Are the ATH-AD900 for me?
Sep 26, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #31 of 55
The AD900s are resolving phones so it may show the sonical limitations of your computer source. Something to keep in mind.

Sep 26, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #32 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD900s are resolving phones so it may show the sonical limitations of your computer source. Something to keep in mind.

hm...im not quite sure what u mean by that. could u please explain?

Sep 27, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #33 of 55
I find that the Ad900s reveal the audio characteristics of my sources more so than any other phone I've tried.

Sep 27, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #34 of 55
Quote:

I find that the Ad900s reveal the audio characteristics of my sources more so than any other phone I've tried.

ooo i see..so is that a good thing? lol. and does that affect my computer as being the source in any way?

Sep 27, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #35 of 55
What phones do you use with your computer? The HD595s? I don't own them but I've read that they're good for the price. If your computer sounds good to you with mid range phones, then I'd think you'll be fine. I'm not entirely sure how resolving the HD595s are though compared to the AD900s. Do they seem detailed to you?

I'm currently using my notebook (Gateway MD7330u) as my computer source and the headphone out actually sound quite decent with the AD900s. My Xps Gen 2 frankly, did not. So it's largely dependent on the computer as well. Unlike what most will say here, not all on board soundcards suck balls. At least from my limited experience.

Sep 27, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #36 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by my.self /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uses ill be using these for:
-gaming
-web surfing (youtube videos and audio related stuff)
-some music, not much tho, if i listen to music, its thru my fuze and ie7's.

ill be upgrading from hd595's.

i hear these are better than the ad700 (which my friend has) in all ways? is that true?

im basically checking to see if these are good for all arounders i suppose and good soundstage for gaming?

I think the AD900 are an excellent all-rounder. In fact my AD900 have more hours than any other headphone for that reason. I have other headphones that I prefer for music but I grab the AD900 for everything else. Their positioning is the second best I've ever heard. They're comfortable, durable, light weight, cool, easy to drive, and one of the best headphones for vocals.

I would agree that at $100 the MS1 is an amazing value and even though the AD900 is not a good value at it's price it's still far better than the MS1.

Sep 27, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #37 of 55
Quote:

What phones do you use with your computer? The HD595s? I don't own them but I've read that they're good for the price. If your computer sounds good to you with mid range phones, then I'd think you'll be fine. I'm not entirely sure how resolving the HD595s are though compared to the AD900s. Do they seem detailed to you?

I'm currently using my notebook (Gateway MD7330u) as my computer source and the headphone out actually sound quite decent with the AD900s. My Xps Gen 2 frankly, did not. So it's largely dependent on the computer as well. Unlike what most will say here, not all on board soundcards suck balls. At least from my limited experience.

yup, i just use my hd595's with them. and uh yea i suppose they sound pretty good. the thing is tho, i dont have a lot of experience with computers/headphones to really know whats good and whats not.

my hd595's are my only real set of cans that i ever owned. before these, i had px100's and ath-es7's which i hated. i currently also have ie7's which i love.

as for my computer being the source, ive ALWAYS used integrated onboard audio. i NEVER used or had an aftermarket sound card. so i dont really know what itll sound like. i am considering getting a soundcard but not sure yet.

Sep 27, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #38 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the AD900 are an excellent all-rounder. In fact my AD900 have more hours than any other headphone for that reason. I have other headphones that I prefer for music but I grab the AD900 for everything else. Their positioning is the second best I've ever heard. They're comfortable, durable, light weight, cool, easy to drive, and one of the best headphones for vocals.

I would agree that at $100 the MS1 is an amazing value and even though the AD900 is not a good value at it's price it's still far better than the MS1.

hmm..im glad to hear that they're excellent all-rounders haha. ive owned 3 products so far by sennheiser and i wanted to get audio technica another try. the first time i tried them was when i got my ath-es7's which i hated.

Sep 27, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #39 of 55
Well I couldn't take it any more. I wanted to wait for a pair of used AD900's to show up in the FS forum but just couldn't stand it. I ordered a pair from Accessory Jack for just shy of $300CAN including shipping and paypal fee's. So now I just have to wait for them to arrive. Coming from Australia I suspect it will be a week or two before they arrive. I just hope customs doesn't slaughter me on these.

Sep 27, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #40 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coming from Australia I suspect it will be a week or two before they arrive. I just hope customs doesn't slaughter me on these.

I waited for my A900Ti about that long, which had to come from Hong Kong. So yes, coming from Australia, your AD900 should probably take about as long. You will be delighted, I'm sure. Of my two Audio-Technicas, neither is my absolute favorite. They both have their strengths. The best thing is that neither really has any weaknesses. If I really had to mention one slight weakness of the AD900, though, I'd say it's the bass quantity. Bass quality, texture and detail is amazing, it just lacks a bit of bass quantity. Vocals are heavenly. Listening to vocal-centric music is truly amazing. Put on your AD900, play Blueberry Pancakes by Fink and - wham! - you're addicted.

To both your headphone and Fink. Which is a very good thing.
atsmile.gif

Sep 27, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #41 of 55
Thanks Bengt77;

I own the AD700 which has the same sound for bass and don't mind the AD700, I hear the AD900 has a bit better bass which is part of the reason I bought it as I have not been able to find a BD, Senn, or AKG that I like as much due to the midrange and treble of the AD700. Every phone that has better bass has had other issues. I'll try the song you mentioned when I get these :).

Oh I also should mention I have a kick butt little amp from RWAudio with just the right Opamps to warm up the AD700 and 900 when I get them.

I also own a blutak modded ES7 with softer velour pads for at work and when I want more bass. I think between the 3 ATH's I will be happy for a good long while.

Sep 28, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #44 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by t3hggnore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, I'm guessing EQing didn't make the bass better for you, Bengt77? I cranked my lower bass up a few dB and was pretty satisfied...

Can you believe I haven't tried that yet, even though I've owned my AD900 for close to two years now?

Sep 28, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #45 of 55
the ad900's soundstage is awesome in my opinion, they can only be rivaled by those like the akg k70x.
the mid is silky smooth to me. unlike the hd580 or hd25-1 of mine, it seems like you can even feel the voice of the singer.
bass is good, but not very excellent. I'm not a basshead thus they hit quite hard to my ears, the bass of the akg k702 is more of my taste.
damn good earpads to be honest. there seems to be no clamping force at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back