Are the Grado SR 125/225 the best headphones for me?
Apr 21, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by tony4563
Ian. Thanks for your reply. I did indeed try the MS'2's with comfies (from my MS1's) Bowls (provided with MS2's) and Todds Flatts (bought earlier in the year) They just wouldn't stay on my head if I moved. How does your SR225 compare with the MS1's? Are they clearer and more detailed? I must admit, the jump to MS2 from MS1 was not as I imagined. Sure, it was a better sound which I liked, but they were only subtle changes for a lot more money.
I'd have kept them though regardless, if it wasn't for the comfort issue

I've only had them this way for a few hours, and I'm having pretty good luck so far. But what I'm doing with my MS-1s, and I find them a whole lot more stable on my head, is to run my Senns 414s reversed!

I don't know if it would have helped you or not, though. But I do find the comfort issue distressing as I was rather strongly considering the MS-2s as an update as well!

Another can to consider, and one I have also been starting to look at is the RS-2. It's a little difficult to get a real handle on what the RS-2 is really like as there isn't a whole lot of info available, and what there is is often conterdictory. Buy they are a lot lighter and they "almost" seem to snuggle right in there in sonic characteristics with the Alessandro group almost better than with the Grados!!

Apr 22, 2006 at 8:27 AM Post #18 of 34
Well, I've been up nearly all night like a saddo checking reviews and reading threads about the SR225. I eventually ordered them. If they are as light as the MS1's, stay on my head when I bend or move and have a touch more detail in the top end and a little more bass in the bottom then I'll be happy.
biggrin.gif
I was thinking of maybe ordering a woodie Grado, but they looked bigger chamberwise and I didn't want to be back to square one again. Plus they are a lot more dosh than I wanted to pay for headphones. Will I get what I wanted moving from an MS1 to SR225? Did I do the right thing?
confused.gif

Apr 22, 2006 at 10:57 AM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Well, I've been up nearly all night like a saddo checking reviews and reading threads about the SR225. I eventually ordered them.

Quote:

Did I do the right thing?
confused.gif

Hehe, same here. Being in Germany, I too payed quite a lot (expecting to join the 'no money at all but great headphones club' soon). We'll see.
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2006 at 11:12 AM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
For rock you cannot go wrong with Grado SR225s. The AKGs are good for classical and jazz and the Senns are good all-arounders.

I find AKGs better all rounders than Senns. I'd place them in between Grados and Senns in terms of their presentation and sound signature.

Apr 22, 2006 at 11:41 AM Post #21 of 34
It's long been said that Grado only makes 3 headphones... 60, 225, RS-1. Ignore the others
wink.gif
The 325 especially is one to avoid like the plague for lack of comfort and overly bright presentation.

To be fair now there is the HF-1 and PS-1 but they aren't cheap.

May 5, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #22 of 34
Got my Grados yesterday.

First impressions after two days of intense listening... Well. Please tell me those horrible highs will lose their pain and headache-producing effect with different pads (hd414-pads are ordered) and/or burn-in.
With the sound I'm experiencing now I don't see how these could possibly be called "rock phones". While the instrument separation is incredible, the electric guitars sound almost tinny to me due to the distortion (?). No emotional impact there at all. Gets slightly better with reversed bowls, but then comfort becomes an issue. Not enjoyable.

On the other hand, these are much better jazz phones, IMO. Especially small-group jazz really shines. Sax, trumpet and bass solos sound incredible and the interaction is just plain exciting. I *never* heard Coltrane like this. Acoustic music sounds great as well.
(Piano still sounds a bit unusual to me, though.)

Generally, the whole spectrum sounds not so grounded compared to the PortaPro (I know, not the best comparison phone, but what am I to do...
wink.gif
) with a much more airy feel to it.
So far I'd say they are much more suited for jazz than rock music.
Heh, I guess I'm just too used to that warm muddy base of my Koss phones
wink.gif

However, these are just first impressions. I will post more later.

May 5, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #23 of 34
"First impressions after two days of intense listening... Well. Please tell me those horrible highs will lose their pain and headache-producing effect with different pads."

No those highs are there to stay for the most part. You can temper them some by using Todd's flat pads. Using the flats will give you more bass, but it won't be as good of quality bass (a little less detailed, flabby), and they will help to bring the high end down some. Unfortunately, for me, I was never able to tame the high end acceptably on the 225's, and had to sell them. I still own Grados, but had to move up line considerably to solve the problem.

-augustwest

May 5, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #24 of 34
Don't waste your time on SR125 and go for SR225, if you will choose Grado of course. You will love them, I DO VERY MUCH.
eggosmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mynon.
Thanks for all your answers and tips. I think i'm inclined to buy the Grado and if I don't like them, I'll return them and get the hd 595 instead. Still have to decide on whether to get the 125 or the 225, though.

May 5, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

... Well. Please tell me those horrible highs will lose their pain and headache-producing effect with different pads (hd414-pads are ordered) and/or burn-in.

They will! I have a set of 225s. The first week I had them I could hardly listen to them. I started burning them in by letting music play through them for three days at a time. Then I would spend a few hours listening to them and then repeat the cycle. I did this for a month and now I love them. Be patient and you will be rewarded with some sweet sounding cans.

Don't mess with other pads until you have given them a chance to burn in.

May 5, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Got my Grados yesterday.

First impressions after two days of intense listening... Well. Please tell me those horrible highs will lose their pain and headache-producing effect with different pads (hd414-pads are ordered) and/or burn-in.
With the sound I'm experiencing now I don't see how these could possibly be called "rock phones"...
However, these are just first impressions. I will post more later.

Thanks for posting your impressions. I think it helps everyone when someone checks back in after taking the advice given here.
Although I didn't post in this thread before, I probably would have recommended the SR225s along with everyone else. They really are a fantastic headphone, but you don't seem to be crazy about them. Hopefully they'll grow on you.
Your impressions are way different than mine. I feel that grados aren't that great for jazz. It just goes to show that everyone's ears are different and that it really helps to audition as many headphones as you can.

May 6, 2006 at 10:13 AM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
It's long been said that Grado only makes 3 headphones... 60, 225, RS-1. Ignore the others
wink.gif
The 325 especially is one to avoid like the plague for lack of comfort and overly bright presentation.

To be fair now there is the HF-1 and PS-1 but they aren't cheap.

You know, the funny thing is, I found the sr125 overly bright and the 325i quite mellow. (in comparison) The 325 (silver) was brighter than the gold ones though. I presume that you mean 325, not 325i?

I would go for the 325i moreso than the 225, (Which I also have) but then again, I may have odd ears or an odd head or something!!
tongue.gif

Ian

May 7, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Well, I've been up nearly all night like a saddo checking reviews and reading threads about the SR225. I eventually ordered them. If they are as light as the MS1's, stay on my head when I bend or move and have a touch more detail in the top end and a little more bass in the bottom then I'll be happy.
biggrin.gif
I was thinking of maybe ordering a woodie Grado, but they looked bigger chamberwise and I didn't want to be back to square one again. Plus they are a lot more dosh than I wanted to pay for headphones. Will I get what I wanted moving from an MS1 to SR225? Did I do the right thing?
confused.gif

I have been listening to the MS2i and the MS Pro and doing A-B comparisons with the same material. I would say the MS Pro is a significant upgrade and definitely worth the extra dosh. Its an unusual blend of detail, emotion, and finese.

May 7, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #29 of 34
You are lucky enough to audition two pairs and choose the best. Unfortunately I'm relying on reviews from you guys, as Grados/Alessandros are hard to audition in the UK without buying first. Basically if you choose and don't like then it's tough luck with some online UK stores. I've purchased my 225's from Todd who I believe, has a 30 day returns policy. If they are an improvement on the MS1's (great cans anyway) in the bass and detail departments then I'll be more than happy....Fingers crossed.
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #30 of 34
I received my 225s about a week and a half ago. I must say after about 40 hours of burn in I'm loving these phones. I tried MS1's but they were too bright in the upper mids for my tastes, almost as if they were trying to make Grado sound more like Sennheiser, and they lacked bass Out of the box, the 225s sound ok but not spectacular. As you burn them in, in my experience, the bass gets stronger, the mids more full and detailed, and the highs pretty much stay put except that they are a bit smoother. The funny thing is, I found the comfort issue completely reversed... I found the MS1 pads to be very annoying, but my ears are small enough that they fit almost entirely inside the bowls, and are much more comfortable. The scrathy-ness (?) of the bowls is still a very minor concern for me, but it got much better after 2 days, and will probably get even better as time goes by. Anyways, I guess my point is not to give up on the 225s. I can't wait for my full burn in to be complete if I am already this satisfied!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back