Are the Beastie Boys remasters worth getting if you have the originals?
Mar 19, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #2 of 12
I have only picked up the "Paul's Boutique" remaster, and though I can't really say the sound is that much of a marked improvement, that album will always be an all-time classic of mine. I have to admit, the packaging is very cool, replicating the original eight-panel, fold-out vinyl edition, and worth picking up for that.

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #3 of 12
I too bought Paul's Boutique and it mostly failed double blind testing for me. There were a few times I could tell minor differences, but I'd even struggle to say it was actually an improvement one way or the other. They seemed an odd, at best, candidate for remastering. However remastering is, a lot of times, just an excuse for repackaging to get hardcore fans and collectors to buy more stuff, which they are happy to oblige. Some albums legitimately need to be remastered, most of the Beastie Boys catalog don't and these remasters are proof of that.

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 12
NO

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #10 of 12
Worth it? Hmmm…I dunno…I get the impression that audiophiles tend to evaluate hip-hop—any hip-hop—differently than they do, say, jazz or Bob Dylan. I have the vinyl remaster of Paul's Boutique and the sound is definitely fuller…gives the music a bit more bounce. Can't say it reveals new things in the mix, though. I'm glad I have it, but I think that ultimately value is in the ear of the behearer…

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 12
Why should we? We could disagree or start mocking you but I don't see reason to do for I collect CDs and CDs are very good carriers of music
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why should we? We could disagree or start mocking you but I don't see reason to do for I collect CDs and CDs are very good carriers of music
smily_headphones1.gif

Not quite sure what all that means…though I'm sure you do.
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back