Are the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 a good buy at this price?
Apr 28, 2012 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

katabatik

New Head-Fier
Hi

After reading literally hundreds of posts and opinions on the foruns and dozen of reviews on the net, I thought I would settle with the ATH-AD700. One of the reasons was the good price/performance ratio. However, I found out that here in Europe there is no way I can buy them for less than 150 Euros (about $200) + shipping, considerably more than they cost in the US. I started to ask myself if they are still a good choice at this price.

I'm currently using Yuin G2A clip-ons, my laptop being the source. I'm satisfied with them, given the price, but I want to upgrade to something better sounding and more confortable. I'm ready to spend up to 150 Euros on some good headphones. I don't intend to buy other phones in the next few years, so I'll have to live with my choice for a long time.

I listen mainly to solo piano, solo classical guitar, classical music, opera, jazz and new age. I will also use them to watch movies on my laptop. I like to feel immersed by the music as if the instruments were around me, or in the case of movies, as if people were talking next to me. That is one of the reasons I thought I would like the ATH-AD700 - due to their soundstage. I also like a clear sound. I have a Sennheiser headset that I just don't use to listen to music because it sounds muffled - one of my worst buys ever. They suck as headphones and the mic is not worth the price, not even half the price. I'm sort of a newbie when it comes to audio gear, so I can't be more specific. Sorry.

Something foldable would be nice but not essential. Confort is also a consideration. My Yuins make my ear hurt after a couple of hours. I don't own an amp and don't intend to buy one unless it is really small and costs under 40 Euros.

So, for 150 Euros/$200 should I still buy the ATH-AD700 or should I spend my money elsewhere?

Edit: I don't have a chance to test headphones. Where I live there are no good quality audio dealers. Just regular appliances shops that sell mainly junk.

Apr 28, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 5
It really depends on how much other things cost. I know europe can be expensive. Try asking someone in the US if they can buy a pair then ship it to you. They're under $100 in the states =/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back