "experience" from each. Typically I would expect Grado lovers to look more the direction of the Audio Technica 500/700/900 for closed cans, and Senn lovers to look at the rest of the Senn line for open cans.

Nov 29, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild
..snip... I would expect Grado lovers to look more the direction of the Audio Technica 500/700/900 for closed cans, and Senn lovers to look at the rest of the Senn line for open cans.

So, what does a Grado/Senn lover (like myself) get when I want closed cans? I'm struggling with the decision on the the A900, K271, HD280, 250-80... that everyone loves and hates, buys and returns. My head is swimming with people's opinions and I don't have a store nearby to try them. [i've about $100-200 to spend]

Nov 29, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by geardoc
So, what does a Grado/Senn lover (like myself) get when I want closed cans? I'm struggling with the decision on the the A900, K271, HD280, 250-80... that everyone loves and hates, buys and returns. My head is swimming with people's opinions and I don't have a store nearby to try them. [i've about $100-200 to spend]

I don't know about your personal tastes, but based on my reading and my own Grado/Senn likes, I'm pretty certain that my next closed can for home use will be the A700 (enough people can't tell the difference between it and the A900 that I don't see a reason to spend the extra $40).

The catch is, of course, that I haven't had a chance to hear them since they are imports and I know no other headphone freaks (heck, I only know one or two audophiles, and they are more old-school than me). So take that with a grain of salt.

Nov 29, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #15 of 19
If you're going to with one or the other, I'd DEFINITELY say the SR80s. But if I was you I'd go with the sr60s instead of the SR80s. The sr60s are even MORE fun, and for the budget price you pay for both, you'll accomplish more with the SR60s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back