Are the Grado SR 125/225 the best headphones for me?
Apr 20, 2006 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

mynon.

New Head-Fier
Hi there!

I have owned the Koss ProtaPro for a long time now (they were my first conscious quality listening experience), and as much as I like them, I feel like it's time to move on. Especially since i got sucked into the interesting discussions on this great forum and the prospect of greater gear waiting to be purchased out there.

Looking for what could be "my" sort of headphones, I stumbled across (well... found
wink.gif
) this forum; I have read quite some interesting discussions here.
Now my only problem is that, because the provided information is plenty, I got slightly confused.

The music I listen to is mainly rock like Zeppelin, Who etc. (having said that I'm no everything-louder-than-everything else type, I really enjoy nice mastering (e.g. Hoffman) and love "falling" into deep sound spaces by pink floyd or king crimson, for instance); and some jazz and blues.

So far I more or less have focused my attention on these headphones:
Grado SR 125/225, Sennheiser HD 555/595, and AKG K 501.
The headphones shouldn't be much more expensive than those.

I've read several times that the Grado are great 'rock' headphones, so these would be my favourite so far; however, I hope this epithet doesn't imply failure on other sounds or details. The comfort is a minus, i mean, being used to the very nice PortaPro fit and all, are these bearable?
biggrin.gif
Also, would going up to the 225 be worth the money?
The other alternatives have good reviews as well; The AKG seems to be perfect for classical music; don't know if this is right for me.
I had a chance to try out the Sennheiser HD 555 at a store and really liked it. My only concern is the often-mentioned "relaxed" sound of the Sennheisers which make them a candidate for mere background listening, which I almost never do.
However, the most emotional reactions are about the Grado
wink.gif

Portable would be a nice plus, but actually the PortaPro is enough for that purpose, i think.
I wouldn't say no to buying an ampifier if that really improved the quality of a given headphone and was worth the purchase.

As you see, I'm full of neurotic DOUBT. Make me a believer of any of these or other comparable headphones, please
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 34
For rock you cannot go wrong with Grado SR225s. The AKGs are good for classical and jazz and the Senns are good all-arounders.

Apr 20, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 34
I just recieved my SR-225s yesterday and christened them with The Who - Who's Next. It sounded excellent, sharper and stronger than with my old MS-1s without the sibilance that I found very fatiguing on my old SR-60s. And this is without any burn in.

SR-225s are defiantely my favorite rock can that I've heard, I prefer them even to the MS2i and 325i (I didn't like the 'metallic' sound they seemed to have). But from what I've read, the HF-1s might be a bit better.

SR-125s are a bit different than SR-225s in that they are much brighter and harsher. This might be something to keep in mind when comparing the two.

Grados seem to be a love or hate headphone. You either love the agressive sound and lack of soundstage (or 'upfront' nature if you like) or can't stand it. I think that really accounts for the emotional reactions they seem to recieve.

Now I'm curious now as to how the Flat pads would effect the SR-225s...

Apr 20, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mynon.
I've read several times that the Grado are great 'rock' headphones, so these would be my favourite so far; however, I hope this epithet doesn't imply failure on other sounds or details. The comfort is a minus, i mean, being used to the very nice PortaPro fit and all, are these bearable?
biggrin.gif
A

Well, I own the portaPros and find them very comfortable. Having worn my freind's SR125, I did found it to be fine comfort wise, and didn't have problem with the high end at all. It was bright, but not the the point of annoyingness (for me anyway
tongue.gif
)

Apr 20, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murdoch
...unless you get fatigued by the grado sound signature, which many here do, myself included. I'd say go with the hd595 instead. As darkninja says, they are good all rounders.

Yeah I agree. Some people hate the fatigue, both sonic and physical, from some Grados. I guess that is why I like to have nice alternative when I am not in that Grado state of mind.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 34
for people that keeps mentioning that SR125 is harsh compared to SR225. IT isn't. It's your source and music. Yes it's true that SR225 is warmer and the treble smoother compared to SR125. Listen to some audiophile recording labels (chesky, fim, Naim, or anything recorded by Jim Anderson) thru SR125 and you will not hear ANY harshness. Listen to some low bit rate or badly recorded music and yes you will hear harshness. It has good detailed highs.

It's also a great deal:
such as -> http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=174111
eggosmile.gif

Apr 20, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 34
I would try to buy them from a seller with a good return policy. Based on your musical tastes, you will probably like them...but fatigue can be an issue. (I listen mostly to rock, bought the 225s with fairly high expectations, and decided to return them after a three week trial...I found them to be just too bright for my tastes and not the most comfortable phones either.)

Apr 21, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 34
Thanks for all your answers and tips. I think i'm inclined to buy the Grado and if I don't like them, I'll return them and get the hd 595 instead. Still have to decide on whether to get the 125 or the 225, though.

Apr 21, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #10 of 34
Well I have now used the Sr60,80,125,225. I presently own both the Grado sr80's and just recently got the 225's. I cant give enough praise to the 225's. They sound incredible. I listen to Rock, Rap, Instrumental and also watch movies with them and they sound incredible with all those. Bass is definately more present and well handled then the lower models. I also noticed these are nowhere as fatiguing as the others. I got my Grado's from HCM Audio online and recommend them big time if you plan on getting them. They always ship fast and product is top notch.

Apr 21, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #11 of 34
I have sadly, returned some MS2's back to Alessandro after only a couple of days. The sound compared to my Ms1's was a lot more detailed with better bass. However, they were SO uncomfortable for me. They were heavy and I was always aware of them on my head, unlike the MS1's. Everytime I moved my head they would slip, even with Todds Flats. I was always adjusting them, again unlike my MS1's when I could move and my nod head to the music without pushing them back. I was not enjoying my music
confused.gif
So what now? My options are:

1. Stick with the MS1's and run ( but I've got upgraditis)
2. Consider saving for a Grado/Alessandro with a wooden chamber (RS1/MS Pro)
3. Grado SR225

How heavy are the 225's and the RS1'S/MS Pro's. Do they fall off your head like the aluminium chamber type of the MS2's?

Sorry to waffle on..Any help appreciated.
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by tony4563
I have sadly, returned some MS2's back to Alessandro after only a couple of days. The sound compared to my Ms1's was a lot more detailed with better bass. However, they were SO uncomfortable for me.

How heavy are the 225's and the RS1'S/MS Pro's. Do they fall off your head like the aluminium chamber type of the MS2's?

Sorry to waffle on..Any help appreciated.
biggrin.gif

Hi Tony,

That's sad about the MS2. I love the MS1 and would love to try the MS2. I also have some 225's. If you pull the earcups apart for comfort, you could easily go too far and they would drop off quite easily.

However, I'm not keen on those pads and it isn't long before I'm reaching for comfies. I think I must have delicate lugs. Can't keep them on. Unfortunately, the first pair I bought, I had the very same problem and then went and sold them. I bought another pair and fitted comfies so now I can wear them as long as I like. I also have Todd's flats.

The result is more bass and less soundstage but they still sound great. I think that I slightly prefer the bowls for sound but just can't keep them on for long before it becomes uncomfortable.

It's a shame that you didn't try the MS2's with flats or comfies.

Ian

Apr 21, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #13 of 34
Ian. Thanks for your reply. I did indeed try the MS'2's with comfies (from my MS1's) Bowls (provided with MS2's) and Todds Flatts (bought earlier in the year) They just wouldn't stay on my head if I moved. How does your SR225 compare with the MS1's? Are they clearer and more detailed? I must admit, the jump to MS2 from MS1 was not as I imagined. Sure, it was a better sound which I liked, but they were only subtle changes for a lot more money.
I'd have kept them though regardless, if it wasn't for the comfort issue

Apr 21, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #14 of 34
The 225 is more detailed than the MS1. I'm not convinced that the price difference reflects the amount of improvement though. The 225 has more of a 'controlled' wallop in the bass I suppose and a very clean and clear top. Sometimes, I'd like a bit more deep bass and actually, changing to the Beyer DT880 provides the really deep stuff. (Subtle, but there is more)

My problem is the 225 compared to the MS2!!!

The 225 is a better headphone imo than the MS1 but it's not huge. The MS1 is a bargain.

The problem here is also UK prices. Grados are very expensive in the UK so MS1 and MS2 are much better value.

Ian

Apr 21, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #15 of 34
Well I'm in rip off Britain too, so I know where your 're coming from regarding prices. The MS1's were £58 delivered (customs missed me
biggrin.gif
) and MS2's £175 + £13 (customs got me) It was a lot of money extra for just a smidging more detail in the highs and a better,deeper bass. Thats why I'm looking at the 225's maybe. Are they bigger and heavier than the MS1's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back