Are the amps under $50 any good?
Mar 13, 2007 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Jim McC

100+ Head-Fier
I saw a couple Behringer amps for $20 and $40, and was wondering if they're any good? They scored high in the customer reviews. One was the AMP-800, and the other was the HA-400. I would hook it up to use with my stereo for music and watching movies. It would be used when I need to drive 2 headphones, and I don't want a battery powered one. How do you hook up an amp if you use it with DVD player and a HD satellite receiver? Thanks.

Mar 14, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 20
You have to specify what you are planning to to with the amp. One of those cheap-o's are probably worse than the built in amp in most players, receivers etc.

Mar 14, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 20
I think those amps are meant to be used with low-output line-outs on studio products and prolly are not all that good for listening to music, especially granted that alot of DVD-players and Receivers, have decent headphone-outs to start with. I personally don't believe in bothering with getting an amp below $100, the money is better spent adding to the budget of a good headphone.

Mar 14, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think those amps are meant to be used with low-output line-outs on studio products and prolly are not all that good for listening to music

Ditto: behringer makes studio gear, not hi-fi stuff...

Quote:

I personally don't believe in bothering with getting an amp below $100, the money is better spent adding to the budget of a good headphone.

X2: I believe that cheap amps (40-70 bucks) are only marginally better than the headphone out of a decent home source or portable player... Don't bother...

Mar 14, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #6 of 20
Most commercial amps around that price range most likely won't do much, business is business. Of course, DIY-ing an amp will definitely be worth it for that price. If the PINT was still around, that would be a killer amp for the price. You can still buy similar amps like the GoVibe and MisterX's XP amp (this is actually a PINT) and it'll rock for the price.

Or just DIY yourself a nice CMOY and be happy. Everything to make a great CMOY from DigiKey for damn cheap. Or better yet, make yourself a Sijosae Class-AB, well worth it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 20
Thanks. Right now my headphones(55 ohms) work great plugged into my stereo. But my wife wants me to get a second pair that would be used occasionally at the same time. I won't know if I need an amp until I try them both at once, with a Y-cable thru headphone jack. I'm doing a little advanced scouting. What would be the least expensive amp I could buy to do a decent job? Do these amps just plug into the headphone jack of stereo?

Mar 14, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Headroom Airhead has 2 outputs xD

i'd go that route too =D

and if you need a DAC too, just spend another $50 and you can get the total bithead for ~$200... also 2 headphone jacks of audio fun!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #12 of 20
At that price, not likely to be any better than what you have stock with whatever component you are using.

There are fixed costs, materials cost, labor costs involved to make an product for such a small market as this. For a product that comes in at $50 I wouldn't expect much.

Mar 15, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #13 of 20
Airhead is on sale - $99 >.< Two outputs, plenty of power for headphones.

Mar 15, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #14 of 20
I would use the headphones for DVD's and CD's with my DVD player, and watching movies with my HD satellite. Both of these are hooked up to my stereo. Would the amp hook up to headphone jack, or hook up in the back of receiver somehow? Thanks.

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #15 of 20
dont buy behringer cheap stuff. its garbage. youll make your music sound worse. Its like running music thru a filter that just further degrades the signal without "adding" anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back