Are the ATH-M50s still worth buying?
Oct 14, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #16 of 21
I am liking them a lot. I find that without the Fiio E11 the bass seems a little weak for my liking but it sound really nice and deep. I haven't spent too much time with them burning them in but I have noticed they are getting cleaner and clearer the more I listen to them!

Really happy with my purchase but I am super tempted to buy some Ultrasone HFI-780's or some Beyerdynamic Pro 770 250 ohm. I wish I could go to a store and try these out but there is zero options for something like that in Canada I swear...

Oct 14, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:
The Audio-technicas are a good choice, but based on your zeal for bass, I highly recommend the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros. Built quite ruggedly for great durability, they have fantastic, thunderous bass response unlike anything else I've heard in the <$200. IMO, they are much better than the Sony XBs as well since the Beyers do not sacrifice as much mids. Plus, they are über-comfortable; their velour pads are like pillows.
I've always enjoyed my pair of DT770s before selling them to get the Denon D2Ks. While the Denon's bass is arguably best <$350, there are just some days I still miss my DT770s.
I currently own a M50 and they aren't a bad choice. But compared to the DT770s, they have significantly less bass response and are about a trillion percent less comfortable.
If you're interested, be aware there are several models out there. 3 models are based on impedance: 32, 80, and 250. I had the 80 ohm version. I wouldn't buy the 250s unless I had an amp. 32 ohm models are the easiest to drive off an iPod, but they are rare and a tad expensive (found over $200).
Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply. Honestly, they sound like a good set of headphones but I just don't like the way that they look. (I know its shallow) I'm getting headphones to listen to at school and I thought that the dt770 looked kinda ugly... I don't need a flashy pair of headphones but I don't want them to look bad either. Any other headphones that you know of <$200 that are comfortable, have good bass that doesn't bleed into the mids, and is relatively portable? Thanks  

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #19 of 21
i have both the m50 andseveral others mentioned here.  I don't think there is that much difference in sound between the 770s and the m50s.  there is a difference in comfort.  however with your ipod as a source, you will need an amp with either to make them work their best.  I also suggest a line out.  a fiio e 11 and a $10 fiio line out has worked well for me.  if you use a mini plug to mini plug connection, you might as well skip the amp

Oct 19, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #20 of 21
i have both the m50 andseveral others mentioned here.  I don't think there is that much difference in sound between the 770s and the m50s.  there is a difference in comfort.  however with your ipod as a source, you will need an amp with either to make them work their best.  I also suggest a line out.  a fiio e 11 and a $10 fiio line out has worked well for me.  if you use a mini plug to mini plug connection, you might as well skip the amp

What about a digizoid zo2? Would that greatly increase the sq on the m50s?

Oct 19, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #21 of 21
They are on Amazon for $119.99 good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back