Are the ATH-M50s still worth buying?
Oct 7, 2012 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

MisterMulberry

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. This is my first post on the website and i'm basically looking for some good headphones that go well with my ipod nano 4th gen. Previously ive owned some Skullcandy 50/50s and some Skullcandy Agents. Specifically i was looking at the ath m50's but im unsure on whether there the best headphones for my current specifications.
I have a price range of 200$..
Im in High School.
I listen to dubstep (not skrillex), alt rock, rock, and metal.
Does anyone have some suggestions better than the ath m50? Thanks.

Oct 7, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:
Audio products don't really get outdated easily.  I'd recommend them.  They're a perfect mix of bass for dubstep, mids for rock and portability/isolation for school usage.

Alright then i'm probably going to order those. Is there anything else i'd need to get with them? Ive looked around and a lot of people say you don't need an amp for them.

Oct 8, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #9 of 21
I have always enjoyed the M50s... I think they are a great set of budget closed headphones! I don't really understand some of the hate they seem to get these days.... haha :)

Oct 8, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #10 of 21
Excellent headphones. I would buy the Fiio E6... it does a great job for some extra volume, and has some basic (well executed) EQ functionality. Been using the M50s with a ALO National recently - and that further "increased" the sound quality for me. Certain amps really change the character of recordings (for better or worse). As a rock/metal listener myself I recommend the M50s - but maybe chuck in that E6 to the shopping cart. I does make a difference. 

Enjoy!

Oct 8, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #11 of 21
For 250 you could get the mad dogs by mrspeakers ( a user here on the forums). They are ridiculously awesome for the price range. I've auditioned the M50s for a week and would choose the Mad Dogs hands down over the M50s. If 200 is your max range then the M50s are still a fantastic option

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Oct 8, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #12 of 21
I'd definitely recommend an amp with the M50, even a relatively small amp like the E6 should be more than enough. The standard ipod amp has a very rolled off bass when paired with the M50.

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #14 of 21
Get them! I got mine 2 days ago and i love them. Its amazing how many different types of sounds they can pick up. Most noticable thing that impressed me was when i was watching a random interview on youtube - these cans picked up the sound of the table moving or even when someone laid a cup on the table after taking a drink. Pretty amazing if u ask me.

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #15 of 21
The Audio-technicas are a good choice, but based on your zeal for bass, I highly recommend the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros. Built quite ruggedly for great durability, they have fantastic, thunderous bass response unlike anything else I've heard in the <$200. IMO, they are much better than the Sony XBs as well since the Beyers do not sacrifice as much mids. Plus, they are über-comfortable; their velour pads are like pillows.

I've always enjoyed my pair of DT770s before selling them to get the Denon D2Ks. While the Denon's bass is arguably best <$350, there are just some days I still miss my DT770s.

I currently own a M50 and they aren't a bad choice. But compared to the DT770s, they have significantly less bass response and are about a trillion percent less comfortable.

If you're interested, be aware there are several models out there. 3 models are based on impedance: 32, 80, and 250. I had the 80 ohm version. I wouldn't buy the 250s unless I had an amp. 32 ohm models are the easiest to drive off an iPod, but they are rare and a tad expensive (found over $200).

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back