Are the Grado SR 125/225 the best headphones for me?
May 10, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #31 of 34
I'm surprised no one mentioned the Goldring DR150s. They are supposed to have a similar sonic presentation to the KSC-75s, which are similar to the PortaPros. But, of course, the DR 150s are much improved over those.

So my advice would be to send back the SR225s and get the Goldrings, though they would take a while to get to you since (afaik) they are not in stock right now.

Updated to add: And I agree with the SR225s being a little too airy - not grounded. That is the biggest reason why I find myself reaching for my KSC-35s over the SR225s. As for the HD-595s, I have come to dislike them for their muffled sound (over 400 hours of listening and they sound just about the same as when I started - muffled, but still with some high-frequency harshness). If your ears and sonic preferences are like mine, the HD-595s will be a big disappointment.

May 11, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #32 of 34
Some more impressions.
First of all let me confirm that the listening experience gets more satisfying with increased burn-in (whatever got "burnt-in" here, me or the headphones). The comfort is o.k.; the bass is better and more present now, the highs less excessive.
Generally, I still admire the separation and presence of these phones. However, I still find them sounding a bit tinny from time to time. Some sounds, piano for instance, just don't sound right; vocals are very weak too, at least that's my impression. And I still don't find them "grounded" enough.
So yeah, I guess after all it just isn't my sound. At least not my PERFECT sound
biggrin.gif
. Well, I'll keep looking around. No offence, Grado crowd =)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25
I'm surprised no one mentioned the Goldring DR150s. They are supposed to have a similar sonic presentation to the KSC-75s, which are similar to the PortaPros. But, of course, the DR 150s are much improved over those.
So my advice would be to send back the SR225s and get the Goldrings, though they would take a while to get to you since (afaik) they are not in stock right now.

Updated to add: And I agree with the SR225s being a little too airy - not grounded. That is the biggest reason why I find myself reaching for my KSC-35s over the SR225s. As for the HD-595s, I have come to dislike them for their muffled sound (over 400 hours of listening and they sound just about the same as when I started - muffled, but still with some high-frequency harshness). If your ears and sonic preferences are like mine, the HD-595s will be a big disappointment.

Thank you very much for the impressions about the hd595!
As a matter of fact I've been looking for a Goldring 150, especially since I very much love the Koss-like sound, but it's near impossible to get them shipped to Germany without a credit card.
mad.gif
[size=xx-small]so if anyone is selling those...[/size]

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Coming back to this thread having done exactly like you suggested - giving back the SR225s and getting some Goldring DR150s instead - I must say this was the right choice. The DR150's reputation for being a "bigger brother" of Koss phones seems to hit the nail on the head. It's all the warm embrace of my beloved PortaPro set with a tad more control and separation
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe still a bit mote aggressive, but for instance the piano sound, which I thought was rather tinny with the SR225, is fuller, an the bass friendlier, without being muddled.
So if anyone else has had the same experience, or a similar sonic preference, and is considering to go for the SR225, I recommend checking out the Goldring DR150 set first. Very nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It just goes to show that everyone's ears are different and that it really helps to audition as many headphones as you can.

QFT!

Oct 19, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #34 of 34
I think if ou gave the Grados more time, you would them not as harsh in the treble range as you described. Though it could have been the amp was not matched to to the headphones for our taste. I enjoy m ad8397 based amp with the grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back